Lift plunges after Chinese tour group push and shove their way in

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Put 15 people into an elevator designed for 10 and it should be pretty obvious that it's overloaded. And how stupid do you need to be not to understand a warning buzzer, or to ignore it?

I was in a lift in Maya in Chiang Mai and heaps people piled in. Alarm went off saying overloaded (in English) people just kept pushing buttons. I said too many people. People just looking at each other and pushing the buttons. I said much louder and pointed to alarm too many people. A few got out and we were off. 

21 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

Thai media reported that several Chinese people were injured when an overloaded lift plunged after a tour group returned from a day out at a plush Chiang Mai hotel.

Cringe-worthily bad syntax in this sentence. Did the Chinese people really have a day out at a plush Chiang Mai hotel? Or a day out somewhere around the city, and they returned to said hotel?  And does it matter that they were Chinese?

Yes it matters as Chinese are without patience or manners.

2 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Yes it matters as Chinese are without patience or manners.

In other words, the article mentions the nationality of the subject as it's normal for any piece of news, but Westerners on Thai Visa will add remarks on whatever lack of qualities other nationalities have. Which evidently comforts both writer and readers.

4 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Bypassed safety mechanism - par for the course in Thailand.  Yes, the Chinese tourists overloaded the lift, but a properly maintained lift would sound an alarm and lock in place until the overweight condition was remedied.  DOSH will of course give the hotel and elevator maintenance company a clean bill of health on this incident which was 100% their fault.  Luckily it sounds like there were only minor injuries.

Made in China? :wink:

15 minutes ago, paz said:

In other words, the article mentions the nationality of the subject as it's normal for any piece of news, but Westerners on Thai Visa will add remarks on whatever lack of qualities other nationalities have. Which evidently comforts both writer and readers.

Was not Thailand originally named Siam. You know why in early 1900's it was was changed to Thailand, It was because Siam is a Chinese name! Aside from that have no idea what your point is!

I live in Laos, whilst going 'up' in a lift to a networking function, a heaps of Lao people proceeded into the lift until one smart person observed; "Hey look, we are only allowed 12 people in here ..." So the girl in question and her mate decided to get out ... I called them back in Lao Language and reminded them that it is for 12 'Falangs' (Farangs in Thai), not 12 Lao people ... I kid you not, nobody was touching anybody as we headed for the 10th floor, there would have hardly been 50 to 60 klgs in weight between each of them !  .... some Chinese on the other hand, can be quite 'meaty' !!!

7 hours ago, Thian said:

And what if the instructions how to use the lift were not written in chinese characters and the tourists couldn't read english?

Usually there'll be a beeper-alarm for when it's overloaded. But if that's ignored or not understood than who's to blame? 

The English version says "dont overload the lift".

The Chinese says "Stop pushing and shoving you crazies".

7 hours ago, samsensam said:

i'm no engineer but common sense would suggest lifts have a fail safe mechanism so in the event of overloading/malfunction a brake is applied so the lift will not move?

Yes, that is normally the case.

On my last trip to China, I went inside a lift and about 15 people stormed in, in addition to the four people in my group. Lift was only designed for 10 people, so initially it wouldn't operate, however the doors wouldn't open either. Around 3 people left voluntarily after we managed to open the doors for a moment, after which the doors were firmly shut, then the lift slowly sunk down to the below ground floor (parking lot); the doors couldn't be opened, so we had to wait around 15 minutes for someone to open the doors for us after one of our group pushed the emergency button. It was one of those Ha! moments, only in China.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai media reported that several Chinese people were injured when an overloaded lift plunged after a tour group returned from a day out at a plush Chiang Mai hotel.

I am intrigued as to why anyone would go to Chiang Mai and spend a day out at a plush hotel. Surely there is a lot more to see and do in Chiang Mai. 

1 hour ago, Essaybloke said:

Cringe-worthily bad syntax in this sentence. Did the Chinese people really have a day out at a plush Chiang Mai hotel? Or a day out somewhere around the city, and they returned to said hotel?  And does it matter that they were Chinese?

It's like the body that was discovered by a tramp in an advanced state of decomposition. I have sympathy for the tramp.

1 hour ago, wavemanwww said:

That's Japan. Not Chinese

Yes... I realized that a bit late, but I had searched “Chinese’s train overload” and that came up.... I was to busy laughing to note the Japan bit... cheers for picking up on my mistake

Reminds me of the lifts in Chungking Mansions in Hong Kong - there was always a long queue to get in and the buzzer goes off after a few too many, so people will grab onto the side rail inside the lift to raise their feet off the floor. Buzzer stops, door closes, and up you go - problem solved.

9 hours ago, Thian said:

And what if the instructions how to use the lift were not written in chinese characters and the tourists couldn't read english?

Usually there'll be a beeper-alarm for when it's overloaded. But if that's ignored or not understood than who's to blame? 

If you can not use a lift/elevator then stay at home. Period.

Archived