Tourists warned to respect Thai culture - two who showed their butts at Wat Arun arrested

webfact

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Butt-Baring Tourists Charged With Indecency

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

bb.jpg

BANGKOK — Butts. Everyone’s got one – but that doesn’t mean everyone wants to see them.

Dropping drawers to bare one’s bottom at famous tourist attractions may be a trend online – but Bangkok is having none of it. Two Americans who posed for photos of their bare backsides last week at Wat Arun and posted them online were tracked down and charged with indecency, police said Wednesday.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/11/29/butt-baring-tourists-charged-indecency/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-11-29

Whereas one can't imagine what possessed these 2 buffoons, one also has to express concerns about countries that are so sensitive about things like this - for example the USA and their flag......it just seems unnecessarily nationalist.....and one always needs to be concerned about over zealous nationalism, right?

Let's not confuse patriotism and nationalism.

52 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

As mentioned above the local variant of public indecency, "...getting naked in public", five thousand baht fine.
A relatively modern outrage as within living memory, (granted kuhn pah at 91 is old), working class ladies often went topless. The whole traditional mode of dress was changed by government fiat in an effort to match the perceived economic advantages of Western attitudes and  business culture.

The Thai authorities have to cum down hard on these guys. I suggest a public flogging, with scented jos-sticks in Pattaya, just as a gentle warning to others. Then parade them naked through BKK (make them walk behind a police car; tethered so they can't run off). Deport them and ask them not to return for 3 months.

"The two men had posted pictures of their behinds at other places before like the Louvre in Paris and the Capitol in Washington."

I for one have zero interest in the butt  of any man but I can't help but question the sensitivity of a country that goes to such an extreme  as  placing  a person on a watch list  for posting his hairy ass  on the internet.

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

Hope they put them in for about 10 years. Must be the price for such stupidity and ignorance believing that their butts are more important than a countries history and religion.

10 years for showing your arse?  If you were around in the 18th Century I bet you would have been clapping when people got hung or deported for stealing a loaf of bread

35 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

"The two men had posted pictures of their behinds at other places before like the Louvre in Paris and the Capitol in Washington."

I for one have zero interest in the butt  of any man but I can't help but question the sensitivity of a country that goes to such an extreme  as  placing  a person on a watch list  for posting his hairy ass  on the internet.

The problem, in this case, is their juxtaposition of their <deleted> with Wat Arun.

Big mistake.

Anyone who doesn't understand why it is such a mistake needs to do a bit of reading on Thai cultural mores. 

Most importantly they need to accept the contradictions and absurdities (which exist in all cultures ) and "get used to it".

At the very least it might have kept these two off a watch list and out of jail.

3 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

Minority groups- because for so long they are so sensitive to every slight thing that offend them, now think they can get away with anything.

Same, if you dare to bring up when gays behave in sexual harrassment ways to hetero males, quickly laughed off..

Or you get told...NEXT!!

Hope they really make a example of these two xxxxxx bandits

You need to take your meds, mate - your lunacy is showing 

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Hope they put them in for about 10 years. Must be the price for such stupidity and ignorance believing that their butts are more important than a countries history and religion.

Your compassion is overwhelming Sir! I'd say 30 days would be sufficient.

It wasn't that they were showing their ring-pieces. Just showing a couple of cheeks. Cheeky chappies! These Thai up-in-arms nutters will be insisting on buffaloes and cows wearing nappies soon. 

Just a bit of fun!!

5 hours ago, kingkenny said:

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

As stupid as these queers are for doing this arresting them is ludicrous, it will be interesting to see the charge. This is more of a knee jerk reaction from the authorities.

for showing a vertical smiley which can't be unseen. Being American they should be let off as having no idea what culture is.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Except that's not true.

Showing your arse is a sign of being an idiot, not sexual orientation.

in this case it is both, and you know it. I lived in West Hollywood (with my girlfriend) which is one of the Gay capitals of the world, and if you have ever seen a Gay pride parade, this behavior is exactly the same.  

40 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Always good to see the usual crowd of TVF swivel-eye loonies proposing lengthy prison sentences along with prison rape. 

Thank god they only let you guys out on day release, I am just surprised they give you all Internet access 

That was a sarcastic joke post .

It is what a few people post when sex offenders are in the news .

"Put them in jail with a big black man to get a taste of their own medicine" is a usual response and I thought it quite funny to add that to  this thread

Just now, NCC1701A said:

in this case it is both, and you know it. I lived in West Hollywood (with my girlfriend) which is one of the Gay capitals of the world, and if you have ever seen a Gay pride parade, this behavior is exactly the same.  

No, it's not.

Played rugby in my teens and whenever we played away, you could be sure there would be a series of ''moons'' at some point or other.

Some of those guys may have been gay but not all.

Seen it happen on more occasions than I care to think about.

Seen men and women do it.

They were all idiots or drunk, often both.

However never did it indicate sexual orientation.

5 hours ago, chrisinth said:

IMO they should arrest the photographer as well in that case.

That said, is it anything to do with disrespecting culture? They are using landmarks to document their little gay global photo-journal that's all.

You don't think that showing your bare anus off in public and photographing it at an important religious center is disrespectful?

Each to their own.

Most countries have public decency laws.

Archived