BANGKOK
webfact

Pattaya moans: Nothing but rude Indians, Chinese and Arabs - "they treat the place like they own it"

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

You have just demonstrated the point you are attempting to refute. "Westerners" are not a homogeneous group. There are distinct cultural and behavioural characteristics that differentiate them. For example, one of the reasons why the Thais  love the Danish and to a lesser extent  the Swedish is that these visitors tend to be kind and gentle with the Thais. They smile alot and  are an attractive lot, especially the younger demographic. The Thais who have visited Scandinavian countries come back with positive  stories. Not so the Thais who have worked or visited China, or India or had the misfortune of being mistreated workers in Gulf states.

The ethnic groups the Thais are  complaining about are specific to certain countries. For example, ethnic Chinese from Australia or the USA are not criticized, and are in fact desirable. This is because they tend to be young, good looking  and fun. They also  are not cheap. There are not many young Chinese nationals visiting Thailand.What Thailand gets are the older new "middle class". The better educated wealthy, and hip younger demographic go to Australia, new Zealand North America and Europe for holidays.

Many of us grew up with kids of Indian ethnicity. There probably isn't anyone under the age of  50 on Thai Visa from the UK, Australia or North America who didn't have "Indian" friends and schoolmates. We all heard the  comments  about Indians from them and many of us have been  to India so fully understand the issues the Thais are experiencing. The Indians coming to Thailand are the lower end demographic. Middle class by Indian standards, but low class and poor by developed world standards. The Indian assumptions of caste  and their presumption of superiority over the Thais because the Indian visitors have some rupiah back in India  are part of the reason why they fail as visitors. Again the  higher end  Indian demographic isn't targeting Thailand and those that come are small in numbers.

If you share 2 beers between 6 people, you really shouldn't be going into a bar and tying up its resources. You take up space and  make a mess. Yes, you are leser tourists. The Thais have a business and their intent is to  make a profit, not provide subsidized leisure opportunities for poor  tourists.  I get it, you have limited financial means. That's why there are 7-11s and Leo Beer. Go and buy your beer there and you can share the bottles back in your rooming house.

You appear to be confused. The requirement  to show deference is what is expected in  the middle east, particularly in  countries like Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait etc. If the slaves/indentured servants who typically come from  poorer SE Asian countries such as India, Pakistan and the Philippines do not show proper deference,  they can be beaten and manhandled. It seems some of the tourists from these countries have the attitude that they can treat the Thais in the same manner as they do their workers.  

I agree that my use of the word "Westerner" is too general and it cannot be that all Westerners have a bad attitude towards Indians, Chinese or Arabs. So surely it cannot be that all Indians, Chinese and Arabs in Thailand behave badly, which is the suggestion being made in most of the posts here. You mention the "Indians" from the UK and the "Chinese" from Australia and other places. The problem with race-based generalizations is that even these "well behaved" Indians and Chinese will be painted with the same brush, at least initially because the overriding factor is their race - how they look and not where they are from - India, Mauritius etc.

Your claim that the Danish and Swedes as well as the ethnic Chinese from the USA and Australia are treated better because they are "young, fun, attractive, good looking and not cheap" is just another generalization. I have met Indians from India who in my opinion are all these things. 

To conclude, if we can understand that Westerners are not a homogeneous group then it should not be very hard to understand that Indians, Chinese or Arabs are also not a homogeneous group and we should not be making generalizations based on their race.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ochomo said:

To conclude, if we can understand that Westerners are not a homogeneous group then it should not be very hard to understand that Indians, Chinese or Arabs are also not a homogeneous group and we should not be making generalizations based on their race.

I took his point to be that because the Indians that visit tend to be the lower demographic of Indian society, and the Chinese tend to be from the middle age demographic there would be some homogeneous attributes to those in LOS.

Westerners on the other hand are from all strata of society

On 27/11/2017 at 12:10 PM, ezflip said:

They ain't coming back because you treated them like $hit with all your scams. Much better places to go instead.

