No blue book for old car, can still put on road?

bamboozled

This has probably been covered but search is not turning it up. So, I have spied an old truck sitting in the weeds that I quite fancy and thought I might approach the owners about taking it off their hands. It suddenly occurred to me that there is most likely no title any longer (am I correct in calling that a "blue book?") judging from the age and condition of the truck and where it is. I just can't imagine the title exists. Is it possible to get a car on the road with no original title? Is there a legal way to get a car/truck like this on the road? 

Thanks!

23 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Great! I've read multiple times in the forums about motorcycles and green books and the posters seems to suggest that without a green book a motorbike is almost worthless, as if a new one cannot be had. Glad to get this info. Thank you.

Because it is exactly true! Without a Green or Blue book you cannot tax a vehicle, if you cannot tax it, then it cannot be used legally on the road. That makes the vehicles almost useless (more so in when it comes to bikes - Thailand used to have a 200CC maximum limit for bikes a few years back, people tried to get around it with all sorts of rubbish using invoices etc. Cops generally turned a blind eye or were bought with a little tea money) These days bigger bikes are now legal here and the costs involved in getting a green book for a bike that HAS NEVER HAD one is crazy - There is a massive difference in buying a vehicle with a missing Blue or Green book to buying a vehicle that has been used or imported on invoice and has NEVER HAD a green book.

On 11/30/2017 at 1:29 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yep as steve said. :thumbsup:

I went to the local DLT regarding an old motorcycle without a book ( we are in Chiang Mai Province) and was told it couldn’t be done.

As with everything here though it may vary from office to office and may be possible with a suitably sized brown envelope, which was something I didn’t try.

My understanding is that back taxes definitely have to be paid all the way back to when the vehicle was last on the road legally. So bear in mind that a derelict vehicle may not have been registered for a very long time, so you could find yourself paying out for 10 years or maybe much more back tax. So aside from the blue book, it's important to know how many years it is since he vehicle was last registered & tax paid, then do the calculation.

i think that once a car has been off the road a number of years, the vehicle would have to be tested and a new book issued, that being only possible if the last named owners can be found. there was a thread on here where a member had taken his own car off the road for some years,  to do a rebuild and that is what he posted

3 hours ago, steve187 said:

i think that once a car has been off the road a number of years, the vehicle would have to be tested and a new book issued, that being only possible if the last named owners can be found. there was a thread on here where a member had taken his own car off the road for some years,  to do a rebuild and that is what he posted

All missing years of tax have to be paid and there is percentage for late tax on top. If the engine is not original you will need all the details of the doner vehicle and a receipt showing vat etc.

Some areas may even ask to see the original engine as well.

My mate has cars going back to the 40's, and if he wanted to put them legally on the road it would scare you how much has to be paid on each one.

If the one you're looking at is a rare model and if you are planning to go back to UK then you might, repeat might be able to ship it back if you can prove ownership for two or three years in Thailand. 80,000 to 100,000 baht for an insured container and no taxes on arrival in UK.

Sorry I can't throw sunshine on your idea.

32 minutes ago, overherebc said:

All missing years of tax have to be paid and there is percentage for late tax on top. If the engine is not original you will need all the details of the doner vehicle and a receipt showing vat etc.

Some areas may even ask to see the original engine as well.

My mate has cars going back to the 40's, and if he wanted to put them legally on the road it would scare you how much has to be paid on each one.

If the one you're looking at is a rare model and if you are planning to go back to UK then you might, repeat might be able to ship it back if you can prove ownership for two or three years in Thailand. 80,000 to 100,000 baht for an insured container and no taxes on arrival in UK.

Sorry I can't throw sunshine on your idea.

good post with lots of good, maybe information, but everything after the first line has nothing to do with the opening post ie engine change and exporting

15 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I went to the local DLT regarding an old motorcycle without a book ( we are in Chiang Mai Province) and was told it couldn’t be done.

As with everything here though it may vary from office to office and may be possible with a suitably sized brown envelope, which was something I didn’t try.

Did you have a police statement?

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

good post with lots of good, maybe information, but everything after the first line has nothing to do with the opening post ie engine change and exporting

Just pointing out the possibility that at some time the engine may have been changed, quite usual in older vehicles and can throw another spanner in the registration works. After rebuilding the car and going for test they check chassis and engine numbers against any original records that can be found. If they don't match original then it brings up another problem.

The point about exporting to UK is just to say it's a possibility. Taking a car to UK from here is a lot less trouble than bringing one from there to here. 

Edit.

A friend has just obtained a beautiful Vincent Black Shadow, no book, no papers etc. As he is not here for the long haul it will be carefully looked after and go home with him and be passed on to his son.

A very rare car can be treated the same way.

29 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Geez.... Sure does sound like a hassle! So, if I by chance lose the green book to my motorbike I'm <deleted> out of luck? That's a crying shame.

Keep a copy somewhere and if you lose the original do a police report etc and shouldn't be too much hassle. I think. ??

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

There you go. They were correct without police statement.

No they were asked was there anyway it could could it be done and they were quite emphatic including the person in charge they have always been helpful in the past

As I stated in my original post as occurs with other government departments it probably varies from province to province

I didn’t have any documentation as I was making an enquiry as to what the procedure would be if I bought an old motorbike in other words “ hypothetical”

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

No they were asked was there anyway it could could it be done and they were quite emphatic including the person in charge they have always been helpful in the past

As I stated in my original post as occurs with other government departments it probably varies from province to province

I didn’t have any documentation as I was making an enquiry as to what the procedure would be if I bought an old motorbike in other words “ hypothetical”

I think you just received incorrect information, even from your provincial office.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I think you just received incorrect information, even from your provincial office.

That may well be and if I went back tomorrow it could be different but it doesn’t matter as It was only a hypothetical situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my bike that's not been taxed over 3 years and they say it is no longer on their system, when I went to pay for all the back taxes I had to surrender the numberplate, and the green book was given back to me stamped to the effect of 'not on road/roadworthy' and I think that is the only thing if I want to re-register it, if I were to lose the green book, there would be nolonger any record of the bike in their system, maybe there'll be a paper record of the VIN and previous registration somewhere, but good luck trying to get the jobsworth to dig it up for you 

13 hours ago, digbeth said:

I've had my bike that's not been taxed over 3 years and they say it is no longer on their system, when I went to pay for all the back taxes I had to surrender the numberplate, and the green book was given back to me stamped to the effect of 'not on road/roadworthy' and I think that is the only thing if I want to re-register it, if I were to lose the green book, there would be nolonger any record of the bike in their system, maybe there'll be a paper record of the VIN and previous registration somewhere, but good luck trying to get the jobsworth to dig it up for you 

So all you have to do is reregister?

Archived