Lift plunges after Chinese tour group push and shove their way in

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chinese do seem to love to push, shove their way around. Watched it at the check in desk at a Cambodia airport. Twice security rushed in to seperate the Chinese combatants.

Also, once they get to a tourist site, they park themselves in doorways, windows, it seems forever, while family, friends take photo's of them, while everyone else stands around waiting for them to get out of the way so they can take a quick photo.

If you act like livestock, life will treat you like it!

Chinese a perfect example, and impossible to miss anywhere I encounter them. Always pushing, shoving, trying to cut the line no matter what, and talking like they all deaf.

I'll never forget standing in the airport passport line in Kuala Lumpur with a bunch of young Americans. They were of course spaced out like they were still back on the plains of Texas. Right behind them was some kind of a Chinese tour group which was literally packing together front to back like sardines, when there was no need for it, and trying to cut the line to get ahead of the Yank contingent.

At one point a group of about a dozen of the Chinese tried to cut in front of us, acting like they didn't even realize they were doing it.

The Americans naturally raised a ruckus and began blocking them at every turn like a football team, maintaining their usual spacious skies spacing.

The Chinese were yapping something and looking at the Americans as if they were crazy and unreasonable. You could see that it was just their cultural, innate way to act like sheeple, and trample everyone in their path, including each other. It's striking every time I see it.

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

News flash... This ain't Japan... no warnings.. NO MAINTENANCE !!!

Like I mentioned previously I was in a lift in Chiang Mai and too many people got in. WARNING alarm and lift did not move until people got out. And Chiang Mai is inThailand.

11 hours ago, Thian said:

And what if the instructions how to use the lift were not written in chinese characters and the tourists couldn't read english?

Usually there'll be a beeper-alarm for when it's overloaded. But if that's ignored or not understood than who's to blame? 

I live in China - I see the way they push and shove and elbow and behave like socially ignorant morons every day!! if you dont know China dont comment!!

I was in Pattaya a few years back and had a similar incident happen: 

My Thai friend and I boarded a very small elevator to travel one story to the beach; it's weight capacity rated at 500lbs.  When the doors were closing a couple of really heavy set Russians, (man and wife I assume), came running up and grabbed the door, forcing it to open and tried to crowd in.  The overweight alarms immediately started to sound off.  We put up our hands and tried to kindly explain to them that this elevator could not take all of us and they needed to wait for the elevator to return to pick them up.  They both tried to grab our arms to drag us out of the elevator and we had to get physical with them; they wanted us out and they go first.  We did succeed in fending them off and going duo on the elevator.  So the Chinese aren't the only culture in the world to try to crowd onto an elevator that is not rated for their weight.  It was a crazy experience for sure.  I did learn some new Russian cuss words though.  The woman was very good and using them. LOL 

I stay at this hotel in ChiangMai regularly (not far from Tapae Gate) and I must say it is a good, friendly, well run hotel.

It is nearly always fully occupied and unfortunately (from my observation) about 70%+ of the guests are Chinese.

There are 3 lifts in the Lobby, I don't know if on the day of the incident all 3 were operating but that is still no excuse for their (Chinese tour group) lack of commonsense.

Crikey!  It's a tight squeeze in those lifts with just 8 people and a suitcase let alone 15.

I'm sure the management will have repaired the lift as quickly as possible. It's not their fault that a certain proportion of their guests are unruly, uncivilised, rude, obnoxious low class tourists all coincidentally of the same nationality.

I know staying at that Hotel, I MUST get to the buffet breakfast early (around 7.30am) before all the Chinese guests. THEY tend to hog the food, all queue on mass, leave the serving tray lids OPEN, cough over the food serving trays and almost shout at each other around the breakfast table. I do notice that a lot of the other Euro and westerner guests all tend to come down for the breakfast early for maybe the same reason.

For a lot of these Chinese Tour groups it's their first trip out of their country... they rarely venture out from the comfort zone of their group and a sort of mob mentality lingers. It appears that the busload of Chinese that TOURED TOGETHER that day in the bus, STAYED TOGETHER in the lift.

I have noticed that 'modern' lifts here and elsewhere have overload alarms.  When overloaded the alarm sounds and the lift doesn't move...  then again, in this case the alarm may have sounded but the unruly rabble may have been shouting over the top of each other.

It's a nice hotel...  a pity about some of the guests! 

Mankind can't MAKE an elevator that'll be "Chinese-proof"!   If staying in a hotel with lots of Chinese and can ever manage to get ON an elevator, you'll need Delta Force to help force your way off of it again against the onrushing swarm of Chinese.

It's no wonder they fired the Tourism minister...

These lift should lock and refuse to move if they sense they are overloaded.

I have certainly been in hotels where large groups of Chinese try to push their way into the lift, often irrespective of the direction they want to go!

Dumb as rocks.

21 hours ago, Thian said:

And what if the instructions how to use the lift were not written in chinese characters and the tourists couldn't read english?

Usually there'll be a beeper-alarm for when it's overloaded. But if that's ignored or not understood than who's to blame? 

you are assuming that the chinese involved could read and would  obey the sign! not in this life time! have you ever been to china?

18 hours ago, wavemanwww said:

Clearly you have not been in a line at the airport have you?

Exactly. Last year I was lining up at Don Muang airport for an Air Asia flight from Chiang Mai to Beijing. It was pandemonium. Got pushed and shoved. It felt like I was taking the last flight out before an impending disaster.

Never again!

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

126 posts later I have reached to a peaceful conclusion : take the stairs !!:cheesy:

I've stayed at a few hotels in a number of Asian countries, and I've often used the stairs (or at least taken a quick look at them).  On a few occasions the stairwells have been cluttered with old broken wardrobes, a/c units, window frames, building materials and the like.  In one apartment (rather than hotel) there weren't even stairs on the final flight... just a 45 degree concrete slope!!!! 

2 hours ago, searcher22 said:

Exactly. Last year I was lining up at Don Muang airport for an Air Asia flight from Chiang Mai to Beijing. It was pandemonium. Got pushed and shoved. It felt like I was taking the last flight out before an impending disaster.

Never again!

That's Chinese manners! Oops no manners.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:38 AM, worgeordie said:

Was it a Chinese made lift !, if the lift was overloaded surely it would

not work,due to safety system,if fitted !, cable snapped ?,important

to not mention name of hotel,must save face.

regards worgeordie

The safety devices caught the lift before it crashed, so a good lift,
no face to be saved except guests' that have egg on their face anyway, imho.

Overloaded 50 %, depending on the weight of the passengers, instead of 600-800 kg load a 1200 plus kg load maybe could snap a cable, although one would think the safety margin should be larger.

On 28/11/2017 at 10:17 AM, samsensam said:

i'm no engineer but common sense would suggest lifts have a fail safe mechanism so in the event of overloading/malfunction a brake is applied so the lift will not move?

Actually that's what happened, lift have a safety brake that is actuated over a certain speed. Otherwise they might have hit the bottom of the shaft.

Archived