61 people killed EVERY DAY: More damning stats reveal the carnage on Thailand’s roads

rooster59

I have driven in 18 different countries and Thailand, by far, has the worst drivers, I have ever seen.  Most Thai drivers, do not even seem to know the traffic laws.  Since the police do NOT enforce the laws, I have to assume that this is Thailand's population control system at work.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Seems you're suffering from reality delusions, so let me help.

1. You don't need to "navigate" intersections. If the light is Green, you proceed thru the intersection, If the light is Red, you stop. Kind of easy so far, right?

2. When accidents happen, the speed involved increases the likelihood of fatalities. Go faster = More chance of dying if you're involved in an accident

3. Many Thai motorcyclists and their passenger choose not to wear helmets.

4. Being a competent motorcycle rider does not reduce your chances of an accident if other road users  (especially larger vehicles) make mistakes. 

In conclusion, when you consider these points, then if motorcyclists were allowed onto toll ways, where cars can be regularly seen travelling in excess of 160 km/h, I can confidently say there will be a lot more motorcycle fatalities.

Add to this the fact that motorcycle riders tend to ride anywhere from ten kph (barely managing to stay upright), thru to whatever their top speed is.... IMHO, this is one of the most dangerous of road use traits.... especially when coupled with lack of “give a <deleted>” for other road users.

If allowing bikes on “fast” roads, they must be capable of driving at the correct speed, otherwise they are nothing but mobile hazards.

then there’s the home made rickety sidecarts... handy around the village perhaps.... but hazards everywhere else

perhaps allow ??? 400 cc and over on the expressway?..... perhaps not. Best to leave that one as is, to prevent confusion.

8 minutes ago, ginjag said:

77 counties in Thailand,   on average 10 road blocks in each day.   apart from raining heavy,    if this is so why on earth are  there not a slow decline through fear. ???    Giving 775 blocks  fines for no crash hats, and no license I wonder how much revenue is going to the state  ??   Have to have 2 guesses ,  1  a business for money,  or  prevention of deaths. ??

road blocks will not reduce the road toll, you need more police on the road stopping and booking those that break the law because you will not catch a speeding driver at a road block. There is something that I saw somewhere about the police wanting an increase in their budget to buy some e-ticketing machines that would be linked to a central office for the fine collection and it would also have record of those who committed the offense and how often. Maybe someone is starting to think about the revenue that they are losing

17 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

What I have noticed during the last 5 years in Thailand on most of the major roads is that pick-up trucks overloaded with all kinds of stuff drive very slow in the overtaking lane and refuses to move over if you flash your light or use you horn to make them change lane, this behavior has become a norm now and its very frustrating. Drivers of heavy trucks also drive worse now compared to before and the general driving environment has become more hostile, I have been chased by Thai drivers just because I have flashed my light to make them move over into the left lane. Never seen this behavior when driving in Malaysia.   

pick-up trucks overloaded with all kinds of stuff drive very slow in the overtaking lane and refuses to move over

Absolutely true, plus trucks, and almost everyone drives in the fast lane regardless of their speed. A big factor in causing dangerous overtaking.

I once had to overtake on the left because of a truck in the fast lane refusing to move over. I try not to hoot or flash because I don't want to be shot.

I once encountered an army convoy of about 30 trucks all travelling so closely together at 50 kph that it was impossible to overtake safely. No doubt many drivers did overtake dangerously on the two lane road with no shoulders in many places. Dangerous road at the best of times. Four lane road being built there but will take about 20 years to complete at present pace.

34 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

The problem is Thailand is governed by gesture politics, where political leaders pay lip service to tackling serious societal problems but shy away from taking appropriate action which might be unpopular with the electorate.

and what about the citizens? I've tried to engage people countless times and they just don't understand why I'm so bent out of a shape over this non-issue. It's my fault for getting stressed out and should take a retreat at the temple until I'm better. Good luck governing people who refuse to even care about their own life.

Thailand has good Traffic laws sadly most are ignored and certainly poorly enforced.

If I go riding without a helmet most certainly I get ticketed while Thais 5 up on a scooter go passed unmolested.

Why does only the driver need where their seat belt why not all in the vehicle?

Limiting motorcycles to two up plus helmets would reduce the toll.

Enforcing seat belt wearing for all would also help. The rest is up to competent enforcement. A long process but the best time to Start? Is today

1 hour ago, onflipflops said:

61 per day, year round. 
Songkran festival is always in the news because of the 'high' death toll.
I just quickly googled. 2017 Songkran, 6 days, 335 deaths. Roughly 56 per day.
I now understand why the death toll during Songkran always reaches the news, simply because it is lower than usual.

