61 people killed EVERY DAY: More damning stats reveal the carnage on Thailand’s roads

rooster59

Thailand does not need to become a nanny state- all it needs is some thought out action plans-and execute them.

-There is no reason for any checkpoints - they waste time; cause traffic jams and do nothing to stop the road carnage.

-Thailand needs a massive public relations campaign on both radio and television that is hard hitting and direct- shown at least 4 times a day- indicating that speed will kill you and drinking while driving will send you to a temple for cremation. Pictures to match.

-All Seniors in high school need to go through a driving course teaching drivers etiquette

-Enforcement on the road- needs to be targeted to stop motorcycles from speeding; passing in the wrong lane; driving without lights; and  racing. Get the cycles to obey the law and the accident rate will drop tremendously.

-Put up speed limits on all roads including those in rural areas with a sign saying- enforced

-Go after the owners of the vans as they are the ones forcing drivers to go faster so they don't have to hire more drivers and force the drivers to make trips even when they are exhausted.

-Increase the lighting on many roads that are dangerous to drive at night because there is no lights or they are too dim to be effective.

You don't even need to increase the police force to do these type of things -you just need the will to do it.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A recent fad is to have lights in varying colours, mainly blue. But the same colours are installed on the front AND rear. I have seen many motorbikes with vivid  blue headlights. How is one to know which was the vehicle is moving in an emergency? Is it overtaking and coming towards you?

I even saw a motorbike with a red headlight. Surely this is illegal.

Thai's are raised in a culture of no accountability, therefore nothing is learned. this is exacerbated by a belief in the superstitious read animist  and galvanized by Bhuddist teachings.  this is a deadly combo. combined with a underpaid police force that is susceptible to corruption and you have a lethal mix.  pay the cops more and set a quota to encourage the collection and reporting of fines.  increase fines and penalties and enforce revocation of driving privileges. red light and speed cameras.

26 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Thailand does not need to become a nanny state- all it needs is some thought out action plans-and execute them.

-There is no reason for any checkpoints - they waste time; cause traffic jams and do nothing to stop the road carnage.

-Thailand needs a massive public relations campaign on both radio and television that is hard hitting and direct- shown at least 4 times a day- indicating that speed will kill you and drinking while driving will send you to a temple for cremation. Pictures to match.

-All Seniors in high school need to go through a driving course teaching drivers etiquette

-Enforcement on the road- needs to be targeted to stop motorcycles from speeding; passing in the wrong lane; driving without lights; and  racing. Get the cycles to obey the law and the accident rate will drop tremendously.

-Put up speed limits on all roads including those in rural areas with a sign saying- enforced

-Go after the owners of the vans as they are the ones forcing drivers to go faster so they don't have to hire more drivers and force the drivers to make trips even when they are exhausted.

-Increase the lighting on many roads that are dangerous to drive at night because there is no lights or they are too dim to be effective.

You don't even need to increase the police force to do these type of things -you just need the will to do it.

Sure Thai "dream" 

I almost got killed on my way to work in the morning at 6 am. A speeding kathoey, also driving a Pickup then hit me sideways doing high speed after doing a red light.

The impact was so extraordinary that I was unconscious and I woke up at the local hospital after a few hours. Very serious injuries at my spine, broken ribs, and others were the result. But neither that hospital, nor a second one understood how serious my condition was. Close to a wheelchair, that's for sure. 

The car was repaired and I had to wait more than one year to get it back, unfortunately with non functioning brakes and power steering.

Short after the whole car was redone at Mitsubishi and I had to wait another six months to get it back.

Only two weeks then driving my car again, when a speeding CBR150 motorbike on the other lance then lost control, drove on the trailer of a trekker, where the driver and the bike became airborne,.

The driver flew over the trekker and the trailer and landed on his feet... But the motorbike was heading towards my windshield and almost killed my wife and me.

I hit the brakes and could prevent the bike coming into the car thru the window. From that time on, I'm driving very slow, always double checking if a car really turns left when blinking, because they always do weird things.

Be safe out there. You've got to think for them, if not you might have some bigger problems. 

Without my good reaction, we could be dead now.  

On the way from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai right now. Have already passed 4 police check points. Not one police officer to be seen at any of them!

No police = No reduction in the road deaths stats. It’s that simple!

4 minutes ago, khunpa said:

On the way from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai right now. Have already passed 4 police check points. Not one police officer to be seen at any of them!

Although when the Police do man those check-points, they are just looking for drugs and illegal immigrants

4 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

time to remove those motorcycles prohibited signs from the overpasses and let people enjoy less traffic and safer conditions

They already use those flyoverbridges, signs or not. I also use them again since i hate to be in full sun at the junction under the bridge. Plus there you'll have to stand in the fumes of those ancient crappy buses.

