'Ashamed' Franken says he won't quit U.S. Senate over groping accusations

webfact

There is a current "hysteria" taking place by numerous female lawmakers to remove Franken. Its the same hysteria that has been destroying men for several weeks now and which feminists have been quoted saying it is their responsibility as a woman to believe other women. 

"Hysteria" is an interesting word, any of you recall its etymology? 

Hystericus: Originally defined as a neurotic condition peculiar to women and thought to be caused by a dysfunction of the uterus.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/hysteria

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

This is the way it is supposed to work.

if you want to call it Patriotic then so be it.

Our American Founding Fathers considered the Right of "Due Process" an importsnt protection for its citizens. I believe the concept was from the Magna Carta.

Today you mock it. 

The Democrats are eating their own in the name of Political Correctness. The Republicans are not. 

Perhaps you should consider this: What if accusations were made against you that made you an immediate pariah? Would you be content being strung up by a lynchmob mentality in the heat of the moment or would you desire the protection of Due Process and sufficient time to pass that calmer heads may prevail? Would you want the benefit of telling your version of events? 

Ever been divorced? Would you he content allowing your ex-wife provide only her version of events? 

Out of curiousity, do you feel the allegations against Franken actually warrant his removal from office? 

Its a travesty that Due Process is being cast aside as easily as it is today by America's Lawmakers. this should concern all Americans.

One of the problems of being someone with nothing to protect, whenever I post something negative about one party or another, readers assume I'm a rabid follower of the other party. My comments are shaped by my ideals and not political allegiance. One of the ideals I support is the right to due process. I think that due process should be carried out in a transparent fashion. I think allegations to be considered valid should be brought forth within a fairly timely fashion unless it involves children. 

6 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

One of the problems of being someone with nothing to protect, whenever I post something negative about one party or another, readers assume I'm a rabid follower of the other party. My comments are shaped by my ideals and not political allegiance. One of the ideals I support is the right to due process. I think that due process should be carried out in a transparent fashion. I think allegations to be considered valid should be brought forth within a fairly timely fashion unless it involves children. 

I have no idea your political persuasion.

I could care a less and I made absolutely no assumption or attempt to assume or label you or your persuasions in any manner.

8 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

There is a current "hysteria" taking place by numerous female lawmakers to remove Franken. 

"Hysteria" is an interesting word, any of you recall its etymology? 

Hystericus: Originally defined as a neurotic condition peculiar to women and thought to be caused by a dysfunction of the uterus.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/hysteria

I think you are misreading the whole affair. Franken is being forced out, not for what he has done but for political expedience. The goal is twofold. One is to give the illusion of zero tolerance for such actions. The other is to stop further delving into the actions of other members of Congress by being seeing as so moral they are self policing but what about the other party?. It's a cynical political calculation.

2 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I have no idea your political persuasion.

I could care a less and I made absolutely no assumption or attempt to label you or your persuasions in any manner.

Do not put words in my mouth.

You said with regard to due process "Today you mock it". I did no such thing. You were putting words in my mouth.

4 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

You said with regard to due process "Today you mock it". I did no such thing. You were putting words in my mouth.

I did not put words in your mouth. It appeared to me that you mocked it. 

Regardless, you have just done the same in your misinterpration of me in the post directly above.

I have removed that portion of my post above to avoid controversy and to help you avoid getting derailed and remain focused on the topic.

1 hour ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Do the words,,The topic is not about trump ring a bell?

Nope. 

Because Franken cited trump's well known sexual abuses in his resignation speech today in the senate. You can bet the house with all this (about time) attention to such abusers, the case of trump is going to be looked at again in light of the current changes. Remember trump is president now. Why is Franken forced out but trump sits pretty? 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. 

Because Franken cited trump's well known sexual abuses in his resignation speech today in the senate. You can bet the house with all this (about time) attention to such abusers, the case of trump is going to be looked at again in light of the current changes. Remember trump is president now. Why is Franken forced out but trump sits pretty? 

Since you ask, maybe because Republicans are not prone to eating their own offspring in fits of hysteria and Political Correctness.

Nice to chat with you again JT...did you wind up returning to the US? 

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. 

And next Tuesday another "alleged" full blown predator and pedophile will be elected by the GOP and will sit in the Senate.  Franken has been forced out, Trum,p remains and his sidekick Roy Moore will be sitting in the Senate.  I doubt that they will force him out. 

1 minute ago, wayned said:

And next Tuesday another "alleged" full blown predator and pedophile will be elected by the GOP and will sit in the Senate.  Franken has been forced out, Trum,p remains and his sidekick Roy Moore will be sitting in the Senate.  I doubt that they will they force him out. 

Politics is an ugly and distasteful business at even the best of times. 

Its been decades since it has not turned my stomach to watch our political leaders. 

It should be mandatory that following every 4 year term in office that the next 4 years be spent in prison for all the crimes committed in office that we the people never learn about but which certainly occur.

A greater concentration of corrupt souls only occurs in hell itself.

11 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

It should be mandatory that following every 4 year term in office

It should be mandatory that any "alleged" criminal accusations be addressed and cleared before they are allowed to serve a term, from Potus on down.

21 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Politics is an ugly and distasteful business at even the best of times. 

Its been decades since it has not turned my stomach to watch our political leaders. 

