Door Alarm

Flow

Hi

On 3 occasions, I had uninvited guests in my yard trying to break into my house. The third time they came with what looked like machetes. One of my neighbors who had a gun helped out by shooting at the men from her balcony (true) as I barricaded myself indoors yelling at the men. She missed unfortunately. I live in a fully detached house in Bangkok. Any door or window alarms I can buy somewhere in Bangkok. Something a bit decent quality 1000 Baht or 2000 Baht?

Thanks

in the thaivisa store there is a wireless alarm with a telephone dialler for $500 - buying yourself a gun might be a cheaper option (and you would be able to protect your neighbour as well)

Not cheaper, but probably a lot more efficient. Who is going to react to the sound of an alarm in the night? Probably noone. A properly licensed handgun (nothing fancy, the stuff that would be $500 in the US) will be anywhere between B70k-B110k. Import quotas lower than the demand leads to inflated prices.

Hi

On 3 occasions, I had uninvited guests in my yard trying to break into my house. The third time they came with what looked like machetes. One of my neighbors who had a gun helped out by shooting at the men from her balcony (true) as I barricaded myself indoors yelling at the men. She missed unfortunately. I live in a fully detached house in Bangkok. Any door or window alarms I can buy somewhere in Bangkok. Something a bit decent quality 1000 Baht or 2000 Baht?

Thanks

I would strongly advise moving into a safer area.

That sounds to me that somebody there is trying to break into the house occupied by the farang. In the mid 90's i had a similar problem once, and decided in the end that a move was a better idea than taking up the offers for guns from the neighbors.

Police was no use.

Getting a gun permit for a foreigner is very difficult, and shooting at burglers will most of the time be considered as excessive force (even if they carry machetes), and might easily earn you a long jail sentence (this is not the US here - different laws).

Many Thais have for such cases two guns - one legal gun the shoot the burgler with, and an illegal gun to plant on the corpse. And with constantly improved forensics this is not as safe as it once was.

Considering all that - moving is a safer option.

The police folks who were running our gun safety course at the Hua Mark shooting range said planting a knife would be more than sufficient. The intruder has to be on your property though. Actually in your house would likely be open/shut case.

:o

in the thaivisa store there is a wireless alarm with a telephone dialler for $500 - buying yourself a gun might be a cheaper option (and you would be able to protect your neighbour as well)

Not cheaper, but probably a lot more efficient. Who is going to react to the sound of an alarm in the night? Probably noone. A properly licensed handgun (nothing fancy, the stuff that would be $500 in the US) will be anywhere between B70k-B110k. Import quotas lower than the demand leads to inflated prices.

How can a farang get a licienced handgun?

Anybody know what the process is for getting a gun permit?

You need to be a Thai citizen or foreigner with a PR. Next, you need to have a reason to have a gun (e.g. protect your house, family and dog). You can then apply at the amphur to get a permit to buy a gun. The amphur will also need a document from the police that they think you are a good, trustworthy, stable person who deserves to have a gun.

Once you have the "buying permit" to buy you can go shopping. Wang Burapha in BKK is the place to go. You have six months before the permit to buy expires - if you let it expire without buying then you will have a hard time getting a new one. If you on the other hand already have a gun and want to buy a second one it is easy to get a new permit. In other words, don't apply for a permit to buy a gun if you are not sure that you are going to buy one.

The buying permit specifies caliber and number of rounds in mag/chambers of the weapon you are allowed to buy (e.g. cal .38 with 6 chambers), but should you change your mind that can be altered by the amphur after it has been issued. Once you buy a gun, the gun shop will keep your "license to buy" and pass it along with some other documentation to the amphur. A few weeks or a month later the amphur will issue your license (ป.๔).

Another thing you can do is get a "red box". This is a small red metallic box that you can see everywhere in BKK. You pay the police a couple of thosand baht per month, plus a couple of bottles of whisky per year to have it and they will then add a stop at your red box to their regular neighborhood inspection routes. Inside the box they will keep a form where they have to sign off that they stopped at your box.

If the problem is acute you can also discuss with them the cost for having a policeman stationed at / in front of your house for a while. On- or off duty. As long as you pay.

If you're in Bangkok, it's the Police CSD (Crime Suppression Division, near the old Dan Neramit theme park on Phaholyothin) that issues them. As I recall, the por 3 is the license to buy. The por 4 is what you keep with your firearm. I don't recall the amphur being involved at all. The por 4 is permanent and doesn't require any renewal or additional fees.

