Daily Mail executive killed in Bangkok

webfact

Daily Mail executive killed in Bangkok

ll.jpg

Manuela Ruiz/Linkedin

A Colombian woman was killed instantly after being hit by a car while crossing a street in Bangkok on November 25th.

Manuela Ruiz, 31, who lived in New York, worked for the DailyMail.com and had been travelling in Thailand with her friend during Thanksgiving.

The Daily Mail reports how Manuela’s family, described as devout Christians, have already forgiven the 24 year old driver.

There are few details about the incident but speaking to the Daily Mail, Manuela’s sister Daniela said:

“We didn't want to press charges because we know that it's an accident.

“There was no alcohol involved, she's just 24 and a student. But by local law, she's going to jail.”

“She was very sad,' Daniela said added. 'She went to the police station, met my aunt and she asked for the forgiveness of the family.

“We spoke with her on the phone and we said, "We know it was an accident and we forgive you.

“It's a tragedy for all of us, including her.”

Manuela’s distraught family said the accident “could have happened anywhere.”

“It was her time,” they said.

The Daily Mail reports that accident took place on the morning of November 25th. After taking cash out of an ATM was hit by a car while crossing the street and killed instantly.

The female driver of the car is reportedly a student at Rangsit University and was identified by the Daily Mail as Ying Treenapongnukul.

Ms Treenapongnukul reportedly asked for forgiveness in a post made on Facebook.

“I ask to forgiveness for her.

“Sorry for on that day and so sorry for everything . #RIP Miss. Manuela Ruiz Carvajal”.

Manuela was described as “talented” and “smart”.

DailyMail.com Publisher Martin Clarke said: “Everyone was extremely fond of Manuela who in her time here made a huge contribution to the business.

“She was hard-working and talented and I have no doubt that she had a very exciting career ahead of her.”

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-30

An off-topic post has been removed.

I must admit I was expecting to read about an organised hit, what with the Daily Mail being blocked here and all that.

Very sad that a young lady died whilst on holiday here, it happens way too often. RIP.

so an unaware tourist that is used to cars driving on the opposite side of the road, steps in front of a car and unavoidably gets hit.

The driver goes to jail for the pedestrian's mistake???

Destroy a 24 year old student's life, miss school, miss graduation, how does this even make sense?

2 minutes ago, gr8fldanielle said:

so an unaware tourist that is used to cars driving on the opposite side of the road, steps in front of a car and unavoidably gets hit.

The driver goes to jail for the pedestrian's mistake???

Destroy a 24 year old student's life, miss school, miss graduation, how does this even make sense?

Umm maybe I missed something but where in the article does it say the tourist was unaware of the car direction and it was entirely her mistake? It’s an accident but sheesh talk about victim blaming here!

in colombia you must look left, right, up and down before crossing any road, same style as in thailand because drivers have little respect for pedestrians but colombian drivers are much more aware as opposed to thai's.  not infrequently the equation is . sabai sabai + mai pen rai driving = accidents    not say it happened in this particular case

19 minutes ago, atyclb said:

in colombia you must look left, right, up and down before crossing any road, same style as in thailand because drivers have little respect for pedestrians but colombian drivers are much more aware as opposed to thai's.  not infrequently the equation is . sabai sabai + mai pen rai driving = accidents    not say it happened in this particular case

Sorry, but in Thailand, you should look right, left, then right again.

Most of the country drives on the LEFT.

4 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Umm maybe I missed something but where in the article does it say the tourist was unaware of the car direction and it was entirely her mistake? It’s an accident but sheesh talk about victim blaming here!

Sheesh! are missing the big picture here? Here is the big picture, the rest is hypothetical which is irrelevant.

“There was no alcohol involved, she's just 24 and a student. But by local law, she's going to jail.”

one more time But by local law, she's going to jail

It seems to me that regardless of the circumstances, if you hit somebody and they die, you go to jail.

Ummm, what don't you get here?

Absolute stupidity. Why bring political opinions into this sad event.
Shows everything that is wrong in UK thinking today.

That's a bit unfair on the UK. I think it just shows he's an idiot who is trolling for effect. But definitely in poor taste considering the topic of this sad thread.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Jonnapat said:

Absolute stupidity. Why bring political opinions into this sad event.

Shows everything that is wrong in UK thinking today.

