61 people killed EVERY DAY: More damning stats reveal the carnage on Thailand’s roads

rooster59

thailand-road-sign-closure-of-hard-shoul

Thailand road sign closure of hard shoulder 'road shoulder to lose' Krabi Province

HARD SHOULDER NOT MOTORCYCLE

country-road-in-krabi-province-in-thaila

Country Road in Krabi Province in Thailand

NOTICE THE NARROW AND BROKEN HARD SHOULDER. VERY DANGEROUS AT HIGH SPEED. MOTORCYCLE IGNORING THE SHOULDER AND ITS DANGERS AND USING REGULAR LANE WHICH HE IS ALLOWED TO.

http://engj.org/index.php/ej/article/download/924/485/

Effective Motorcycle Lane Configuration Thailand

Accepted 28 October 2015
Published 19 August 2016

For Thailand, the idea of MC lane has been around for decades, although rigorous application of this road feature has yet to take hold.

They don't exist except in a very few trial places.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/1/2017 at 1:02 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

The m'bike lanes in LOS are as wide as the one in the photo, but minus the nice "no go" painted strip.

Not only minus the "no go" but minus a white line marking the left edge of the motorcycle lane and another strip of road surface to the left of that. Thailand hard shoulders do not have any of that so cannot be motorcycle lanes.

On 11/26/2017 at 8:26 AM, rooster59 said:

In 2016, 9,666 people were found dead at the scene of a road accident. However in 2017, this figure jumps to 12,078 people killed.

abhorrent in absolute terms; in relative terms, it is hard to attribute causes to such a dramatic increase; the world's worst get worser still ?

imagine if in succeeding years we see similar jumps...

On 11/26/2017 at 3:16 PM, geisha said:

Maybe Thailand could take a lesson from the British ? ( and most European countries ) . Radar , speed checks, heavy fines, even confiscation of véhicule/ bike why not , prison sentence when fines cannot be paid. Road rules, out 5 on a bike, sidecar etc. Alcool tests on public transport , motor bike taxis/ taxis too. Monthly checks on buses and minivans. Proper driving tests. Speed limits, license with points, loads of things to do, if the police were made to do it ! Think of the money they would make from all this ! Of course, the road police would have to be honest ! 

love this your correct in all you say here...

• 4 months later...
On 11/26/2017 at 8:58 AM, ezzra said:

When i travel long distances, what i don't see on the roads is police

presence on bikes and cruisers, and when i see them, they pay no

minds to the traffic around them, you can fly by them speeding and

you'll not get stopped, a lot more police cars and bikes needed to be

patrolling the roads keeping drivers honest, stop and search for alcohol

and drugs use, and heavy fines on the spot for badly behaving drivers, 

put the fear in the hearts and minds of all drivers, show of force urgently

needed, not just the occasional  road blocks....

What!? Want to turn Thailand into a police state just to save lives?

8 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

What!? Want to turn Thailand into a police state just to save lives?

Ezzra, Thailand already has a quarter of a million police.

What do you think you'll achieve with any more?

You also have some very dubious ideas about showboat enforcement can help safety on the roads.

On 11/26/2017 at 3:16 PM, geisha said:

Maybe Thailand could take a lesson from the British ? ( and most European countries ) . Radar , speed checks, heavy fines, even confiscation of véhicule/ bike why not , prison sentence when fines cannot be paid. Road rules, out 5 on a bike, sidecar etc. Alcool tests on public transport , motor bike taxis/ taxis too. Monthly checks on buses and minivans. Proper driving tests. Speed limits, license with points, loads of things to do, if the police were made to do it ! Think of the money they would make from all this ! Of course, the road police would have to be honest ! 

Yet another person who completely misunderstands how UK, and Europe have addressed road safety, and thinks that in the flick of a swiitch it can be applied to Thailand.

The problem is the same with the Thai authorities, they simply are not taking the advice of just about every road safety authority in the world...including their own.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:50 AM, missoura said:

A couple of weeks ago on the way to BKK, we drove a short distance at 90kph. It was a dangerous experiment. Damn near got run over too many times. At least we didn't get a ticket mailed to our house.

DS2_3657.JPG

I have just driven to Laos and back over Sonkhran and I spent a lot of the 20 hours looking at the speeds of other vehicles relative to mine.

I

My experience is the national 90 limit is for the most part observed, especially if those new camera signs are up.

I found that the lower 60 limits were not observed, probably because they were too slow for some road conditions and there weren't enough reminders.

On motorways where the limit is 120, I noticed hardly anyone travelling even at that speed, let alone above it.

I thought that if an advisory 90 was posted on the electronic signs most kept below 100 hundred...a sort of compromise? As Thailand has hardly any motorways, (less than 200km), drivers as yet are not familiar with motorway driving.

There has in the past year or so been a big effort to put up better and more road signs, but they still often defy logic in their positioning.

I notice that lane discipline is still very poor and the pilice traffic checks, especially their design and positioning are nothing short of risible.

Drivers need to learn how to use acceleration lanes....not that they are either included or long enough on many Thai roads.I saw very few accidents in 4 days....

I think it is worth bearing in mind too that if you have and accident in Thailand, thanks to their lamentable firdtvredponder emergency services, you a motlrevlikely to die than in say, Europe.

It should also be noted that if you are not coping with your driving environment effectively, one of the most prominent symptomatic that you think everyone around you is driving too fast.

Archived