It USED to be easy to obtain the second firearm license. There is an extreme shortage in both firearms and licenses nowadays as the 3 southern provinces have consumed most of them for the past several years. As a price reference: I have a Glock 19 and Glock 26. Both were 43,000 Baht each from Thai National Rifle across from the Old Siam shopping center when that was around $1,050. I have the same two pieces in Texas that were $480 and $519 purchased a few years before that. Current price in Wang Burapha for the same pieces is around 70,000 Baht.

If you're in Bangkok, it's the Police CSD (Crime Suppression Division, near the old Dan Neramit theme park on Phaholyothin) that issues them. As I recall, the por 3 is the license to buy. The por 4 is what you keep with your firearm. I don't recall the amphur being involved at all. The por 4 is permanent and doesn't require any renewal or additional fees.

Outside BKK it is the amphur, I guess different rules applies in the city than outside.

It USED to be easy to obtain the second firearm license. There is an extreme shortage in both firearms and licenses nowadays as the 3 southern provinces have consumed most of them for the past several years. As a price reference: I have a Glock 19 and Glock 26. Both were 43,000 Baht each from Thai National Rifle across from the Old Siam shopping center when that was around $1,050. I have the same two pieces in Texas that were $480 and $519 purchased a few years before that. Current price in Wang Burapha for the same pieces is around 70,000 Baht.

I thought there were a fixed number of licenses per province, i.e. one province can be short on licenses while another one has plenty? But I may be wrong...

Anyway, the supply is obviously far below the demand leading to extreme prices and a limited number of brands/models available. I noticed that short barreled revolvers are even more overpriced than semi-auto pistols.

I was told that the composite guns do not like the climate here. Not sure if that was sales talk or reality..?

Edited by lingling

Never mind thinking about shoot-outs and running gun battles with locals; maybe moving away from these insects might be a much better and safer idea? You so much as "wing" a local with a firearm, and they will be back in force and make it their miserable life's work to get revenge on you.

A gun is okay for protection, and I enjoy going to the shooting ranges; but I couldn't buy 80k's worth of fireworks and not let them off. :o

My Grandad once told me; "never bring anything into a fight that you wouldn't want stuffed up your a*se" which was always a reminder of mine. :D

so, let me get this straight. The OP asks for advice regarding the purchase of an alarm system and people come back with guns and permits?

well done folks . well done.

btw the way i am interested in purchacing a home pregnancy test kit. any of you folks with the NRA happen to know of a good abortionist?

Edited by t.s

Outside BKK it is the amphur, I guess different rules applies in the city than outside.

I thought there were a fixed number of licenses per province, i.e. one province can be short on licenses while another one has plenty? But I may be wrong...

Anyway, the supply is obviously far below the demand leading to extreme prices and a limited number of brands/models available. I noticed that short barreled revolvers are even more overpriced than semi-auto pistols.

I was told that the composite guns do not like the climate here. Not sure if that was sales talk or reality..?

I'm no guru, but according to the gun shop clerk (Khun Jubjang at Thai National Rifle in Wang Burapha, in this case)... the licenses are issued at the local level but are limited in total number for the entire nation... as it's one por 4 license per firearm and the number of firearms allowed to be imported (per gun shop license) is also fixed.

As for composites not liking the local climate... sounds more like sales talk. Haven't had any problems with several thousand rounds fired per piece. The composite vs. non-composite folks have been arguing back and forth for 20+ years (since the advent of composites). On both sides...there are steel 1911's that are 70+ years old that still work, as for composites, there are Glocks that have been around for well... 20 years that still work. For most normal folks (non police, non military), we'll never use our pieces (composite or steel) with enough volume of firing to produce any real wear and tear on them, and with regular use and cleaning... they'll likely last longer than any other tool, appliance, automobile, etc. you'll ever own.

Thanks for the advice. A gun is not for me I am afraid.

Some asked where I lived. I live deep deep in a soi off Ekamai.

Other farangs live closeby as well as some very wealthy people. Neigbors in my area have had similar expereinces so I am not alone in that respect.

Back to my original question. Where can I buy a good quality door alarm???

Other farangs live closeby as well as some very wealthy people. Neigbors in my area have had similar expereinces so I am not alone in that respect.

Homepro. The problem is, noone will come to your aid because of a blaring siren. They will get pissed off at you for disturbing their sleep. If others in the area have the same problem maybe you can get together on the "red box" thing and pay the police to show up in your neighborhood a bit more often. They may even have a hint who the bad guys in the area are and for a fee they can maybe have a chat with them and let them know that your house is off limits.