And for entertainment purposes I will add a picture of a casual sighting on a road near Hua Hin.
I would argue that separated lanes for bicycles/ motorcycles would make things a bit safer. But I might be wrong.
As shown in the picture, it doesn't matter if there is a separated bicycle lane or not, some people anyway prefer to use the big road. I am sure the local motor cycles would love to use it, but they are not allowed to use the bicycle lane.
Maybe it is because separated bicycle lanes are so rare that the people in the picture did not recognize that it was a bicycle lane.

I do not pass below road often, but this was the 4th time I saw people biking on the main road instead of the bicycle lane that was clean and without obstructions so really no reason not to use it. 

141802.jpg

So? These cyclists are using the road correctly, exactly where they should be. The example of the so called cycle lane on the left, often only stretch for a few hundred meters, and are usually blocked by parked vehicles and vegetation. All this talk about road safety on this forum is all well and good, but remember, most Thai people know nothing of the extent of death on Thai roads, and are little interested in finding out. Engage any Thai person in a conversation on road safety, and watch their eyes glaze over, and a look of incomprehension and disbelief come over their face.

I now find Thai roads so scary, I only venture out to Tesco on Saturdays in my car, even over that 30 mins, I witness unbelievably arrogant and dangerous driving. But on the plus side, think of the savings I am making in gas, and the servicing of my car, tire wear etc.

Here is another one for the list or should I say four

Three Cambodians, Thai taxi driver killed in Chanthaburi crash

The three Cambodians were thrown through the windscreen. What speed was this idiot taxi driver doing when two of the Cambodians were in the back seat. Only one survivor who was seriously injured was sitting behind the driver

The laws exist but are plainly not enforced as the authorities don't care. Pushing stats of XXX deaths per day, does not arouse any higher interest or action. 

The laidback attitude can only be tackled with a loss of face in international media to warn the world that the Thai roads are a highway to hell.

Loss of face is priceless and sadly seems to be the only way to get things done here.

Its a mindset thing as well,, but until they get "Mufti Police" actually on the road travelling with the traffic to really see the idiots nothing will change. The Police have the means, along with a very good communication system to catch them, but cannot be bothered.

Roadblocks , although help catch drunks & illegal goods transportation will not achieve a reduction  in the carnage, just gotta take a look at the road rage after these roadblock which may even help in the death toll.

Maybe it is time for the Land Transport Dept to form a division to take over policing our highways

& leave the police to do police work

6 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

Thailand has good Traffic laws sadly most are ignored and certainly poorly enforced.

If I go riding without a helmet most certainly I get ticketed while Thais 5 up on a scooter go passed unmolested.

Why does only the driver need where their seat belt why not all in the vehicle?

Limiting motorcycles to two up plus helmets would reduce the toll.

Enforcing seat belt wearing for all would also help. The rest is up to competent enforcement. A long process but the best time to Start? Is today

True, but first sentence is not specifically Thai in nature. Other countries that I've been in also have terrible, law ignoring drivers, and lax enforcement.

Have to say something that annoys me specifically is watching cops stop tourists on m'bikes and allowing Thais to pass by. I watched one such road block for 15 minutes and many Thai riders waved through, but every farang tourist stopped, even helmeted ones. However, that is probably better for me than the old cigarette butt scam with a 2,000 baht fine.

31 minutes ago, Catoni said:

61 killed each day on Thailand's roads..... 22,265 a year... that's 0.03 % of the population of Thailand killed on Thailand's roads each year...    Last year in the U.S. there was about 37,000 killed on the roads, for about 0.01% of the U.S. population.  Three times higher fatality rate in the LOS.   

Just checked this. It's correct.

Never mind, all the rest can just continue to slur Thailand.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

So? These cyclists are using the road correctly, exactly where they should be. The example of the so called cycle lane on the left, often only stretch for a few hundred meters, and are usually blocked by parked vehicles and vegetation. All this talk about road safety on this forum is all well and good, but remember, most Thai people know nothing of the extent of death on Thai roads, and are little interested in finding out. Engage any Thai person in a conversation on road safety, and watch their eyes glaze over, and a look of incomprehension and disbelief come over their face.

My feelings exactly. I would love to keep in the correct lane but that requires others to not stop their vehicle there. 