It should be mandatory that following every 4 year term in office that the next 4 years be spent in prison for all the crimes committed in office that we the people never learn about but which certainly occur.

A greater concentration of corrupt souls only occurs in hell itself.

You've pinpointed the problem at least. It is in fact, "we the people". Or as I like to think of it "you the people". :laugh:

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

The Democrats are eating their own in the name of Political Correctness. The Republicans are not.

You are putting your own language on it, but that's essentially true.

The overall effect is going to be, and it may well have been intended to work this way, that the Democrats won't be able to win back control of either house of congress next year, ruining their chance of impeaching Trump.

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Out of curiousity, do you feel the allegations against Franken actually warrant his removal from office?

No, I don't think he should have been removed from office.  Not without defending himself legally.  But, that's moot.  He's gone:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/07/politics/al-franken-resignation-decision/index.html

Al Franken resigning, calls out Trump and Moore

19 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

No, I don't think he should have been removed from office.  Not without defending himself legally.  But, that's moot.  He's gone:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/07/politics/al-franken-resignation-decision/index.html

Yes, I read that earlier he will be replaced by a woman and the feminists will score another victory.

Minnesota has some very wicked men in its borders. Isn’t that also the home of Lake Woebegone and that other sexual predator Garrison Keiller?

I can tell you I would not dare encourage any female to set foot within its borders or she might risk an “uncomfortable” moment and god forbid an adult ever be placed in such a hostile and traumatic experience as the crimes these evil men are accused of.

Wait, is “evil men” redundant?

4 hours ago, wayned said:

It should be mandatory that any "alleged" criminal accusations be addressed and cleared before they are allowed to serve a term, from Potus on down.

Ofcourse the problem with that is every individual running for office can be stymied by the opposition with nothing more than an accusation of wrong-doing.

For example, who is Tony Rezko and what was his shady real estate deal? The only way a politician keeps their hands clean is because there are others working behind the scenes getting their hands dirty.

Politics is a corrupt business and every single person in the business can only get there by perpetrating that corruptness.

28 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Ofcourse the problem with that is every individual running for office can be stymied by the opposition with nothing more than an accusation of wrong-doing.

For example, who is Tony Rezko and what was his shady real estate deal? The only way a politician keeps their hands clean is because there are others working behind the scenes getting their hands dirty.

Politics is a corrupt business and every single person in the business can only get there by perpetrating that corruptness.

Sadly you're correct.

5 hours ago, wayned said:

You know, when I first read that I was thinking, "hey' that's a good idea", but the more I thought about it I came to realize that hurling accusations at candidates would then become the norm and just part of an opponents campaign strategy. Even more so than it is now.

23 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

You know, when I first read that I was thinking, "hey' that's a good idea", but the more I thought about it I came to realize that hurling accusations at candidates would then become the norm and just part of an opponents campaign strategy. Even more so than it is now.

It was kinda said with my foot in my mouth, like all prostitutes must be virgins!

He hasn't gone yet! He's said he will resign in the next few weeks. If Roy Moore wins on Tuesday, and then is not put under similar pressure, I can see him staying on. What he's been accused of is very similar to the 12+ accusations against Trump. Lots of politics going on here.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No, Franken is definitely resigning. No doubt at all. It's not contingent on Moore or trump. He's been a rising star and it's a shame but at least he's going to be replaced with another anti-trump senator.

Its a shame but not for the reason you think.

Its a shame because he is not a career politician who started out as a lawyer.

Its a shame because he may have been one of the very few honest ones to have slipped through the cracks and actually  made it to the Office.

Its a shame because his actions did not warrant the outcome his own peers insisted of him. They threw him under the bus to protect their own skins faster than even I thought them possible.

And I voted for the GOP this go round to get rid of the ACA yet I would trade ten of the worthless GOP for one Franken.

15 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Touching a grown woman's butt during a 3 second photo,

you DO realize that his hands were no where near her butt in the photo unless you're indicating that she is a butthead. The mere fact that he had a photographer standing by at his request to take the picture while he grabbed her chest makes it premeditated.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

He hasn't gone yet! He's said he will resign in the next few weeks. If Roy Moore wins on Tuesday, and then is not put under similar pressure, I can see him staying on. What he's been accused of is very similar to the 12+ accusations against Trump. Lots of politics going on here.

SO many on here completely missing the point between "Accused" and "Proven to have happened". If I went to the admin team on here and accused 1 of you of being inappropriate, should they just ban you or actually look for real evidence that it happened? :coffee1:

Franken's accuser's named offenses were definitely more minor than the typically accused now that are being forced out of careers (but not all forced ... trump). I'm not making excuses for Franken but in normal times what he's been accused of wouldn't have killed anyone's major career. But it happened. Time to move on ... 

Also in normal times a clown troll "grab em by their p" baby man wouldn't have been elected president, or even dog catcher. 

SO many on here completely missing the point between "Accused" and "Proven to have happened". If I went to the admin team on here and accused 1 of you of being inappropriate, should they just ban you or actually look for real evidence that it happened? :coffee1:

The way things are now, for sexual assault an accusation seems to be enough. The tide has turned, for better or worse.

Franken resigning is a calculated political move made to show the moral difference between the Democratic and Republican parties in light of the Alabama Senate election and in the 2018 midterms.  

I agree with the resignation but in today's world, I don't think a moral argument works any better then a rational one for conservatives intent on implementing their agenda

TH   

Archived