BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Flow

Door Alarm

Hi

On 3 occasions, I had uninvited guests in my yard trying to break into my house. The third time they came with what looked like machetes. One of my neighbors who had a gun helped out by shooting at the men from her balcony (true) as I barricaded myself indoors yelling at the men. She missed unfortunately. I live in a fully detached house in Bangkok. Any door or window alarms I can buy somewhere in Bangkok. Something a bit decent quality 1000 Baht or 2000 Baht?

Thanks

in the thaivisa store there is a wireless alarm with a telephone dialler for $500 - buying yourself a gun might be a cheaper option (and you would be able to protect your neighbour as well)

in the thaivisa store there is a wireless alarm with a telephone dialler for $500 - buying yourself a gun might be a cheaper option (and you would be able to protect your neighbour as well)

Not cheaper, but probably a lot more efficient. Who is going to react to the sound of an alarm in the night? Probably noone. A properly licensed handgun (nothing fancy, the stuff that would be $500 in the US) will be anywhere between B70k-B110k. Import quotas lower than the demand leads to inflated prices.

Hi

On 3 occasions, I had uninvited guests in my yard trying to break into my house. The third time they came with what looked like machetes. One of my neighbors who had a gun helped out by shooting at the men from her balcony (true) as I barricaded myself indoors yelling at the men. She missed unfortunately. I live in a fully detached house in Bangkok. Any door or window alarms I can buy somewhere in Bangkok. Something a bit decent quality 1000 Baht or 2000 Baht?

Thanks

I would strongly advise moving into a safer area.

That sounds to me that somebody there is trying to break into the house occupied by the farang. In the mid 90's i had a similar problem once, and decided in the end that a move was a better idea than taking up the offers for guns from the neighbors.

Police was no use.

Getting a gun permit for a foreigner is very difficult, and shooting at burglers will most of the time be considered as excessive force (even if they carry machetes), and might easily earn you a long jail sentence (this is not the US here - different laws).

Many Thais have for such cases two guns - one legal gun the shoot the burgler with, and an illegal gun to plant on the corpse. And with constantly improved forensics this is not as safe as it once was.

Considering all that - moving is a safer option.

Many Thais have for such cases two guns - one legal gun the shoot the burgler with, and an illegal gun to plant on the corpse. And with constantly improved forensics this is not as safe as it once was.

:o I like that!

The police folks who were running our gun safety course at the Hua Mark shooting range said planting a knife would be more than sufficient. The intruder has to be on your property though. Actually in your house would likely be open/shut case.

:o

I agree with moving... It sounds like someone wants your stuff to have had 3 attempts.

Do you really want to have to shoot someone. The move sounds like the best option and your neighbourhood doesn't sound all that great anyway.

Not cheaper, but probably a lot more efficient. Who is going to react to the sound of an alarm in the night? Probably noone. A properly licensed handgun (nothing fancy, the stuff that would be $500 in the US) will be anywhere between B70k-B110k. Import quotas lower than the demand leads to inflated prices.

How can a farang get a licienced handgun?

Anybody know what the process is for getting a gun permit?

You need to be a Thai citizen or foreigner with a PR. Next, you need to have a reason to have a gun (e.g. protect your house, family and dog). You can then apply at the amphur to get a permit to buy a gun. The amphur will also need a document from the police that they think you are a good, trustworthy, stable person who deserves to have a gun.

Once you have the "buying permit" to buy you can go shopping. Wang Burapha in BKK is the place to go. You have six months before the permit to buy expires - if you let it expire without buying then you will have a hard time getting a new one. If you on the other hand already have a gun and want to buy a second one it is easy to get a new permit. In other words, don't apply for a permit to buy a gun if you are not sure that you are going to buy one.

The buying permit specifies caliber and number of rounds in mag/chambers of the weapon you are allowed to buy (e.g. cal .38 with 6 chambers), but should you change your mind that can be altered by the amphur after it has been issued. Once you buy a gun, the gun shop will keep your "license to buy" and pass it along with some other documentation to the amphur. A few weeks or a month later the amphur will issue your license (ป.๔).

Another thing you can do is get a "red box". This is a small red metallic box that you can see everywhere in BKK. You pay the police a couple of thosand baht per month, plus a couple of bottles of whisky per year to have it and they will then add a stop at your red box to their regular neighborhood inspection routes. Inside the box they will keep a form where they have to sign off that they stopped at your box.

If the problem is acute you can also discuss with them the cost for having a policeman stationed at / in front of your house for a while. On- or off duty. As long as you pay.

If you're in Bangkok, it's the Police CSD (Crime Suppression Division, near the old Dan Neramit theme park on Phaholyothin) that issues them. As I recall, the por 3 is the license to buy. The por 4 is what you keep with your firearm. I don't recall the amphur being involved at all. The por 4 is permanent and doesn't require any renewal or additional fees.

It USED to be easy to obtain the second firearm license. There is an extreme shortage in both firearms and licenses nowadays as the 3 southern provinces have consumed most of them for the past several years. As a price reference: I have a Glock 19 and Glock 26. Both were 43,000 Baht each from Thai National Rifle across from the Old Siam shopping center when that was around $1,050. I have the same two pieces in Texas that were $480 and $519 purchased a few years before that. Current price in Wang Burapha for the same pieces is around 70,000 Baht.

:o

Hey, Flow. Hope you are OK.

Frankly, the best two-in-one alarm and attack system is a BIG dog. Bark for alarm, bite for attack.