Xarator 40mg

Badrabbit

Had these tablets for 1 month now after blood test showed high Cholesterol, since the diagnosis I have completely changed my diet to avoid processed foods, no more carbonated drinks etc, diet is now fresh Chicken, vegetables, fruit, pretty much only drink water now, breakfast is now Sultana Bran with white top milk, plenty of daily exercise, do I need to continue taking these tablets for another 2 months which is when I return to hospital for further blood test.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Unless otherwise advised by a doctor you should continue them until at least after your next labs. If those come back within normal limits,could discuss with the doctor decreasing the dosage (say in half, to 20 mg)  then repeat labs in another 2 months, if still OK either cut to 10mg or stop, then repeat etc (always repeat labs about 2 months after making a change in meds or stopping meds)

Would help to know exactly what your labs were, this treatment is not indicated  just for "high cholesterol", would be for a high LDL cholesterol and/or triglycerides.

Levels of HDL are also important though with them, higher is better.

Actually your cholesterol is not bad  Total level is normal,  LDL is a little above optimal but not high and certainly not warranting treatment. HDL is OK but could be higher, for that eat more fish or take fish oil.

Your triglycerides however are really high though and that would be why the medication.

The good news for you is that triglyceride levels respond really well to changes in diet, much more so than do LDL levels. So the prospects for getting off meds is good if you can stick to it.

You don't mention what sort of carbs you are eating but processed carbs are the most important thing to avoid.  So avoid white rice, white breads etc or keep it to minimal amounts and definitely avoid or minimize  sugar, which includes alcohol.

While you are on the statins, may be a good idea to take supplemental Coenzyme Q10 as statins deplete it.  It is not clear if doing so will decrease risk of medication side effects but as it is known that the meds deplete Q10 seems wise regardless.

Between the meds and improved diet your repeat level will almost certainly be dramatically  better (you want it <150), at which point you can consider reducing the meds as discussed above.

For the last month I have eaten fresh Chicken breast with Brocoli, onion, garlic, potatoe, carrot, pumpkin, in a stir fry, Sultana Bran with white top milk, tinned mackerel with brown jasmine rice, all bread has gone unless it is whole meal/grain, no carbonated drinks some beer but not much.

Assorted fruit.

No that is fish sauce...pure salt!

Fish oil is a supplement, comes in gel capsules. Pictures of fish oil here

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.7f2db465XXIQ7n&q=fish oil&searchclickposition=hint

Ignore the expensive "from Sweden" ones, mega brand is fine.

Easy to find in any Boots, watsons,  pharmacy section of a Tesco

One a day should be fine

You want to get your HDL/cholesterol ratio (total cholesterol divided by HDL) to less than 3.5, right now it is 4.3.

A caution (as we often take this without medical consultation) that doctors took me off fish oil/aspirin medications when put on Plavix full time as all work to thin blood and too much can cause other issues (and believe this has a strong medical feeling in Thailand and why aspirin much less likely to be advised than in other countries).  Of course this becomes a greater issue as our age becomes greater.  :saai::smile:

A caution (as we often take this without medical consultation) that doctors took me off fish oil/aspirin medications when put on Plavix full time as all work to thin blood and too much can cause other issues (and believe this has a strong medical feeling in Thailand and why aspirin much less likely to be advised than in other countries).  Of course this becomes a greater issue as our age becomes greater.  :saai:[emoji2]

I'm taking aspirin because of the TIA stroke, if the doctors don't know what they are doing then me and many others are #%£¥€&%

And many of us learned years ago to take aspirin are a prophylactic but that is not something hard and fast and many doctors will not recommend for everyone.  I was just trying to point out that multi blood thinners can become excessive so make sure doctors are aware of non prescription pills that we might be taking - and if you start to see bleeding issues (gums/shaving etc) let him know.  They might want to decrease.

And many of us learned years ago to take aspirin are a prophylactic but that is not something hard and fast and many doctors will not recommend for everyone.  I was just trying to point out that multi blood thinners can become excessive so make sure doctors are aware of non prescription pills that we might be taking - and if you start to see bleeding issues (gums/shaving etc) let him know.  They might want to decrease.

I'm taking 81mg aspirin along with some vitamins oh and Xarator for Cholesterol, next blood test is in Jan where I hope my changed diet along with increased exercise will hopefully allow me to stop all medication or at the very least reduce it.

Archived