Van crash leaves one teacher dead, 8 others injured in Saraburi

rooster59

55 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm waiting for another PM apology. After all, the dead person and the injured here apparently are civil servants.

Hello, anyone home???

Mmmmmmmmmmmm............"servants" is probably the operative word here, hence no interest by Government? :whistling:

8 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Van crashes in Thailand and gun massacres in America are cut from the same cloth. It's the culture.

How right you are. But get someone with some guts and that culture could be broken. The big problem for both cultures is finding someone that can and will do the right job

4 hours ago, franklnooner said:

The hits just keep on coming. Vans are the most dangerous vehicles on this roads. 

When I'm out riding in town, I'm extra careful around passenger vans and tuk-tuk vans.  Their drivers seem pushy, and seem to jostle for space as if they are motorcy boys.  So, when I read of these terrible accidents on open highway, I can honestly say I am not surprised. 

Another tragedy!

I just drove from Chiang Mai area to Phitsanlok about 6.30 pm it is dark half the way I drive about 110 klm p/h on the highway you just dont see the trucks with dim tail lights until the last 5 seconds and as for motorcycles with no tail lights you get about 2 seconds also past 4 kids on a bike doing 100 klms p/h. In Australia all would have been stopped within 30 minutes and I would have been booked exceeding speed limit probably with in an hour, but I don't exceed the limit in Australia, i need my licence. I do have full international licence to drive in Thailand. I'm not sticking up for van drivers, but i wouldn't travel in one, I have done in the past with a regular driver and told him how to drive.

Point is it all gets back to policing

32 minutes ago, Netease said:

I just drove from Chiang Mai area to Phitsanlok about 6.30 pm it is dark half the way I drive about 110 klm p/h on the highway you just dont see the trucks with dim tail lights until the last 5 seconds and as for motorcycles with no tail lights you get about 2 seconds also past 4 kids on a bike doing 100 klms p/h. In Australia all would have been stopped within 30 minutes and I would have been booked exceeding speed limit probably with in an hour, but I don't exceed the limit in Australia, i need my licence. I do have full international licence to drive in Thailand. I'm not sticking up for van drivers, but i wouldn't travel in one, I have done in the past with a regular driver and told him how to drive.

Point is it all gets back to policing

So you will not speed in Oz but happily do so in Thailand? I  very much doubt you have a full international license to drive anywhere.  As far as I am aware no such thing exists.  An international driving permit perhaps and based on you Aussie license. Unless if course you are resident for three months or more in which case you require a Thai license to be legal.  But you knew that didn't you? 

7 hours ago, tryasimight said:

So you will not speed in Oz but happily do so in Thailand? I  very much doubt you have a full international license to drive anywhere.  As far as I am aware no such thing exists.  An international driving permit perhaps and based on you Aussie license. Unless if course you are resident for three months or more in which case you require a Thai license to be legal.  But you knew that didn't you? 

Your a Troll, Whats your comment got to do with me sharing my experience. Have another whisky Keyboard Hero 

14 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Until the police go after the owners of these Van companies nothing will be done. The owners force the drivers to speed; ignore all laws; and come back as quick as possible so the driver can take another trip. The owners refuse to hire enough drivers; refuse to limit the number of passengers and refuse to put speed governors on these vehicles. Pure greed.

The greed is driven by the passengers in the end. For example...180 baht from BKK to Hua Hin but will passengers pay 300 baht for the same trip that takes 30 minutes longer ? Not likely IMHO. I prefer the bus, even thought they also drive pretty fast but a bit more survivable in a crash.

42 minutes ago, Netease said:

Your a Troll, Whats your comment got to do with me sharing my experience. Have another whisky Keyboard Hero 

Call it a permit then whatever I,m still licence to drive in Thailand and covered by insurance. What is the speed limit to drive at on the open highway?

40 minutes ago, Netease said:

tryasimight is not a troll he is responding the the stupid incorrect statements that you have made the same as I am about to. There is no such thing as a full international license issued in Australia, you can only get an international driving permit that is issued by the automobile associations in each state of Australia. As for your speeding tryasimight has a very valid point about your claim that you would not speed in Australia. THEN WHY SPEED HERE? As tryasimight says if you have lived here for over 3 months then you are required to have a Thai drivers license or you are driving unlicensed. Before you call people trolls and keyboard heroes I suggest that you get all your facts correct about what you are talking about. What is the speed limit on the highway between Chiang Mai and Phitsanlok? 

Phuket passenger van slams into safety rail at famed monument

20 hurt when speeding city bus hits power pole

This is not a van but a number 18 local Bangkok bus

another 2 incidents with buses and vans

11 hours ago, mommysboy said:

When I'm out riding in town, I'm extra careful around passenger vans and tuk-tuk vans.  Their drivers seem pushy, and seem to jostle for space as if they are motorcy boys.  So, when I read of these terrible accidents on open highway, I can honestly say I am not surprised. 

Another tragedy!

