Phetchabun to get a taxi service and airport to reopen with commercial flights

tjshannonigans

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not too much help but I drove through there this afternoon (08-Dec-2017) on the way back from Vientiane (I live 60km south of Mueang Phetchabun on route 21) and all the old signs have been replaced. They look pretty new to us.

That was the reason for looking up this topic.

Only time will tell.  Apparently, it was supposed to reopen in 2562 but, well...

I think you'll find it's a rumour. Same thing was being talked about some years ago turned into a nothing. What you have to say to yourself is why would they want an airport in Phetchabun. Sorry but there's nothing there, not wanting to upset anyone but it's a dead and alive farmers town. If peeps wanted to fly anywhere they would use the one in Pitso.

Just my thoughts.

What you have to say to yourself is Who would use it. Petchabun is 95% farmers, are they going to spend monies on trips by plane. Most have difficulties keeping their pickups running. You only have to have a look around Petchabun after 7.30pm to see how alive the place is. Dead I would say is a word more appropriate.

• 4 months later...

just went to Phetchabun airport and spoke with the people in the building.  It's scheduled to open at the end of June with 2 flights daily to Bangkok on Nok Air.  I used it several years (2005) ago when it had a daily flight to Bangkok.  the flight I took had originated in Chiang Mai.  Only about 10 people boarded and it was a very small plane.  Seating probably less than 50 people all in all. 

Having lived in the area for a number of years { I don't no more } the airport is situated at the junction that takes you into the village of Bung Nam Tao on the opposite side.

Knowing the area and how cheap the bus is to Bangkok I find it hard to believe this new route will be popular enough amongst the local population, that said I would certainly use it I travelled frequently over the years between Petchabun and Bangkok more often than not in a taxi for 4000 baht one way.

Local folk much prefer the 325 baht bus ride which takes 8 hours on a good day.

Transport links upon arrival at this airport are non existent as well so its certainly aimed at the local market I wonder how long these flights last before they are pulled, i mean the flight itself to Bangkok will be around 30 minutes I would imagine now that is great.

If anyone on here decides to use it let us know how the trip goes cost etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nok air have been operating Phits to Phetchabun (khao) for a while now) My wife was told 4 years ago by the bank manager that we shouldn't sell for at least 5 years. In that time Hotels have been popping up all the time, the airport is to be refurnished. Nok announced that flight will starts on the 2nd of June this year or it could be 2nd July. The main reason is the Thai tourism is played out in many areas, but, its still growing in Phet. Thai's want clean, cool air , fun and low prices, this is still available here. But, they now wanna get here quicker. If the flights connect with transport then it could be successful. We have also been told that surveying is happening, on a direct route to connect the railway, but, we will see...Never understood why it turns sharply right over the mountains just before the boundary of Phetchabun. when you consider that the state was going to be the new Bangkok many years ago due to it defenses of mountains and only one flat way in. Must have upset the wrong people!

The main reason the last airline dropped out at the last minute was because of additional payments required off the books! But, Have heard that persons involved in this type of behaviour have  recently been removed from Phetchabun and are waiting behind desks in Bangkok. ONE FROM GOVERNMENT AND ONE FROM THE POLICE

Telephoned Nok Air just now and they said they never heard of it !! and have no information and you cannot book through them maybe it's an agency ????    they said.......55555555.......Thailand at its best. Huge posters in Phetchabun about grand opening and NOTHING known by call centre staff at Nok Air !! Cannot book and have no idea where or who to contact about this "new service".

Amazing Thailand.

16 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Don't see anything on Nok Air website yet?? Read an article that ticket price is going to be 2k baht each way and operating only Monday & Saturday.

I've been looking for when it's due to open.   
As for Nok Air, well, yes, I've tried to look for flights and...nothing.
Got a link to the article?  That'd be great.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

Telephoned Nok Air just now and they said they never heard of it !! and have no information and you cannot book through them maybe it's an agency ????    they said.......55555555.......Thailand at its best. Huge posters in Phetchabun about grand opening and NOTHING known by call centre staff at Nok Air !! Cannot book and have no idea where or who to contact about this "new service".

Amazing Thailand.

Sorry.  Just replied to your earlier post.
I only made it as far north as Makro yesterday (I'm from just south of Nong Phai) and didn't see the signs.
When's the Grand Opening? In Thai time, obviosuly 555.

