61 people killed EVERY DAY: More damning stats reveal the carnage on Thailand’s roads

rooster59

7 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Adding to these stats  NOTHING is ever mentioned about the state of the highways.......Try travelling on highway 2  from Udon Thani--to Korat--highway 304 to chonburi----highway 331 to   Pattaya,      mostly one lane used, it is disgusting.      I see no finger pointing to the Highways department.   they have their roll in all this.

May I suggest to use trucks instead? It seems to be much safer and less road deaths. 

Cow pulls truck.jpg

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ezzra said:

When i travel long distances, what i don't see on the roads is police

presence on bikes and cruisers, and when i see them, they pay no

minds to the traffic around them, you can fly by them speeding and

you'll not get stopped, a lot more police cars and bikes needed to be

patrolling the roads keeping drivers honest, stop and search for alcohol

and drugs use, and heavy fines on the spot for badly behaving drivers, 

put the fear in the hearts and minds of all drivers, show of force urgently

needed, not just the occasional  road blocks....

A long time ago they allowed all of them to pursue, they had to stop them as they kept causing accidents, now there are just a very small number of pursuit vehicles and instead loads of road blocks, if someone jumps the road block they radio the next, if they still don't stop then the pursuit vehicles come out, but allowing them to chase every car that they see speeding or has a light out or something else minor would be terrible, more carnage for sure.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If 61 people die every day on Thai roads, how come I've seen so little evidence of it? I've driven/ bussed thousands of km here and only seen a couple of incidents involving death. Perhaps the deaths happen in specific areas, so they need to work out why those areas are so dangerous and fix that.

When THAIS want to fix the problem they will do so, and hopefully not by replicating the nasty cop policing of my home country where they have destroyed any pleasure in driving as they fine anyone travelling a few kph over the limit. Of course they ignore the really bad driving that goes on all the time because all they care about is fining people, rather than making people drive safer.

Luckily the THAI authorities will take no notice of all the farangs wanting US style policing in LOS.

It's a real old chestnut, but if people want road policing just like back "home" no one is keeping them here.

No thanks, I don't want mai phen rai to continue in regard to death  on the roads, I want serious action and improvements for the safety of my Thai family.

10 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Adding to these stats  NOTHING is ever mentioned about the state of the highways.......Try travelling on highway 2  from Udon Thani--to Korat--highway 304 to chonburi----highway 331 to   Pattaya,      mostly one lane used, it is disgusting.      I see no finger pointing to the Highways department.   they have their roll in all this.

I drive the udon to korat section regularly, it is dual all the way, sometimes some road works but I don't think I have ever seen less than 90% of the journey open on both lanes.

12 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Seems you're suffering from reality delusions, so let me help.

1. You don't need to "navigate" intersections. If the light is Green, you proceed thru the intersection, If the light is Red, you stop. Kind of easy so far, right?

2. When accidents happen, the speed involved increases the likelihood of fatalities. Go faster = More chance of dying if you're involved in an accident

3. Many Thai motorcyclists and their passenger choose not to wear helmets.

4. Being a competent motorcycle rider does not reduce your chances of an accident if other road users  (especially larger vehicles) make mistakes. 

In conclusion, when you consider these points, then if motorcyclists were allowed onto toll ways, where cars can be regularly seen travelling in excess of 160 km/h, I can confidently say there will be a lot more motorcycle fatalities.

obviously you don't ride a motorcycle or not in Bangkok that is.

Seriously cars are regularly seen doing 99.4 mph? I seriously doubt that, there seems to be some embellishing with that one.

Maybe speed limits should be enforced, what a concept.

All the motorcycles navigating the intersections getting to the front of the line slows down all the other cars and makes it dangerous for the other motorcyclists. If you don't think motorcyclists don't navigate when coming to intersections, you've never been on or driven a motorcycle in Bangkok traffic. I have 100's if not 1000's of hours of video to dispute any ridiculous claim like those above should you care to have me post them.

61 per day, year round. 
Songkran festival is always in the news because of the 'high' death toll.
I just quickly googled. 2017 Songkran, 6 days, 335 deaths. Roughly 56 per day.
I now understand why the death toll during Songkran always reaches the news, simply because it is lower than usual.

And for entertainment purposes I will add a picture of a casual sighting on a road near Hua Hin.
I would argue that separated lanes for bicycles/ motorcycles would make things a bit safer. But I might be wrong.
As shown in the picture, it doesn't matter if there is a separated bicycle lane or not, some people anyway prefer to use the big road. I am sure the local motor cycles would love to use it, but they are not allowed to use the bicycle lane.
Maybe it is because separated bicycle lanes are so rare that the people in the picture did not recognize that it was a bicycle lane.

I do not pass below road often, but this was the 4th time I saw people biking on the main road instead of the bicycle lane that was clean and without obstructions so really no reason not to use it. 

