What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

Called the Motoskill in Surat Thanni, they need to see my bike with the upper Motoskil crashbars and the SRC Bash plate in order to check if their mounting points  for the lower crash bars are appropriate... I have the Motoskill upper crash bars.   That is long drive for me, and I am not sure if they could install it.. they are  not certain they can or not... I really do not want to buy the SRC upper and lower crash bars that accommodate the SRC bash plate.. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The CB500x had been neglected for a while.. it wasn't revving as freely. It was bogging badly at wide open throttle under 4k. Air filter and plugs were recent.. I checked that nothing has made a home in the intake.

So a  bit of injector cleaner at double prescribed volume and bounced between 7000 to redline for 100km or so got her running sweet again.

I even got a front end lift in first without a bounce up on a backroad!

These engines really do need to be run above 6k regularly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I've got a few vehicles.

I own a Fortuner and 3 motorbikes, PCX, Diavel and Xdiavel.

I ride my PCX the most, easy parking, maneuver ability etc., Fortuner I hate driving (I don't like driving any car).

Riding my Ducati's have to wait for the right moment, late afternoon, no rain, home before dark.

I enjoy riding my Ducati's most but the window of opportunities are limited.

Boring, nerdy, snowflake guys just don't understand us bikers.

I agree on the Ducati comment. For me the window is 6am to 9am, generally a 2 to 3 hour ride to the coast from Bangkok on my 899 Panigale. Rayong, Pattaya etc. Ideally in the cool season.

For those conditions there is nothing like it. The sound, the feel, even the heat. It's all good. 

5pm in Bangkok? Wouldn't even consider it. I'd rather be on a Grom.

For me, they are a weekend bike. A second or third bike. But I don't regret buying mine for a second. 

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I prefer to ride my Ducati early mornings but I've got Termignoni's with dB killers removed. 

I'd be waking up the neighborhood. 

There's a loud Triumph (speed twin) in our moo-baan..  its loud, but its also obvious the owner (rider) is very cautious about the noise levels when riding in and out of the moo-baan, ensuring he keeps the 'revs' to a minimum - quite contentious I'd say.

Then we have another imbecile who has loud exhaust on his scooter and plays loud music from a speaker (attached to his bike) - 10pm or 7am... it doesn't seem to matter - I'm not sure if its a resident, a guess or a 'regular' delivery rider (I've heard him 5 or 6 times)... 

Haven't been able to catch him yet...   But the security should be dealing with this degree of feckwittery... 

I get it... loud pipes save lives... and they definitely warn people around you..  when driving, I always hear a loud bike before I see it... but with that comes the risk that everyone hears you and with that assumptions made that people will be considerate of you approaching which is a dangerous game when we should all assume we are silent and no-one hears us...

Thus - Do loud pipes save lives ? or do they lead us into the false sense of security and riding alters accordingly ????

• Sad 1

Jury is out on loud pipes but anecdotally I tend to thin that they do zero to the power of bugger all in the scheme of things. What loud pipes do do is alienate all riders in the eyes of many in society.

Having ridden bikes and cars on the road since I was able to get a license has demonstrated a few things to me at least.

1. Modern cars' sound deadening and radio on even low volumes defeats all but the most obnoxious of loud pipes.

2. Modern cars' periphery sensors and warning lights on mirrors have been a massive saviour for bike riders in traffic. 

3. With loud pipes in traffic, a driver might know a bike is around. Many loud pipes in traffic suddenly make drivers familiar with the irritating noise and the loud pipes lose their alert value.
If you don't agree, remember when car alarms first came out. Initially when people heard them, they were alarmed and concerned. But eventually people just learned to ignore car alarms. That is basic psychology. It is the same with load pipes.

I personally think that people with loud pipes are the type of people who will happily talk loudly on a phone in a lift or the MRT and have little awareness and respect for others around them.

One of the low level stressors in Thailand is noise pollution. Government could do a lot worse than giving a 6 month moratorium on loud bikes and cars.  After that if you get caught, you get a fine equal to the replacement cost of a standard muffler. If you show up within 28 days of the fine and have a legit muffler, the fine is cancelled. However, if caught again with a non standard exhaust, the vehicle gets confiscated.

Shops selling loud pipes have a month to stop selling their illegal exhausts. Same should be for red and blue lights flashing lights.

55 minutes ago, LS24 said:

What loud pipes do do is alienate all riders in the eyes of many in society.

My Termignoni's give my 1262cc engine an additional 15% horsepower, creeping up around 200hp. 

I'm a show off, I mostly cruise the highways and coastal/country roads doing the speed limit, at times (when safe) I open her up and pull away from the traffic at a set of lights, the loud exhaust note is awesome, music to the ears. 

I never race past the elderly or females, I'm not a bully, I care for other road users and hate those noisy bikes that race past female riders, these girls scare easy.

In Australia my cars, mostly V8's had dual exhausts with extractors/headers, loved the sound. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

My Termignoni's give my 1262cc engine an additional 15% horsepower, creeping up around 200hp. 

I've been a guy who used to wake every last HP out of my bikes. Ducks and the Suzuki twins and aprillias are the few that make a decent note to my ears.

But I gave that up because the extra few hp just isnt worth itritating others or myself or the diminishing returns.

My current GSX-R track bike has kept its stock can and I can't notice the difference on B grade track days. My exhaust I take growl is a much better sound and massively overpowers the exhaust note. You can't get that intake growl without getting the bike moving swiftly as is is air rammed.