We're currently at step 0 of fixing road problems in Thailand, that is people haven't even admitted there is a problem. If the average Thai actually cared about the carnage it would be fixed over night because people would be our arguing in the streets. One of the reasons I behave back home is not because the threat of the police but because I know I'll get punched in the face by another person if I mess up.

31 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Add to this the fact that motorcycle riders tend to ride anywhere from ten kph (barely managing to stay upright), thru to whatever their top speed is.... IMHO, this is one of the most dangerous of road use traits.... especially when coupled with lack of “give a f***” for other road users.

If allowing bikes on “fast” roads, they must be capable of driving at the correct speed, otherwise they are nothing but mobile hazards.

then there’s the home made rickety sidecarts... handy around the village perhaps.... but hazards everywhere else

perhaps allow ??? 400 cc and over on the expressway?..... perhaps not. Best to leave that one as is, to prevent confusion.

Which is why they build m'bike lanes on the side of expressways here.

A staggering 37,461 people were killed on US roads in 2016, an increase of 5.6 percent from

Some 1780 people died on Britain's roads last year - 49 more than last year

During the 12 months ended October 2017, there were 1,217 road deaths. This is a 3.8 per cent decrease compared to the total for the 12-month period ended October 2016

Maybe just maybe Australia has done something right and it appears to be working

Maybe Thailand should look at Australia's system to try and curb the road fatalities

9 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

A staggering 37,461 people were killed on US roads in 2016, an increase of 5.6 percent from

During the 12 months ended October 2017, there were 1,217 road deaths. This is a 3.8 per cent decrease compared to the total for the 12-month period ended October 2016

Maybe just maybe Australia has done something right and it appears to be working

Maybe Thailand should look at Australia's system to try and curb the road fatalities

NO, we don't want to have anything to do with Australian systems of anything, anywhere. You can keep them in Australia, where they belong. Not wanted no how. The horror, the horror.

Just the thought sent chills down my back.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I think there is still some confusion regarding the under-reporting of statistics. For example, they may only be counting those found on the road dead (FORD) and not those who subsequently pass away from injuries.

And then there are the undead...the zombies that, once their brain destroyed by a previous accident or an overdose of lao khao, jump into the driver's seat of a zombie car and go on a rampage, trying to kill even more people!

1 minute ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I see an International Warning Sign (some shrubbery) across the lane to the rear of the Roht Chang so AOK.....

One should always remember to drive safely within the field of vision, which means anyone hitting it is in the wrong. Like I say, it's OUR responsibility to drive safely and be prepared for anything, which is how I survive here.

:smile:

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NO, we don't want to have anything to do with Australian systems of anything, anywhere. You can keep them in Australia, where they belong. Not wanted no how. The horror, the horror.

with the attitude that you have it clearly shows that you have no respect for life, maybe you are afraid that the authorities might take your license off you if you have one but personally I would prefer that the Thai government and police get out there and protect my Thai family from idiot law breakers by whatever means they can

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I think there is still some confusion regarding the under-reporting of statistics. For example, they may only be counting those found on the road dead (FORD) and not those who subsequently pass away from injuries.

That's absolutely correct.  The stats only cover deaths at the scene.

13 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Forlorn hope I fear. Despite Thailand's natural affinity for copying and bootlegging, there wouldn't be a quid to be made in redu ing the rod toll, so they'll revert back to 'we got nuffing to learn from anyone' mode. Keeps 'em happy. Dim but happy.

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

with the attitude that you have it clearly shows that you have no respect for life, maybe you are afraid that the authorities might take your license off you if you have one but personally I would prefer that the Thai government and police get out there and protect my Thai family from idiot law breakers by whatever means they can

You obviously know nothing about me or my attitude, as no one on here does, and you ain't psychic.

Had a Thai licence for years, btw, and what possible reason would they have to take it off me?

Like I said before, it's the responsibility of ourselves and the people of LOS to protect our/ themselves, and not the nanny state which happily does not exist in LOS. Long may it remain so.

50 minutes ago, genericptr said:

and what about the citizens? I've tried to engage people countless times and they just don't understand why I'm so bent out of a shape over this non-issue. It's my fault for getting stressed out and should take a retreat at the temple until I'm better. Good luck governing people who refuse to even care about their own life.

Exactly. It is all our own fault if we get all worked up about a problem in a country not our own, and in which we have ZERO influence, especially if we are able to leave them to it and go elsewhere with traffic enforcement we prefer.

Just do like they do and we'll all be happier- just jai yen, jai yen.

Have a nice day :stoner:.

Archived