If you use the roads in Thailand you put yourself in the mix and no matter how good a driver / rider you are you cannot allow for the unexpected , only to never assume  others actions . E.G. you are driving in an orderly manner in a stream of traffic when a vehicle suddenly veers off track and hits you because the  driver fell asleep or was drunk . OK this can happen in any country but here it is a common scenario . The most alarming events to me are the trucks taking the children to school with kids hanging off the back and on the roof and the truck overtakes me and I am doing 90 kph.  Or a pickup with 16 workers sardined in the back without restraints . Could go on and on as I am sure we all could , so dont hold your breath , nothing is going to change for a long time 

7 minutes ago, superal said:

If you use the roads in Thailand you put yourself in the mix and no matter how good a driver / rider you are you cannot allow for the unexpected , only to never assume  others actions . E.G. you are driving in an orderly manner in a stream of traffic when a vehicle suddenly veers off track and hits you because the  driver fell asleep or was drunk . OK this can happen in any country but here it is a common scenario . The most alarming events to me are the trucks taking the children to school with kids hanging off the back and on the roof and the truck overtakes me and I am doing 90 kph.  Or a pickup with 16 workers sardined in the back without restraints . Could go on and on as I am sure we all could , so dont hold your breath , nothing is going to change for a long time 

It is going to take a long time to change the attitude of Thai's to respect what life is and to do everything possible to protect it. It has been allowed to go on for too long it is instilled into the Thai culture now. 1/3 of Thai's believe that if you die in an automobile accident it is fate, that line of thought by that amount of people is where the problem is and it is going to take some drastic changes to change their attitudes

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

tryasimight is not a troll he is responding the the stupid incorrect statements that you have made the same as I am about to. There is no such thing as a full international license issued in Australia, you can only get an international driving permit that is issued by the automobile associations in each state of Australia. As for your speeding tryasimight has a very valid point about your claim that you would not speed in Australia. THEN WHY SPEED HERE? As tryasimight says if you have lived here for over 3 months then you are required to have a Thai drivers license or you are driving unlicensed. Before you call people trolls and keyboard heroes I suggest that you get all your facts correct about what you are talking about. What is the speed limit on the highway between Chiang Mai and Phitsanlok? 

Ok so its a permit whats the big deal. I was just making a point as to being legal to drive in Thailand. I don't know why that has been picked on . what my point is about authorities doing there job. Its no wonder many people don't post on TV and just read the comments if you have to be exactly politically correct. 

I don't know the speed limit even Thais I drive with can't tell me the speed limit, I usually keep up with the flow of traffic but I would like your help in telling me what the speed limits are.

The subject is getting off topic its about death on Thai roads not political correctness about the name of a document. I haven't been here 3 months, I have been coming her for 27 years and my business in Australia has been dealing with Thais for the same time

But again can can we keep on the topic of the post if you want to talk about me stat another thread

3 minutes ago, Netease said:

Ok so its a permit whats the big deal. I was just making a point as to being legal to drive in Thailand. I don't know why that has been picked on . what my point is about authorities doing there job. Its no wonder many people don't post on TV and just read the comments if you have to be exactly politically correct. 

I don't know the speed limit even Thais I drive with can't tell me the speed limit, I usually keep up with the flow of traffic but I would like your help in telling me what the speed limits are.

The subject is getting off topic its about death on Thai roads not political correctness about the name of a document

If you do not know the road laws then you should not be driving on the roads here. The laws here are not the same as Australia so I would suggest that you get a translated copy The Land Traffic Act BE 2252 (1979) and stop making the stupid remarks that you have been making.

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

If you do not know the road laws then you should not be driving on the roads here. The laws here are not the same as Australia so I would suggest that you get a translated copy The Land Traffic Act BE 2252 (1979) and stop making the stupid remarks that you have been making.

I just asked you a simple question about the speeds I gather you don't know.

I will get a copy where do i get it

7 minutes ago, Netease said:

I wont be in Bangkok until tomorrow to get the rules, I don't intentionally speed just go with the flow but in the mean time could you let me know what the speed limits are

4 minutes ago, Netease said:

Speed limits in Thailand are: Town and city: 60 km/h. Open Roads: 90 km/h. Motorways: 120 km/h.

download on the internet, search google and you will find plenty of copies

17 hours ago, pattayadon said:

Helloooooooooooooooo... Thai government?  Anybody home?  Your people are dying out there!!!!

The BBC or Al Jazeera need to sensationalise this and make a feature documentary out of it including demanding an interview with the Minister of Transport where the buck should stop. They should be asking this person how they can possibly sleep at night with a clear conscience knowingly turning a blind eye to all of this. Not a comment or a single public expression of concern from this person:bah:

On 11/26/2017 at 5:40 PM, michael walker said:

and so it goes on / on daily .thought these vans should be banned from May 2017 the government said !!!!

standard of Thai driving appears to be 2/10 will there never be discipline on such ???? 

Discipline is only spoken about NOT enforced. 

Archived