At least 7 agencies “taking bribes” business operators at Krabi’s Ao Nang beach

webfact

At least 7 agencies “taking bribes” business operators at Krabi’s Ao Nang beach

By Thai PBS

2911002.jpg

Officials of at least seven government agencies are taking bribes from business operators at Ao Nang beach of Krabi province in return for not fully enforcing the law on them, according to Ekawit Pinyothamnothai, president of the Krabi Tourism Industry Council.

Mr Ekawit said he had received this information from business operators. Most affected are entertaining venues and businesses involving use of transnational migrant workers and sales of pirated merchandise at tourist spots in Tambon Ao Nang.

The business operators said they had to pay bribes to government officials of more than seven agencies between 2,000 and 30,000 baht each per month. They included local police, regional police and administrative officials.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/least-7-agencies-taking-bribes-business-operators-krabis-ao-nang-beach/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-29

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

The business operators said they had to pay bribes to government officials of more than seven agencies between 2,000 and 30,000 baht each per month

Good chance there's not much left over after all that, plus rent and normal OPEX.

OTOH, there's this:

taking bribes from business operators at Ao Nang beach of Krabi province in return for not fully enforcing the law on them

Leading me to wonder if legal businesses that aren't breaking the law are getting hit, or is it just the ones selling knockoffs, hiring illegals, or whatever other laws they're violating?

yikes.  Most cities in the world have some sort of "protection" rackets run by the local mafia or sometimes police, but officials on top of officials on top of officials?  Goodness.  what a parasitic society.  When did Thailand get so lazy such that they need to harass the working force and individual business owners so much?

Yeah, but Thailand is still a great place to do business according to business journalists. They come here on holidays to talk to government and business leaders and are told great things.  Things always look and sound better from the window of a four or five start hotel. 

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Yeah, but Thailand is still a great place to do business according to business journalists.

If you read the articles carefully, most of them are about the ease of setting up a business. 

Not so much about making them go.

19 hours ago, impulse said:

Good chance there's not much left over after all that, plus rent and normal OPEX.

OTOH, there's this:

taking bribes from business operators at Ao Nang beach of Krabi province in return for not fully enforcing the law on them

Leading me to wonder if legal businesses that aren't breaking the law are getting hit, or is it just the ones selling knockoffs, hiring illegals, or whatever other laws they're violating?

What do you think?

14 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

yikes.  Most cities in the world have some sort of "protection" rackets run by the local mafia or sometimes police, but officials on top of officials on top of officials?  Goodness.  what a parasitic society.  When did Thailand get so lazy such that they need to harass the working force and individual business owners so much?

Squeeze, sir, is the accepted business practice in a certain Asian country and with its landsman.

When or IF Thailand ever becomes a real democratic country again, maybe things will slowly

modernize.  While it is being ruled by the military, Yes Ruled. Things cannot change.

I keep hoping and waiting for a fair, and not paid off democratic election, and I hope that

the next electiuon  is completely different than the last two.

Geezer

23 hours ago, hansnl said:
On 11/29/2017 at 4:14 PM, impulse said:

What do you think?

Really, I don't know.  But it would be good information for anyone who's doing or contemplating doing a fully legal business to know if they need to budget for bribes and extortion in their planning.

surely if all the govt agencies are involved it 's not corruption - it's govt policy. We all know govt personnel don't get paid very much-so this cosy arrangement seems to fill the gap.

Its a national scandal how much is collected by govt personnel that doesn't end up in govt coffers i would imagine(dont know the inner workings of govt but there is obviously some unwritten rule to deal with grey market activities for instance) this is how the human trafficking flourished on fishing boats..

at least the money isn't being channelled to one group only (red shirts)- allowing them to buy votes at the election - 

On 11/30/2017 at 11:26 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

Nothing wrong with the country itself mate. :wink: 

Yeah, but unfortunately it is quite illegal to wipe every person living in the country off the face of the earth to enjoy the country with which is nothing wrong.

Genocide or something they call it.

It's a bloody feeding frenzy yeah!

However having said that back in Perth WA you cant go out for a steak and a beer for under AUD 50 because of all the legal govt taxes fees etc, very hard to keep a small business afloat.

Same around the globe i imagine.

Archived