141802.jpg

Just now, scorecard said:

No thanks, I don't want mai phen rai to continue in regard to death  on the roads, I want serious action and improvements for the safety of my Thai family.

As in all things in LOS, it's up to you and them, not the nanny state to ensure the safety of your Thai family.

There are many things you can do to keep them safe.

Worth remembering that even in countries that have draconian policing many deaths occur on the roads.

Some may want a policeman on every highway handing out fines for travelling 5 kph over the limit, but not I.

BTW, it's of huge significance that cars can be speed governed ( very simple in a computer controlled car ), but that very simple measure to control speed for EVERYONE is not done anywhere. Perhaps because governments loooooove those speeding fines.

Well it will be interesting to see if they do include the stats for those who died in hospital/on the way to hospital.

Unfortunately,nothing will change and it is a combination of all the factors mentioned by other posters that leads to this carnage. Thai attitudes,and lack of being able to forsee what could happen,culturally ingrained,Thai's mostly live in the moment,i can bet that if they have a near miss little thought is given to analysing it,and nothing learnt from it. The inadequate training,and testing of drivers,well those that actually bother to get a licence,the innafective  Police force, lack of car maitenance,no real deterence for breaking traffic laws. Also the poster who mentioned Libya as still ahead,are you aware that country is currently in a civil war,there is little chance in Thailand of getting taken out by an rpg,ied,or 50 cal.

4 minutes ago, onflipflops said:

61 per day, year round. 
Songkran festival is always in the news because of the 'high' death toll.
I just quickly googled. 2017 Songkran, 6 days, 335 deaths. Roughly 56 per day.
I now understand why the death toll during Songkran always reaches the news, simply because it is lower than usual.

And for entertainment purposes I will add a picture of a casual sighting on a road near Hua Hin.
I would argue that separated lanes for bicycles/ motorcycles would make things a bit safer. But I might be wrong.
As shown in the picture, it doesn't matter if there is a separated bicycle lane or not, some people anyway prefer to use the big road. I am sure the local motor cycles would love to use it, but they are not allowed to use the bicycle lane.
Maybe it is because separated bicycle lanes are so rare that the people in the picture did not recognize that it was a bicycle lane.

I do not pass below road often, but this was the 4th time I saw people biking on the main road instead of the bicycle lane that was clean and without obstructions so really no reason not to use it. 

141802.jpg

While I don't know that particular road, I have never seen a lane just for cyclists anywhere in LOS, except when they put a cycle lane in the middle of the pavement beside Sukhumvit Rd after Soi 3. Many have a cycle/ motorcycle lane, but usually wider than the one in your photo.

Unfortunately, m'bike lanes are often obstructed by parked cars, forcing m'bike riders into the car lane.

12 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I drive the udon to korat section regularly, it is dual all the way, sometimes some road works but I don't think I have ever seen less than 90% of the journey open on both lanes.

Did not say inner lane closed,I said outer lane used most of the time due to inner needing urgent repairs.  Now even heavy lorries are using the outer lane for a smoother surface.  

4 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

Sorry mate. my quota of replying to nonsense posts has been passed already.

Have a nice day.

I can only go by your posting quota as to how long you have been in LOS, but assuming it isn't long get back to us when you have spent a few decades here as to the actual function of the cops and not what you think it should be.

Happy trails :smile:.

Just now, ginjag said:

Did not say inner lane closed,I said outer lane used most of the time due to inner needing urgent repairs.  Now even heavy lorries are using the outer lane for a smoother surface.  

Ok, well there truth in that, it is the result of hot weather and overloaded trucks, they turn the tarmac into ridges pretty quickly, I guess it could also be due to substandard road surfaces being laid in the first place, the result of corruption, stealing the money by making thinner road surfaces.

I do not see anyone mentioning mechanical failures due to poor maintenance.

Does anyone know if there are compulsory test intervals of vehicles in Thailand ?

Will car inspectors appear and investigate the cause of an accident,  due to mechanical failure  as in most European countries ?

I just wonder and have my doubts !

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

Ok, well there truth in that, it is the result of hot weather and overloaded trucks, they turn the tarmac into ridges pretty quickly, I guess it could also be due to substandard road surfaces being laid in the first place, the result of corruption, stealing the money by making thinner road surfaces.

You can thank Thaksin for that. It was he that advocated the use of inferior tar seal over concrete during his unfortunate premiership.

I'm not sure if it was also him, but they changed the regs to allow heavier trucks on the roads, despite not being constructed to the required standard.

1 minute ago, Nielsk said:

Does anyone know if there are compulsory test intervals of vehicles in Thailand ?

Will car inspectors appear and investigate the cause of an accident, as in most European countries ?

Yes, there are compulsory tests, but not 6 monthly and enforced as rigorously as vehicle licensing and drivers licences.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As in all things in LOS, it's up to you and them, not the nanny state to ensure the safety of your Thai family.

