BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lynbkk

Muay Thai for teens

Can someone please direct me to any good facility gym (english speaking instructor)  on Rama 3 or sathorn area for Muay Thai or kickboxing for teens, I have 14 years old daughter and she is interested in the sport, if I can join the classes with her will be plus.

Thanks  all :)

May I suggest that you reconsider.

The body blows that can be delivered can and do damage. Even if the child is wearing protective head gear, the brain can still suffer injury.  

Please look at the cumulative health studies on the injuries sustained by kids who play football (soccer), it's an eyeopener, particularly the links to dementia, parkinson's and motor control. Muay Thai and kickboxing  injure joints and soft tissue and leave damage that manifests itself years later with  tissue that  rips easily and  structures that wear out.  There is a reason why the  former Muay Thai boxers have arthritis and movement disorders as they reach middle age. There are other sports such as judo that accomplish the same goal, but do less damage.

Let me help you with an opinion that is not from an old person wot is bitter about how they spent their youth.

you can learn real muay thai, there will be a local gym, avoid the flashy commercial types that will be very good at using up energy in hitting pads - ( that sums up pretty much every commercial gym)

you can do this safely, make sure the trainer knows you do this for heatlh and not for money,

yeah they get arthritus but so do boxers, so do wrestlers,

the brain damage is common to the striking sports but also similar to those of a footballer that does a lot of heading.

if your daughter is getting hit in the head a lot, she should try something else.