Truck driver arrested after motorcycling mom, daughter die in Suphan Buri

webfact

Truck driver arrested after motorcycling mom, daughter die in Suphan Buri

By The Nation

A mother and daughter were killed and the mother’s nephew injured when their motorcycle collided with a truck on their way to school in Suphan Buri on Monday morning.

Police said the accident happened at 7am at an intersection in Moo 3 village in Tambon Nong Ong in Uthong district.

The mother, La-ongsiri La-ongnual, 41, and her daughter, Arinlada La-ongnual, 15, died on their way to a hospital. Siwakorn Chaokongjak, 14, was severely injured.

Police arrested the truck driver, Chaiwat Permpool, 45, on a charge of reckless driving causing deaths and injuries.

Police alleged that Chaiwat made a right turn at the intersection without first checking that the way was clear. He collided with the motorcycle driven by La-ongsiri.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30332590

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-27

This is tragic and was likely preventable. I've been driving motorbikes for 40 years and you have to drive like everyone is out to kill you. Anything less is dangerous.

I'd like to see CCTV footage is possible. No doubt the truck driver was careless but was mom on the bike inattentive at all? Passing the truck when a potential turning point was present? You have to be hyper aware of vehicles turning and take precautions.

Very sad......

Without any evidence other than personal experience, I have to wonder which side of the road the motorcycle was on. On several occasions, I have attempted to make a right turn, only to have a bike appear from my left, and very close to the nose of the pickup, also making a right turn but from the wrong side of the road. From a truck, they would be very hard to see.

22 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

What was she doing with 2 children on the bike anyway , most likely all 3 no helmets also.

Anyway sad accident again, R.I.P.

I have stopped trying to make heads or tails of what Thais do.

If you collide with someone coming towards you in your lane (midnight driving I think) you will be guilty because you did not see something that you normally wouldn't look for.

I sincerely make a wish that I don't have an accident every time I get in my car.

58 minutes ago, Cereal said:

This is tragic and was likely preventable. I've been driving motorbikes for 40 years and you have to drive like everyone is out to kill you. Anything less is dangerous.

I'd like to see CCTV footage is possible. No doubt the truck driver was careless but was mom on the bike inattentive at all? Passing the truck when a potential turning point was present? You have to be hyper aware of vehicles turning and take precautions.

Very sad......

hard to charge a dead person with contributory negligence but seems, from the little we know, that a bit of defensive driving might have avoided this;

thai carelessness, tho, seems an across-the-board trait;

i once asked a thai why they didnt look both ways when crossing the street, they gave me that classic thai retort look which, unspokingly, means 'why would i do that?'; short conversation 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

died on their way to a hospital. Siwakorn Chaokongjak,

So their deaths will not figure in the annual statistics.  The baht bus crash last week en route  to Sattahip quoted 5 dead.  This now sits at NINE.  The driver has disappeared.  The owner has offered 300,000 per corpse which might disappear as another victim is 50-50.

Archived