8 hours ago, The Oracle said:

Sorry.  Just replied to your earlier post.
I only made it as far north as Makro yesterday (I'm from just south of Nong Phai) and didn't see the signs.
When's the Grand Opening? In Thai time, obviosuly 555.

From memory its tomorrow the 2nd.If you continue into Phetchabun and on the opposite side of the road to the Kosit Hill hotel is a huge sign advertising.

I intend to take a drive into the airport to see what info is available there.

Early morning Flights Saturday and Monday Flight number DD 6203 departs Phetchabun 10.20am first flight 2 June  DD6202 arrives at 08.55  These are confirmed as Monday and Saturday flights as I stated another day to help with tourism. Plus expats who need a quick Nana weekend fix  5555!

Spotted driving into Wichien Buri this morningfly.jpg

OK if you live in Petchabun or north of it but if you live south of the city it seems pointless back tracking to fly when it's only a 3.5 hour drive to Bangkok.

Still....might suit the city folk. Not everyone is a farmer.

Grand Opening today (02 June 2018) so I go on to the Nok Air website to see if I can book a flight to Bangkok on 22nd June.
Nup.  Website still doesn't have Phetchabun airport.

15 minutes ago, Denim said:

Spotted driving into Wichien Buri this morningfly.jpg

OK if you live in Petchabun or north of it but if you live south of the city it seems pointless back tracking to fly when it's only a 3.5 hour drive to Bangkok.

Still....might suit the city folk. Not everyone is a farmer.

Farm Hands are called Farmers here.   Cant see it either. By the time you check in, and get out of that awfull Donmong Dump you wont save time at all.

2 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Farm Hands are called Farmers here.   Cant see it either. By the time you check in, and get out of that awfull Donmong Dump you wont save time at all.

I'm off to Phuket in three weeks and I'd rather drive 45 minutes north of here and get a plane direct to DMK than catch the 4 1/2 hour bus trip - I'm not leaving my car in car park for over week, the cost is exorbitant - to Future and then cab it to Don Muang.
That said, there still isn't an official price available for the flights.

42 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

I'm off to Phuket in three weeks and I'd rather drive 45 minutes north of here and get a plane direct to DMK than catch the 4 1/2 hour bus trip - I'm not leaving my car in car park for over week, the cost is exorbitant - to Future and then cab it to Don Muang.
That said, there still isn't an official price available for the flights.

The price is 2k each way if i recall but I will get that confirmed when I eventually find out who the hell to contact about booking it.

Last time I got the bus to Mochit took 6hrs !! Big difference for 2 @ 552 baht each way by bus or 4k each way by air. 

5 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

The price is 2k each way if i recall but I will get that confirmed when I eventually find out who the hell to contact about booking it.

Last time I got the bus to Mochit took 6hrs !! Big difference for 2 @ 552 baht each way by bus or 4k each way by air. 

I've had a couple of lengthy trips, too. Also ฿2000 is expensive considering one can get a ticket from Chiang Mai or Udon Thani to DMK for around ฿800 each way during promotion time.  Admittedly, I suppose AOT/TAT have to expect a smaller demand.

No matter where you live north of Bkk the only way is back to DM.!!.. Except for CM ,you cant just get a lift to the local airport, even the bigger provincial ones and nip to Phuket ,Krabi, or points South without being dumped in DM first.?.

Ok here is the latest 1999 baht is operated by SPlogistics see pics for contact details. 

If you return same day ticket 999 so some day total 2998 

THIS IS A CHARTER FLT SERVICE AND CANNOT BE BOOKED VIA NOK AIR.

1527931707367.jpg

1527931483311.jpg

carrying 5 passengers on each leg (There and back) will allow the flight to 'break even' add a bit of freight art making money...carry 10 or more pax its in profit. As a charter flight its able to get round some legal problems and would also see a 25 per cent return. But, Not if they don't market the service well! which at present isn't the case, it seems at the moment a rich boy's folly, perhaps the gentleman who tried to start Phetchabun's own airline several years ago. Chartering is a safer option, althrough last Saturday  Nok-air where acting as if they were doing it all by themselves, which of course they are only supplying the aircraft, and strange looking trolley dollies, even the pilots were keeping low-keyed. the photo's mainly over run by the Phetchabun trough feeders.

Archived