Worth remembering that even in countries that have draconian policing many deaths occur on the roads.

Some may want a policeman on every highway handing out fines for travelling 5 kph over the limit, but not I.

BTW, it's of huge significance that cars can be speed governed ( very simple in a computer controlled car ), but that very simple measure to control speed for EVERYONE is not done anywhere. Perhaps because governments loooooove those speeding fines.

"Some may want a policeman on every highway handing out fines for travelling 5 kph over the limit, but not I."

Is that what this thread is about? 

61 people dead every day and you post about 5km over the speed limit.

No further comment needed.

"Foundation secretary general Dr Taejing Siripanich said Thailand’s traffic laws and the mindset of drivers were to blame."

Doctor. I don't believe you are correct !

I believe the laws are mostly very good laws. The problem is that the POLICE do not administer them !

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You can thank Thaksin for that. It was he that advocated the use of inferior tar seal over concrete during his unfortunate premiership.

I'm not sure if it was also him, but they changed the regs to allow heavier trucks on the roads, despite not being constructed to the required standard.

Part correct. Actually it was the paymasters buddy sanoh who raised the axle load allowed by a big number. Guess who owned a very very large trucking company at that time. 

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

"Some may want a policeman on every highway handing out fines for travelling 5 kph over the limit, but not I."

Is that what this thread is about? 

61,000 people dead and you post about 5km over the speed limit.

No further comment needed.

That comment was to the posters wanting policing like back in their own country. As for the solutions, that will come from the Thais, and not farangs.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Worst drivers in the world, that is an amazing achievement, considering how horrible people drive in some other countries.

It boils down to no sense of caution coupled with no law enforcement. The only way you can charged with dangerous driving here is to have an accident. Otherwise, Somchai's your uncle.

No law enforcement... the number 1 problem. Their laws are great.... the system is so corrupt you have to start a policing force from scratch and then dissolve the original over time. The financing will come from the heavier fines from no sharing lanes, to helmets, to no modified 3 wheelers, to max 2 on a bike as designed. That's just the beginning. Then comes driver training and car insurance overhaul. Imo

11 minutes ago, Nielsk said:

Will car inspectors appear and investigate the cause of an accident,  due to mechanical failure  as in most European countries ?

I have a 2005 Isuzu pick up and it must be inspected for roadworthy every 12 months for registration and insurance. All the maintenance is my responsibility the same as it was in Australia

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unfortunantly there are even those who accept the carnage just as long as they are not forced to live in a "nanny state"!  And where are these countries with draconian policing where there are anything like the deaths we see in countries with ineffective policing like Thailand?  I do not believe there are any!  In my country there are less than 10% of the deaths but the same population, I would not call our laws draconian either, just necessary in preventing unnecessary deaths.  The fact that there are some deaths despite having effective policing is reason for you to think there should not be any policing?!?  Wierd!

And please tell me what I can do to keep my family safe from a speeding bus smashing through the central reservation into the oncoming traffic as happens weekly in Thailand.  But yes, you do not want to be fined for speeding, how very thoughtful of you, clearly you care so much about the 20 odd thousand deaths just as long as you are free from a 500baht fine, nice stuff.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Worst drivers in the world, that is an amazing achievement, considering how horrible people drive in some other countries.

It boils down to no sense of caution coupled with no law enforcement. The only way you can charged with dangerous driving here is to have an accident. Otherwise, Somchai's your uncle.

Horrible is a good description, when linked to attitude, speeding and no police to be found on most roads.

Me first rules.

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

I have a 2005 Isuzu pick up and it must be inspected for roadworthy every 12 months for registration and insurance. All the maintenance is my responsibility the same as it was in Australia

But if you go to one of the licenced private inspectors instead of direct to the DLT then they will allow you to pay a little extra to pass even if your truck is not roadworthy, how did you think all the clearly not roadworthy vehicles managed to pass?

61 per is only the ones who die at the scene. Add to that the number who later die in hospital and the number can quite easily reach 100 per day. Its a disgusting state of affairs and we all know it. We have our rant, which we are all entitled too, but will anything get done? The cure is there for all to see, and starts at the top, whoever the top people are at any one time. If they have no interest in solving the problem, there really is no hope.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Are you talking about their ability to drive a car with skill, or their ability to drive their car with wisdom, care, and attention? I think they are mostly highly skilled, you have to be to survive. But the chances they take...

No,their technical skills are very poor also. Having done several years of track days ,when I assess them trying to drive fast they have poor judgement of distances,don’t overtake when they could,brake unnecessarily both in and before bends,have no idea of the best line through a bend and absolutely no idea about the handling capabilities of their vehicle. It’s only about trying to look fast without knowing how to maximise progress. Combine that with a dreadful attitude,selfishness ,very poor anticipation skills ,an authority with no holistic vision or plan of how to tackle the overall problem,poor enforcement and you have the perfect storm.

Archived