Can I use a Android Tablet to launch Kali Linux from a Flash Drive?

tomx2

Hi.

Need some advice from you experts.

I have a XPS 13 PC laptop. Connect to Linux using a portable Kali Linux 'Live' 64gb Flash Drive uploaded from Kali ISO armf distro. Looking to purchase a Android Tablet. Never owned one. Would like to explore running this Kali FD distro on a Tablet. When traveling abroad, the tablet will be specifically used for internet connection, penetration testing & terminal cmds in monitor mode. 

3 (Q's).
1. Currently I insert kali FD into usb hub, boot into windows recovery mode, launch kali FD from the PC. I am aware Android phones will not successfully launch Kali distro from a ISO FD.
(Q)Is the Tablet configured to work similar: plug the FD stick in the Tablet's USB port and launch Kali Linux?

2. When kali has launched successfully from my FD, I plug in External Interface card TP-Link-TL-WN722N (wlan1) to get internet connection on my PC.

(Q) Will my external interface dongle be recognized as Wlan1 using a tablet?

3. I am leaning towards purchasing Tablet Fusion5 104GPS Android Tablet PC(see link below) It comes with a USB port, 6.0 Android Marshmallow.

(Q) Would this fit my requirements or have you a better Android Tablet recommendation.
https://www.amazon.com/10-1-Fusion5-...11b14338cac361

Basically, I'm looking for a small (lightweight) computer I can carry & launch Kali Linux from my FD stick. Would a Netbook be more suitable to handle kali than a Tablet.

Thanks

TC.

• 3 weeks later...

Two Issues

The device must allow booting from USB

The distro must have support for the device and it's installed peripherals

While many phones and tablets can boot from USB, these usually are in support of upgrading / flashing updated firmware. Then the distro needs to have driver that specifically (or generically) support the hardware or embedded environment unique to that device. 

I'd suggest you find a linux or android developer site, such as xda-developers, that may already have a forum dedicated to your hardware of interest and see if they have manufacturer support tools and procedures down to create your external boot process or compile a custom roms.  

Archived