Swiss man gets bashed after turning off noisy bike

webfact

Swiss man gets bashed after turning off noisy bike

1pm.jpg

Picture: video screenshot

A tourist from Switzerland said he was assaulted after he turned off a motorcycle belonging to someone he didn't know, reported the We Love Pattaya page on Facebook.

Adreas Lechne, 55, was stopping at a BBQ chicken stall at the end of Soi 16 on Sai 2 to get a late night snack when he was annoyed by the bike with the engine left running next to the stall.

A 25 - 30 year old Thai man came back and gave him a whack then went down the soi on his bike and returned armed with a stick.

He then knocked the tourist to the ground leaving him covered in blood.

Sawang Boriboon medics treated the tourist at the scene and police are studying CCTV to get a lead.

Many posters on Facebook said he was asking for trouble turning off someone else's bike.

Source: 'We Love Pattaya' Facebook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-27

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i used to work in mongolia; if you touch someone's hat it's fighting time. if your feet touch someone else's, usually on public transport, you'd better apologise or else...

OK, so now we know that Mongolia has plenty of thugs, just like Thailand. But does that alter the basic fact that the Thai guy's motorbike was too loud and running for no reason? No, it doesnt.

In a civilised country the police would be around to fine people with noisy bikes, so the problem would simply not arise at all. Here it is considered normal to make pointless noise and to disturb others, and equally normal to hit people. For me that's just animal behaviour.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

OK, so now we know that Mongolia has plenty of thugs, just like Thailand. But does that alter the basic fact that the Thai guy's motorbike was too loud and running for no reason? No, it doesnt.

In a civilised country the police would be around to fine people with noisy bikes, so the problem would simply not arise at all. Here it is considered normal to make pointless noise and to disturb others, and equally normal to hit people. For me that's just animal behaviour.

In farangland we do have noisy bikes and cars..I had both...:stoner:

Though the bike guy was inconsiderate in this case, NOBODY should interfere with another's transport..

After barking dogs, look-at-me bikes are my favourite hate. The noise is mere attention-seeking like the boom-boxes AKA pick-ups.   The extra noise does not make the bike go faster; is not fuel-efficient (quite the contrary); merely confirms that Thais cannot cope with silence.

38 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Why would you choose to live in a country that you have so little respect for the people?  sounds like grumpy old man talk to me.

Swiss people really seem to hate noise. I had a similar experience with a guy from Switzerland while I was staying at a resort on Samui. I went to pick up a girl who was staying in a bungalow next door to the one a Swiss guy was staying in. I was on my unmodded CBR300 which is not a noisy bike, especially when idling, and the guy shouted at me to turn my f***ing bike off, rushed down and grabbed the front of my helmet and proceeded to try pulling me off my bike. He was about 70 years old, so I didn't get physical with him, but I did verbally lay into him. An American guy in another bungalow also came and let the old coot have a piece of his mind, as apparently the guy would run over to his bungalow and bash on the door and windows if the TV was too loud.

5 minutes ago, Norrad said:

Swiss people really seem to hate noise. I had a similar experience with a guy from Switzerland while I was staying at a resort on Samui. I went to pick up a girl who was staying in a bungalow next door to the one a Swiss guy was staying in.

...really, what happened next ?

59 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Guess you don't come from a developed country then? There are only a few countries in Europe that actually fine people for having noisy bikes, Switzerland being one of them, but they're more concerned with people removing the catalytic converter than the noise itself, as removing the catalytic converter is one of the reasons why it becomes louder.

In the UK and other countries in Europe you'll never get fined for having a loud motorcycle. Thailand is actually very strict in this regard, people get fined for having loud motorcycles all the time, given that it is above 95 decibels. A 90 decibel pipe may be super loud to you, but they wouldn't be fined.

Most of the time , it's best to vote with your feet.

in this town.

but,  if you want to start messing about with other

peoples bikes or cars,   you better get ready for a negative response  :smile:

Thought people from Switzerland were reasonably  smart, guess I was wrong.

Nice  T shirt for a 55 year old guy,   on holiday,  minding his own business.

Next  :coffee1:

1 minute ago, MatteoBassini said:

In the UK and other countries in Europe you'll never get fined for having a loud motorcycle. Thailand is actually very strict in this regard, people get fined for having loud motorcycles all the time, given that it is above 95 decibels. A 90 decibel pipe may be super loud to you, but they wouldn't be fined.

