Lift plunges after Chinese tour group push and shove their way in

webfact

Just now, sahibji said:

where was the hotel  security and the other staff who are usually hanging around the lobby.

hello this is a plush hotel. are the lifts not fitted with security device to indicate overloading. these are basic precautionary tools. I am not saying that the tourists were right. they ought to have exercised some restraint but in the absence of the overloading indicator they probably felt the situation was alright. clearly the hotel is a fault.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bypassed safety mechanism - par for the course in Thailand.  Yes, the Chinese tourists overloaded the lift, but a properly maintained lift would sound an alarm and lock in place until the overweight condition was remedied.  DOSH will of course give the hotel and elevator maintenance company a clean bill of health on this incident which was 100% their fault.  Luckily it sounds like there were only minor injuries.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They got it wrong, Chinese do not push and shove, they are a civilised race, especially at the breakfast buffet of the 5 star hotels we have stayed at 555

Image result for picture of Chinese people stampeding

kiasu

ˈkiːəsuː/ noun - a grasping, selfish attitude. Welcome first class quality idiots.

High spending Quality tourists from China make up the   numbers and their cheap package said 15 into s lift no matter what Ottis manual says. Tourism minister got kicked out just when she started to enjoy the high rate bribes, who are we going to blame for this invent. 

I would like to say 'som nam na', but the fact is, I think the hotel has to take the blame too. Or the lift company or operator or whatever. Because from experience, an overloaded lift will not move. The doors will not close until the extra weight is taken out of the lift. The fact that the lift was overloaded and yet it moved showed a problem with the lift, never mind that it was full of barbarians inside.

Or perhaps it was not overloaded to start with? Perhaps they did something inside the lift - like move about too much, causing the lift to be unstable (is this even possible? I don't know... I'm not an engineer in this respect) or something - that made the lift fail.

53 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

555  Alarms and safeties disabled/bypassed after too many resets, and costly calls to lift (elevator company) technicians.  

My thoughts too.... the most likely cause here (this elevator/thailand) would have to be due to lack of maintenance.

theres obviously not enough information here to do anything other than speculate.... but in general, elevators are very safe ( stats suggest 20 times safer than escalators!)

IMHO....., any costs should be born by the hotel, because it was their lift, and it is their responsibility to ensure correct use (even including an operator within, or distributing amulets to all guests) ..... and correct auditable maintenance.... let’s face it, thailand is certainly not a “hub of maintenance”

as an aside... a very quick google search indicates that the most common cause of elevator cable failure is as a result of the building being hit by an airplane.

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I tend to avoid escalators and elevators in Thailand whenever possible. lol

Gosh - I suppose you don’t eat any fruit and vegetables either after the recent scare. 

I wouldn’t breathe too much either because of the high level of diesel particulates 

43 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

I've seen Chinese at a 5-star hotel breakfast buffet go and clear a whole plate of some food from the buffet stand just slide iit all onto their plate, look at me with a look like "haha beat you to it." 

Greedy pigs

I learnt to be ahead of them, i.e. be there before they get there, that is as soon as breakfast opens, because the way they handle the food is disgusting, right in front of me, picking up bread and cakes with their hands and putting them back after having a feel, watermelon, even coughing all over food, as my first point is to get to a hotel ranging from a 3 to 5 star, sliding down or up if I know if Chinese are staying there, in my opinion they are dirty people and my Thai wife isn't afraid to serve it to them in a few words so to speak, while I hide behind here, with my wiggly wiggly thing between legs 555

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They got it wrong, Chinese do not push and shove, they are a civilised race, especially at the breakfast buffet of the 5 star hotels we have stayed at 555

The pushing by Chinese in 5-star hotels are nothing at all, compared to the pushing by Chinese tourists in 2-3 star hotels.  Chinese people staying in 5-star hotels actually do have better manners.

I did though experience Chinese tourists in 5-star hotels prepping 2 kg lobsters on one plate and scraping the glacing of the cake and leaving the rest for others.

4 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Reminds me of when I was "on the tools" working  with Indians and Arabs. I could get 3 or 4 more turns on a bolt, nut or screw more than any of them.

They are made of gristle not muscle.

I think the Thais are pretty much the same and probably never use torque wrenches.

Lmao.... I used to intervene when my patience had run out, and say something like... let grandpa have a go now!

my idea, origionally, was to try to shame the young bucks into doing better..... but that just didn’t work, so it became more of a mantra for my own amusement

I got caught in a wave of Chinese humanity (err, INSANE-NESS) at Nong Nooch Gardens on my first ever visit to Pattaya when they opened the gates for the elephant show.

About a thousand elbow jabs (I was giving and receiving) later I made it to the sidelines. My ribs were sore for a week!

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

They do. There will be an audible alarm if the maximum weight is exceeded and the lift will not work. But if you overload the lift enough then the cable will break and the lift will fall a short distance before the safety lock kicks in. This also happens if the lift speed exceeds a specific maximum for whatever reason.

It seems that this is what happened in this case.

These Chinese people are still idiots though. Talk about born in a barn. Born on the floor of a barn more likely.

The cables will not break if overloaded as safety factors exceeding 10 times the maximum load are normal design considerations.

4 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

yet another lift falling in LoS.......... The real safety systems in a lift should make it impossible for it to move never mind fall.

There was a report of an escalator falling apart the other day !

Reminds me of when I was "on the tools" working  with Indians and Arabs. I could get 3 or 4 more turns on a bolt, nut or screw more than any of them.

They are made of gristle not muscle.

I think the Thais are pretty much the same and probably never use torque wrenches.

Talk wrench is girlfriend on Facebook or line.  

Civilised?

That's what they think of themselves, obviously, the me first mentality is the most developed treat.

I was once in an ancient hotel lift that collapsed on to its springs a floor and a half  in Salonika in Northern Greece.  It dropped quite slowly and luckily no one was hurt but what was scary was the panic of the elderly Greek women dressed in widow's weeds as it fell and when we were stuck at the bottom of the lift shaft for 40 minutes.

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

Sometimes the harsh & nasty comments on here astound me!

Do people, even if they are "stupid & impatient" deserve to be hurt?

Were there any children in the lift - did they also deserve this?

Yes, stupidity deserves justice before given the chance to hurt others. Allowing some to breed goes against natural selection.

7 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

I got caught in a wave of Chinese humanity (err, INSANE-NESS) at Nong Nooch Gardens on my first ever visit to Pattaya when they opened the gates for the elephant show.

About a thousand elbow jabs (I was giving and receiving) later I made it to the sidelines. My ribs were sore for a week!

I´ve tried the same thing when entering a public bus in a big city in China.  I immediately learned how to to push back.

My wife & I cross the street when we see 'em coming

4 hours ago, nev said:

I am so so glad the hotel ordered repair  to the lift.

I understand it is just minor repair, sort of touch up. Got me? So nothing to be glad about. The boss said no need major repair, just don't overload it would be ok. See what I mean?

I think this photo was taken in the train not lift. Am I right?

Archived