They've been asking the same question for the past 5 years but refusing to accept the answer...

They aint coming back because they are broke!  Same same Brits, etc! 

On 27/11/2017 at 12:59 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

But, you'll still take their money, right? 

Wrong! They spend very little!  Read the article this time.

they all departed due to the scams and wont be back any time soon ..so they deserve all the trash

55 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

they all departed due to the scams and wont be back any time soon ..so they deserve all the trash

They ran out of money.  A lot of the Brits struggled to cope with an ever worsening exchange rate, on top of a lower income stream.  In many cases those working in Thailand couldnt find work, or their sideline income from UK was not enough to live in Thailand.  Ordinary Brits- working class and even the better off- simply don't have the disposable income they previously had, so that accounts for the decline in free spending tourists.  I think it is a similar story the western world over with some exceptions, eg, Scandanavia.

If they had the money would they come back?  I really don't know because of all that's been mentioned: the interfering government that bans this, that, and the other, the attacks on farangs, the lack of road safety, and Thailand isn't the cheap place it was just a decade ago.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Well i must admit i have come across few scams in my life here , now i think because people realize that we live here and are not tourists .

as for the cash angle ,well when we first came here to live the baht was 71 to the pound and my savings in the UK got 6% interest , now you get about 43 to the pound and my savings get less than 1% still , better here than living with all the foreigners in my old home town , hardly ever hear English spoken there  any longer .:post-4641-1156694083: oh and its a pity there is a ball in front , as its not usually that ,they are bowing down to:smile:

• Like 1

On 16 December 2017 at 11:31 AM, geriatrickid said:

You appear to be confused. The requirement  to show deference is what is expected in  the middle east, particularly in  countries like Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait etc. If the slaves/indentured servants who typically come from  poorer SE Asian countries such as India, Pakistan and the Philippines do not show proper deference,  they can be beaten and manhandled. It seems some of the tourists from these countries have the attitude that they can treat the Thais in the same manner as they do their workers.  

Yes, this poster was confused and not for the first time. believe he thought he was naking some snide comment in reference to the British empire days. But Id rather have a history of British colonialism any day than one of gassing millions of innocent people. Talk about throwing stones inside glass houses, thy hypocricy is off the charts.

1 hour ago, uncleeagle said:

Yes, this poster was confused and not for the first time. believe he thought he was naking some snide comment in reference to the British empire days. But Id rather have a history of British colonialism any day than one of gassing millions of innocent people. Talk about throwing stones inside glass houses, thy hypocricy is off the charts.

rabugento1.gif

A disrespectful post has been removed

I sometimes feel a bit guilty when I find myself disliking the Chinese (PRC) and Indians, but it's so hard to overlook their behavior. I have been shoved out of the way several times by PRCs trying to get ahead of me in a line. The Indians are incredibly inconsiderate on buses, talking loudly and yelling down the aisle at each other. It can be maddening on a two-hour trip when they never stop talking for the whole journey.:sad:

Take away the Indians, Chinese and Arabs and my guesthouse loses 20% of my profit and 70% of my cancelations and no-shows. They truly are an interesting bunch.

On 12/16/2017 at 7:03 PM, mommysboy said:

They ran out of money.  A lot of the Brits struggled to cope with an ever worsening exchange rate, on top of a lower income stream.  In many cases those working in Thailand couldnt find work, or their sideline income from UK was not enough to live in Thailand.  Ordinary Brits- working class and even the better off- simply don't have the disposable income they previously had, so that accounts for the decline in free spending tourists.  I think it is a similar story the western world over with some exceptions, eg, Scandanavia.

If they had the money would they come back?  I really don't know because of all that's been mentioned: the interfering government that bans this, that, and the other, the attacks on farangs, the lack of road safety, and Thailand isn't the cheap place it was just a decade ago.

When you can buy a San Mig for 28 Baht rather than 120 in other countries and get a smile and conversation with it rather than a grunt and a return to looking at their smart phone.......any wonder people dont come here. Reap what you sow, made their bed etc....

• Like 1