Any construction going on nearby? That tends to increase burglaries etc.

My advice: get friendly with the police.

Steel bars and good locks is another thing you may want to take a look at. A home alarm is unfortunately just false security here...

Homepro. The problem is, noone will come to your aid because of a blaring siren. They will get pissed off at you for disturbing their sleep. If others in the area have the same problem maybe you can get together on the "red box" thing and pay the police to show up in your neighborhood a bit more often. They may even have a hint who the bad guys in the area are and for a fee they can maybe have a chat with them and let them know that your house is off limits.

Any construction going on nearby? That tends to increase burglaries etc.

My advice: get friendly with the police.

Steel bars and good locks is another thing you may want to take a look at. A home alarm is unfortunately just false security here...

i would say that that is not entirely true.

my personal experience is that burglars are essentially cowards and are deterred by motion detecting lights and loud sounds.

if the area is flooded with light and a howling alarm, the burglar will run. if they werren't cowards they would be robbing you in the street. the fact they sneak around at night means they do not want to be seen. Dogs are equally good, but can be poisoned or drugged. it is alot more difficult to throw a piece of drugged steak to a mothion detector.

i would say that that is not entirely true.

my personal experience is that burglars are essentially cowards and are deterred by motion detecting lights and loud sounds.

if the area is flooded with light and a howling alarm, the burglar will run. if they werren't cowards they would be robbing you in the street. the fact they sneak around at night means they do not want to be seen. Dogs are equally good, but can be poisoned or drugged. it is alot more difficult to throw a piece of drugged steak to a mothion detector.

Read the Thai language newspapers and you will find plenty of assaults, and almost always there are bystanders, neighbors or guards who pretend to not hear or see what is going on. There are plenty of lowlife on yaa baa who will do just about anything unimaginable for another fix.

Otherwise there would be a huge market for importing cheap chinese alarm systems.

The best alarm is one that will go off before the burglar enters your house. This could be simple magnetic switches mounted on all windows and doors. Can buy at HomePro, should only be around 100Bath a pice.

Less effective is motion detection alarms as the burglar have to enter before this alarm activates. If the burglar is already inside he may try to disable the alarm or get you to disable it. If the burglar is outside when it goes off it's more likely that he will just run and try another house.

The best alarm is one that will go off before the burglar enters your house. This could be simple magnetic switches mounted on all windows and doors. Can buy at HomePro, should only be around 100Bath a pice.

Less effective is motion detection alarms as the burglar have to enter before this alarm activates. If the burglar is already inside he may try to disable the alarm or get you to disable it. If the burglar is outside when it goes off it's more likely that he will just run and try another house.

I find that the motion sensor spot lights are great for outside. Not great if you have alot of pets. As soon as something moves in your front or back yard a spot light comes on. This is a deterent and does work. As soon as the burglar walks near the house, the spot light comes on. Off they run.

Works well. I am not sure where to buy them in Bangkok but I am guessing any major home place (homepro etc)

Less effective is motion detection alarms as the burglar have to enter before this alarm activates.

Not if you place it in a strategic location outside the house. I have a friend who has one setup to cover the entire yard area (it's setup high and out of reach). The sensitivity can be adjusted to not trigger on smaller objects (birds, cats, etc.). It's connected to large flood lamps that cover the whole area with an audible alarm inside the house (can be a high intensity alarm outside also). Just need care in managing it so as to not have false triggers. A video motion detector would be good, then you can just supply the video to the police for proof, expensive though.

A video motion detector would be good, then you can just supply the video to the police for proof, expensive though.

If you have a PC and a couple of webcams there's software that will do that for you. I bought one called 'Homewatcher' for $25 a few years ago but I think there are free alternatives out there. Good for collecting evidence, but not a very efficient deterrent.

so, let me get this straight. The OP asks for advice regarding the purchase of an alarm system and people come back with guns and permits?

well done folks . well done.

btw the way i am interested in purchacing a home pregnancy test kit. any of you folks with the NRA happen to know of a good abortionist?

And your contribution to this thread is...?

If you have a PC and a couple of webcams there's software that will do that for you. I bought one called 'Homewatcher' for $25 a few years ago but I think there are free alternatives out there. Good for collecting evidence, but not a very efficient deterrent.

I have similar software and can be set to upload to an Internet site. But yes, video alone is not sufficient (though if in plain site it may make the perps have 2nd thoughts)- need multi-level protection.