Exactly and even a modded bike while idling is not that loud. The Swiss guy was just looking for trouble when he started messing with someone else's property, it's similar to walking into someones house and turning down their TV while the owner is outside watering the garden. Hopefully he learned his lesson and won't do something stupid again.

7 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

Thailand is actually very strict in this regard, people get fined for having loud motorcycles all the time, given that it is above 95 decibels. A 90 decibel pipe may be super loud to you, but they wouldn't be fined.

Yes,   but not in this town,  its a free for all,   all day and all night long.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

After barking dogs, look-at-me bikes are my favourite hate. The noise is mere attention-seeking like the boom-boxes AKA pick-ups.   The extra noise does not make the bike go faster; is not fuel-efficient (quite the contrary); merely confirms that Thais cannot cope with silence.

I hate barking dogs too but disagree about noisy exhaust (up to a point). I beleive "loud pipes saves lives" on a motorcycle. Having said that, it doesn't mean you must go around revving the bike just for the hell of it.

Getting back to topic, I feel the guy was wrong to switch off the guys bike, if it bothered him, he should've looked for the owner and asked him to switch it off. That's how to deal with the situation.

20 minutes ago, Norrad said:

Exactly and even a modded bike while idling is not that loud. The Swiss guy was just looking for trouble when he started messing with someone else's property, it's similar to walking into someones house and turning down their TV while the owner is outside watering the garden. Hopefully he learned his lesson and won't do something stupid again.

It is nothing like walking onto private property to turn off a guy's TV.  The bike was on public property, creating a public nuisance.  

BTW, back home the bike owner would have been fined just for leaving the keys in the ignition.  Even bigger fine for leaving it running unattended, no matter how quiet it is.  Then the cops would have revved it up and fined him again for loud pipes.

What the Swiss guy did wasn't wise, but it certainly didn't warrant physical violence.

2 minutes ago, DLang said:

Put on his @ss by a little Thai bloke 5555

Perhaps he was smart enough to realize that he couldn't win a fight once the Thai guy's dozen buddies piled on, as often happens. 

Better a bloody shirt and a slice of humble pie than a trip to the hospital or the morgue.

1 hour ago, transam said:

In farangland we do have noisy bikes and cars..I had both...:stoner:

Though the bike guy was inconsiderate in this case, NOBODY should interfere with another's transport..

I get it, but I understand the Swiss guy. Swiss culture is one of not disturbing others. They make for good neighbors because being noisy is   not  Swiss. We can say he was wrong and all that stuff, but  beating someone's head for this  isn't acceptable.

Unfortunately, Thailand's lower classes are borderline savage and this is why the hiso's treat them so roughly. 

3 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

I get it, but I understand the Swiss guy. Swiss culture is one of not disturbing others. They make for good neighbors because being noisy is   not  Swiss. We can say he was wrong and all that stuff, but  beating someone's head for this  isn't acceptable.

Unfortunately, Thailand's lower classes are borderline savage and this is why the hiso's treat them so roughly. 

Then the Swiss guy should do his homework before venturing outside his perfect homeland..

1 hour ago, Norrad said:

Swiss people really seem to hate noise. I had a similar experience with a guy from Switzerland while I was staying at a resort on Samui. I went to pick up a girl who was staying in a bungalow next door to the one a Swiss guy was staying in. I was on my unmodded CBR300 which is not a noisy bike, especially when idling, and the guy shouted at me to turn my f***ing bike off, rushed down and grabbed the front of my helmet and proceeded to try pulling me off my bike. He was about 70 years old, so I didn't get physical with him, but I did verbally lay into him. An American guy in another bungalow also came and let the old coot have a piece of his mind, as apparently the guy would run over to his bungalow and bash on the door and windows if the TV was too loud.

Being 70 years old is no barrier to a bashing in Thailand. Makes the odds better for your attackers, who will usually number at LEAST 12. Fair fight in Thailand.

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

It is nothing like walking onto private property to turn off a guy's TV.  The bike was on public property, creating a public nuisance.  

OK let's work with your example here. The bike is private property whether it is on public property or not. So by your reasoning if someone parks their car or camper-van on public property (maybe in a parking spot on the road outside their house, then anyone can climb in and do with it as they please? After all the mere sight of it might annoy someone or heaven forbid, block someones view...

Archived