Lift plunges after Chinese tour group push and shove their way in

webfact

Lift plunges after Chinese tour group push and shove their way in

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai media reported that several Chinese people were injured when an overloaded lift plunged after a tour group returned from a day out at a plush Chiang Mai hotel.

Thai Rath said the tourists pushed and shoved their way into the lift overfilling it from the prescribed 10 persons.

There were 15 in the lift.

It fell but fortunately did not smash into the ground. Five people were injured mostly with cuts and were taken to Maharat Nakorn Hospital for treatment.

The hotel was not named. The lift was shut down as the hotel ordered repairs to be made.

A Chiang Mai police team led by Adul Somsuay and tourism cops were on the scene Monday.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-28

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yet another lift falling in LoS.......... The real safety systems in a lift should make it impossible for it to move never mind fall.

There was a report of an escalator falling apart the other day !

Reminds me of when I was "on the tools" working  with Indians and Arabs. I could get 3 or 4 more turns on a bolt, nut or screw more than any of them.

They are made of gristle not muscle.

I think the Thais are pretty much the same and probably never use torque wrenches.

35 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Som nam na. Stupidity and impatience have a price.

The hotel operator should give them the bill for the repairs.

And what if the instructions how to use the lift were not written in chinese characters and the tourists couldn't read english?

Usually there'll be a beeper-alarm for when it's overloaded. But if that's ignored or not understood than who's to blame? 

4 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i'm no engineer but common sense would suggest lifts have a fail safe mechanism so in the event of overloading/malfunction a brake is applied so the lift will not move?

They do. There will be an audible alarm if the maximum weight is exceeded and the lift will not work. But if you overload the lift enough then the cable will break and the lift will fall a short distance before the safety lock kicks in. This also happens if the lift speed exceeds a specific maximum for whatever reason.

It seems that this is what happened in this case.

These Chinese people are still idiots though. Talk about born in a barn. Born on the floor of a barn more likely.

17 minutes ago, Thian said:

Usually there'll be a beeper-alarm for when it's overloaded. But if that's ignored or not understood than who's to blame? 

Put 15 people into an elevator designed for 10 and it should be pretty obvious that it's overloaded. And how stupid do you need to be not to understand a warning buzzer, or to ignore it?

59 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Som nam na. Stupidity and impatience have a price.

The hotel operator should give them the bill for the repairs.

What about the first few people that got in, i.e. before the lift became unsafe, does 'som nam na' apply to them as well?

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

They do. There will be an audible alarm if the maximum weight is exceeded and the lift will not work. But if you overload the lift enough then the cable will break and the lift will fall a short distance before the safety lock kicks in. This also happens if the lift speed exceeds a specific maximum for whatever reason.

It seems that this is what happened in this case.

These Chinese people are still idiots though. Talk about born in a barn. Born on the floor of a barn more likely.

Don't talk about barns. These are people born under the long ancient Chinese culture all washed away by that Little Red Book.

You don't see the same behaviour in those Chinese born without that Little Red Book.

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Put 15 people into an elevator designed for 10 and it should be pretty obvious that it's overloaded. And how stupid do you need to be not to understand a warning buzzer, or to ignore it?

Not really overloaded, just 150% in terms of count, which is virtually nothing because not all the people weight the same. Safety factor in cable can be 11 or 12, mean it can sustain 100 people. And it did not really crashed, we don;t know if there was a warning in place and if it was working.

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

All of them looking at each other thinking "what the hell is that noise???"

Truth be told, I'm quite impressed this does happen very often (or maybe we just don't hear of it).  I'll try to notice where the elevator was made while I'm standing inside of it, about 15 years ago most of the elevators I rode in Thailand were from Europe (Germany in particular) and Japan.  I'll hazard a guess China is in the elevator business now.

It's been a while since I was a student, but I recall an engineering prof saying that the posted maximum load of an elevator is actually half of what the car can handle: I'll assume he was talking about in the U.S.

Yes, an overweight alarm that disables the doors from closing is fairly normal in the Modern World.

This is a sign in the Kowloon Mansions.  And I recall if the car was overweight an alarm would go off and the doors would not close.

fire.jpg.e4b0fe741260b1aad1ca172290cdd3ff.jpg

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

They got it wrong, Chinese do not push and shove, they are a civilised race, especially at the breakfast buffet of the 5 star hotels we have stayed at 555

Image result for picture of Chinese people stampeding

It's all to do with upbringing. Thailand's at risk of going the same way, until the populace - both old and young - feel that there is a respected government in control of things.

6 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

It's a shame it didn't plunge 30 floors before stopping abruptly in the basement.

Why?

It isn't only Chinese that cram into lifts.

I have been in many lifts in Thailand where they cram as many people in as possible. It seems there is "always room for one more" even though the alarm rings. I must admit I get worried sometimes.

1 hour ago, petedk said:

Why?

It isn't only Chinese that cram into lifts.

I have been in many lifts in Thailand where they cram as many people in as possible. It seems there is "always room for one more" even though the alarm rings. I must admit I get worried sometimes.

Don't worry there are plenty more where they came from and they won't be missed.  If the buzzer started to ring I would push my way out and mutter loud enough for them to hear that I thought they were <deleted> animals. To each his own I guess

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They got it wrong, Chinese do not push and shove, they are a civilised race, especially at the breakfast buffet of the 5 star hotels we have stayed at 555

Image result for picture of Chinese people stampeding

I've seen Chinese at a 5-star hotel breakfast buffet go and clear a whole plate of some food from the buffet stand just slide iit all onto their plate, look at me with a look like "haha beat you to it." 

Greedy pigs

Archived