Sounds like a real nice family as they forgive instantly at a time of great pain. Yet we all know these are the worst drivers on the worst roads in the world.

Shows everything that is wrong in UK thinking today

Unlike here where over 25.000 die a year on the roads and teachers are allowed to beat the hell out of children

No wonder the place is hell on earth with that thinking.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

I must admit I was expecting to read about an organised hit, what with the Daily Mail being blocked here and all that.

Yep, the hallmark of sensationalism...

The story hardly would have run as Columbian tourist killed in traffic accident while crossing road in Bangkok. Sadly  we don't even learn what street or junction this awful accident happened. Did any of the local journalists report on this?

4 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

Sheesh! are missing the big picture here? Here is the big picture, the rest is hypothetical which is irrelevant.

one more time But by local law, she's going to jail

It seems to me that regardless of the circumstances, if you hit somebody and they die, you go to jail.

Ummm, what don't you get here?

Someone died, someone has to pay. The law is the law. I doubt she will go to jail though.

Whatever the case, I just find it offensive you put the blame on the DEAD victim by assuming the victim was looking the wrong way when hit. Frankly, that’s the most idiotic thing I ever heard.

I remember when I was at university reading in the local paper that two American girls were killed when they stepped out directly in front of a bus. Happened right next door to the uni I was at so I assumed they were also students. Unfortunately we also drive on the left here in Australia, same as Thailand but obviously the opposite of America. 

15 hours ago, masuk said:

Sorry, but in Thailand, you should look right, left, then right again.

Most of the country drives on the LEFT.

I'm glad that you said "most" - in my neck of the woods here in Issan it's mainly in the middle, sometimes on the right, and every now and then on the LEFT!

It doesn't sound like the case here but here in New York people blindly step into crosswalks and expect traffic to come to a screeching halt. I swear they are challenging the drivers. They don't even look. My Thai wife often says if they continue that habit when visiting Thailand their life expectancy will be measured in days. She also laughs at the militant bicyclists here who ride down the center line to force 75 MPH 18-wheelers to "share the road." The only thing they'll "share" doing that in Thailand is their innards flapping around the axles of the multitude of trucks who mow them down. I've been lucky in Thailand so far but I had a couple close calls in the UK a few years back after forgetting to "look right."

9 hours ago, Maestro said:

I believe only dailymail.co.uk is blocked in Thailand, not the US daily mail.com

Install VPN on your computer or device to get around the blocking. VPN will search for a US IP address. HOTSPOT SHIELD works well. VPN also adds to the security of your connection, especially when using WI-FI.

9 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Someone died, someone has to pay. The law is the law. I doubt she will go to jail though.

Whatever the case, I just find it offensive you put the blame on the DEAD victim by assuming the victim was looking the wrong way when hit. Frankly, that’s the most idiotic thing I ever heard.

you still don't understand hypothetical nor can you even fathom I didn't blame anyone, an accident is an accident. You're finding it offensive that a DEAD victim cannot be blamed is frankly, the idiotic thing I've ever heard.

You seem to think that regardless of circumstance, if someone dies, someone goes to jail, but you state "I doubt she will go to jail though." which is it? The law is the law but you believe in selective prosecution. Where is the "law is the law" in that?

2 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

you still don't understand hypothetical nor can you even fathom I didn't blame anyone, an accident is an accident. You're finding it offensive that a DEAD victim cannot be blamed is frankly, the idiotic thing I've ever heard.

You seem to think that regardless of circumstance, if someone dies, someone goes to jail, but you state "I doubt she will go to jail though." which is it? The law is the law but you believe in selective prosecution. Where is the "law is the law" in that?

Well excuse my bad reading skills. Or maybe I should excuse your bad writing?

The way I read it was that you were blaming the tourist for looking the wrong way. While possible, there was no proof it happened. Reading the article, no one really knows how it went down. Except you. Oh wait, it was ‘hypothetical’!

How long have you been here? You should know that while there are laws, a lot of the time the law doesn’t apply. All you need is a wai and an apology and perhaps some compensation and then all is forgiven. You’re just one of those people who wants to feel offended about something but just ignore or fail to see the reality of the situation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 10:15 PM, Maestro said:

I believe only dailymail.co.uk is blocked in Thailand, not the US daily mail.com

I read it online every day............................mainly to see what rubbish they are reporting!

Archived