BANGKOK
webfact

Pattaya moans: Nothing but rude Indians, Chinese and Arabs - "they treat the place like they own it"

10 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Anyone want to add to this list of only a few reasons why the Westerners are not coming in the numbers they did in say 2005?

Overly strong Baht.

Too many scams.

Blinkered tourist board courting the wrong nationalities  i.e. now over run with Chinese, Indians, Middle Eastern, Madagascans ?

Not listening to advise from Westerners already in LoS.

Filthy beaches and Sois.

As mentioned, bag snatching.

Brutal unprovoked assaults.

Deadly roads.

Ineffective Policing combined with corruption.

Unsafe balconies........

Junta.

Restrictive legitimate Visas for extended periods.

Obese gogo dancers and bar girls...............

Pretty good round up. You did forget the roads full of unroadworthy smoke billowing buses and other assorted vehicles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, timewilltell said:

Once there was a place called the Costa del Sol and the Costa Brava. British and other Europeans went there in droves. They built hotels and ripped off, scammed and raped their way out of favour until no 9ne goes there Any more. History is a worthwhile lesson!

I think a big part of it is the coolness/hipness/wow factor. Like how some clubs are cool until everyone goes there and then prices go up and it loses the coolness factor and then on to the next club.

For the Russians it was latex pillows.

For the Chinese ... you heard it here first ... the future is in PORK FLOSS.

3 hours ago, fanjita said:

Really?  Only two years ago it was still occasionally over 50 baht to the pound.  That's a big difference.  

Carry on in your day to day life with your blinkers on.  

Lets talk again next time it reaches 50 and we will see if everyone comes back .

8 hours ago, timewilltell said:

Once there was a place called the Costa del Sol and the Costa Brava. British and other Europeans went there in droves. They built hotels and ripped off, scammed and raped their way out of favour until no 9ne goes there Any more. History is a worthwhile lesson!

''no 9ne goes there Any more.''

:laugh: Sorry timewilltell but Spain had a record number of tourists in 2016....more than 75 million.

I don't like the Costa del Sol (both of Malaga) either but the numbers are staggering...still and growing.

The Costa Brava is a different cookie and has not many winter tourism like de Costa del Sol.

Than there is the Costa Blanca around Alicante; busy as ever and also in winter. (Senior citizens from all over Europe)

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

For the Russians it was latex pillows.

For the Chinese ... you heard it here first ... the future is in PORK FLOSS.

:laugh: wrong: chicken "paws"; America ships thousands of containers full of chicken feet every year..thousands.

300,000 tonnes of chicken feet and the US makes a good price for them :wink:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Tell that to all the Thai people who live OUTSIDE Thailand. I guess they should all go home, according to your "Logic". 

OK..................I will tell them all

• Thanks 1

But the pot is getting smaller is it not, so one day the lights will go out on the place. Talking to people in the UK these days see's a very different answer on the place to 4 years ago, then I was always saying how wonderful the place was and encouraged people I met to holiday here (but never in Patt). Now I get told no way would I go there even the post women asked today if I was going back now I am on the mend thanks to the NHS and my reply was not in the foreseeable future, so what has changed I wonder?

But seriously so many bad comments from people I meet and talk about Thai. The bank manager told me about his trip there and said never again too many cheats and liars. So looks like for now and only for a short time all that will come is rude Indians, Chinese and Arabs after that who will come I wonder as there are no others to turn too. Weather wise yes its cold, but that is kind of nice and no bloody insects biting me. You put the air con on, me I will just put the heating on and a coat when necessary, ain't missing it a bit sorry to say.

You're not missing it a bit.........but still can't get yourself off a forum discussing it.

Personally I don't believe a word of it. You miss it like hell.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

It's amazing how when everyone tries to talk Thailand down they know loads of people who have been recently who all hated it ............yeah right.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Anyone want to add to this list of only a few reasons why the Westerners are not coming in the numbers they did in say 2005?

Overly strong Baht.

Too many scams.

Blinkered tourist board courting the wrong nationalities  i.e. now over run with Chinese, Indians, Middle Eastern, Madagascans ?

Not listening to advise from Westerners already in LoS.

Filthy beaches and Sois.

As mentioned, bag snatching.

Brutal unprovoked assaults.

Deadly roads.

Ineffective Policing combined with corruption.

Unsafe balconies........

Junta.

Restrictive legitimate Visas for extended periods.

Obese gogo dancers and bar girls...............

All third world places are like that.   I can't afford any other places; therefore, I kept coming back to Chiangmai.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, champers said:

Pattaya is big enough to be all things to all people, though some long established businesses may need to adapt to survive. Nobody ought to be surprised that Thailand is attracting the huge numbers of new travellers who can now afford to travel here and are only a short haul flight away in India and China.

Within a 5 minute walk from where I live in Naklua there is a new 26 storey hotel due to open shortly (The Brighton Grand Hotel) and another extension; their second; being built at the Ayira Palace Hotel. At the bottom of the hill Terminal 21 is going to be ready to open next year and will have a 500 room hotel as its centrepiece. Amari are building 2 new hotels on their site and Dusit Thani have spent the equivalent of 1 million Baht per room on their hotel's improvements. 

My concern is that the current infrastructure cannot cope, but I am confident that private investors will increasingly pick up the considerable slack caused by ineffective public spending.

In the end, the markets; and those who control and make them - major hoteliers and retailers; will ensure that Pattaya continues growing and growing profitably.

There will still be plenty of places for the sex tourists who visit and those who live in Pattaya too. It is a side of Pattaya that attracts far more people to come here than it puts off from coming here. Pattaya Walking Street is globally famous and top of the list of places to go for most first-time visitors.

When new malls open they just suck people from older Malls.  Say 8 years ago , i could barely walk among pedestrians in soi 3 ( Big C ) , now most of the time its rather empty.

Central Festival does not has a much people as on the first 2 years.

• Like 1