You can choose to do what you like. I'm not having a go at individuals. I just gave my opinion on loud exhausts not really being the safety deterent most claim.

At least you admit you have termis for the sound and look factor. Neither of which do much for me personally these days. I much prefer super sharp handling and well suspended bikes rather than looks.

Enjoy the Duck.

Edited by LS24
Typo

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I never race past the elderly or females,

(females)... how do you know in Thailand ???....    cruizin' smoothly past Mint with her 'meat and two veg' just incase he's a she ?... :ninja:

I do enjoy the sound of an engine...   (V8 cars particularly) and as you mention, there is most definitely a time and place, responsible people such as yourself know this and practice this... Unfortunately, there are many who have little regard for anyone else while there are others who tar all with the same brush and seek out offence and outrage at every turn.

On a nice mountain road away from everyone else...  the sounds of sports cars and high powered bikes are as enjoyable to hear as a the jets flying up the Lake Bala Valley (Mach Loop).

But, Sukhumit road (central Bangkok) is not really the place for excessively loud pipes in stop start traffic - its got to be exhausting for the rider. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, LS24 said:

My exhaust I take growl is a much better sound and massively overpowers the exhaust note. You can't get that intake growl without getting the bike moving swiftly as is is air rammed

Yes, I agree to a point but my original Diavel exhaust was the weight of a fridge (bloody heavy), a slip on exhaust reduces the weight, reduced weight improves handling and 0-100km/h times.

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

(females)... how do you know in Thailand

I just keep the speed down going past the frail, petite and young, these riders are easily identified. 

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, Sukhumit road (central Bangkok) is not really the place for excessively loud pipes in stop start traffic - its got to be exhausting for the rider. 

I live in Pattaya, I see lots of idiots racing down soi Buakhao on their bikes. I avoid these built up areas, I prefer to show of on the highways and rural roads. If I lived in Bangkok I probably wouldn't own a big bike. 

I don't ride long distances on my Ducati's, down through Sattahip and Rayong mainly, at times along the beach roads, along Bang Sare etc. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

If I lived in Bangkok I probably wouldn't own a big bike. 

I do... and I've down graded and have a 300cc scooter...   a large machine is just too much hassle.

Getting out of Bangkok on a Motorcycle is also a hassle because we can't use the expressways/

Whenever I'm going anywhere outside of Bangkok its usually with family, so we of course take the car.

Any time I'd want to travel outside of Bangkok on a Bike, the weather is too hit-n-miss (fare weather riding only).

Living in Bangkok there seems little point in owning a larger bike, other than 'its cos we want to'... (I want to but can't justify that Thruxton RS)... 

So...  its come down to a degree of emasculation & under-seat storage....  in BKK and bike is for convenience and nothing else. 

I know guys who do have larger bikes, Triumphs, R-nine-T's,  Ducatis, BMW GS's etc.. but they are in 'groups' and go on dedicated rides, day trips, weekends away etc...  sadly, its not something I have a great deal of time for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Brilliant. I put 20/50 oil in my Wave AT replacing the 10/30. It has gone all quiet it is almost like having a new bike.:thumbsup:

Gawd, a Wave AT.

How old is she, I haven't seen one for ages.

Why did they stop making them, I reckon it would have been a top seller.

If I remember they were only available for a couple of years.

I like the Wave's, you sit high, 17 inch wheels.

If they were still available I'd probably have one, scooters I only ride automatics. 

IMG_20240102_181336.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Added a new SRC bash plate  and radiator guard to the Strom 1000. Changed oil and filter while I was at it. Had to do a little gentle persuasion to get the bash plate compression mounts to play nicely with the OEM crash bars. But angle grinders have a way of making things work.

IMG_20231228_091002.jpg

MVIMG_20231228_120407.jpg

MVIMG_20231228_100045.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why did they stop making them, I reckon it would have been a top seller.

You reckon wrongly.

Why.?

- Worse fuel economy vs normal Wave.

- Less cargo hauling ability than Click.

Thais buy Waves & Clicks.

Edited by papa al

6 hours ago, papa al said:

Worse fuel economy vs normal Wave.

- Less cargo hauling ability than Click.

Thais buy Waves

Its auto, of course the fuel economy will be worse 

Less cargo but option for front basket. 

Thai's buy Waves, my point exactly, why stop making the AT 

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thai's buy Waves, my point exactly, why stop making the AT 

Clarification for anyone having trouble understanding:

Thais [and the world]

buy auto-clutch Waves

[Wave 110fi is worlds best selling vehicle]

not the CVT type Wave AT.

Cannot put a big sack of rice, case of beer. child  nor family pet

in carrot basket.

AT has both drive-belt and chain to maintain.

Edited by papa al

Wave AT.

In Thailand only 2010 model but still available in Indonesia and Philippines 

Parts still available

Cannot add a basket without surgery

I have fiddled with CVT, fitted trail tires, and used mine in the hills.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 4:31 PM, VocalNeal said:

Brilliant. I put 20/50 oil in my Wave AT replacing the 10/30. It has gone all quiet it is almost like having a new bike.:thumbsup:

Put the same oil in my Zoomer. It has also gone a bit quieter 

• 1 month later...

P_20240227_114439.thumb.jpg.292ad97b1f0ff077ffafc381270affbf.jpg

That circlip can be a right bugger to get back in without the "proper" tool  I fought with it for half hour before  having a lightbulb moment  of using a G clamp and socket  to persuade it into near position, using a screw driver for the final satisfying click into place.

Front bake action restored for a while.