It's fun to be in a large gang of motocycles all doing something illegal.

9 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Why would  a police check point reduce road deaths? 

26 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

A recent fad is to have lights in varying colours, mainly blue. But the same colours are installed on the front AND rear. I have seen many motorbikes with vivid  blue headlights. How is one to know which was the vehicle is moving in an emergency? Is it overtaking and coming towards you?

I even saw a motorbike with a red headlight. Surely this is illegal.

Which to my mind shows the need for 10 hours (?) a year in the class room,starting perhaps at M1 to teach kid:

-  What does 'civil society' mean.

-  The benefits for all of having a civil society.

-  The processes needed to build and maintain a civil society. Which should include the need for laws and the basics of law and punishment, etc

the benfits of a  civil society and the procsss (minly law

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Exactly. It is all our own fault if we get all worked up about a problem in a country not our own, and in which we have ZERO influence, especially if we are able to leave them to it and go elsewhere with traffic enforcement we prefer.

Just do like they do and we'll all be happier- just jai yen, jai yen.

If you don't care about driving in Thailand then why waste your time posting on forums? Go out for a drive and have fun. If you get hurt there's nothing that could be done anyways and it was probably just your time, but don't forgot to visit the temple for good luck just in case.

7 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Why would  a police check point reduce road deaths? 

Well they could start by getting the drunk drivers off the road and people without drivers licenses.

At least more effective that sleeping or play Candy Crush :-)

Having worked, lived and driven in several parts of the world, including some third world countries I have come the conclusion that thais are somehow "victims" of their middle income status country...Roads here are generally speaking in very good condition and cars rather new and many of them very powerful. These 2 factors allow (far too) high speeds. I drive 30K kms/year at say 10% over speed limitations and find it very common to be overtaken by cars going much much faster than that...In parts of Africa where I used to drive you couldn't go much faster than 60 because the potholes would take care of it, quickly!

The other factor as often mentionned in this forum is the lack of a proper highway police. Being french, I can remember 50 years ago when we were driving more or less the way they drive here nowadays. It took many years, a strong political will (and a zillion radars) to enforce the limitations and nowadays you should consider yourself very lucky if you don't get fined for overspeeding in France!

On a hopeful note I would say that having been around for a while I see more and more law abiding drivers in Thailand, but the say 20% who drive madly do pose a real threat... Again, it will take a strong political will and drastic police reform.

Not sure I shall be able to see that while I can still drive !...   

A terrible indictment of Government inaction! :post-4641-1156693976: 

Where there is no will there is no way. The current Government has had a chance to do something in the last three years but, apart from  some public 'face saving' utterances, realistically done nothing. As have previous administrations.

The PM and his Ministers should be ashamed of failing to reduce significantly this terrible road trauma.

But then again it is not the elite who are being killed and in a feudal society they are the only ones who matter, I guess. :sad:

52 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Once upon a time not long ago they were going to force serious traffic offenders to do time in the hospital mortuaries so they could see for themselves the carnage that passes through the emergency doors. I am sure that turned out to be just a fad and lasted about 10 minutes as things like that in Thailand usually do.

5 hours ago, Thian said:

A committee who will do a total crackdown for 1 whole week. In this case they will have many roadblocks where they fine motocycles who are willing to stop for them.

After the week it's same old....

It's all because of the lazy police....61 killed on the spot on the road EVERY DAY...thank you police, when will you go for the worldtournament candycrush??

THERE IS A COMMITTEE......it is CALLED the GOVERNMENT !!!

Maybe Thailand could take a lesson from the British ? ( and most European countries ) . Radar , speed checks, heavy fines, even confiscation of véhicule/ bike why not , prison sentence when fines cannot be paid. Road rules, out 5 on a bike, sidecar etc. Alcool tests on public transport , motor bike taxis/ taxis too. Monthly checks on buses and minivans. Proper driving tests. Speed limits, license with points, loads of things to do, if the police were made to do it ! Think of the money they would make from all this ! Of course, the road police would have to be honest ! 

4 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Lack of road education. Stupid, lazy corrupt police. Train police properly. Get them out onto the highways after they learn to be honest honest hard working police and care for the people of Thailand instead of getting fat bodies and pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Lack of education everywhere, not just at the coppers. That's also the reason why it is as it is.

It all goes down to education.Better the lack of education. 

But if school directors and Thai teachers do not have a problem when three speeding kids without helmets are often on collision course on campus, how should anything positive happen?

And generals and admirals in the highest positions makes it clear why all is as it is. 

Archived