Door Alarm

Flow

Thanks for the advice. A gun is not for me I am afraid.

Some asked where I lived. I live deep deep in a soi off Ekamai.

Other farangs live closeby as well as some very wealthy people. Neigbors in my area have had similar expereinces so I am not alone in that respect.

Back to my original question. Where can I buy a good quality door alarm???

Any good pet shop.

post-35984-1168840296.jpg

Thanks for the advice. A gun is not for me I am afraid.

Some asked where I lived. I live deep deep in a soi off Ekamai.

Other farangs live closeby as well as some very wealthy people. Neigbors in my area have had similar expereinces so I am not alone in that respect.

Back to my original question. Where can I buy a good quality door alarm???

Those areas in Sukhumvit are well known for burglaries. Wealthy, and many farang as as well, and very little communal control such as in the more traditional neighborhoods. I have a friend who was burgled three days after he moved into that area.

I don't know where you can buy a good alarm, but one suggestion that came up here - the red box - is not very useful. Burglars obviously will check out the rotation of the police patrol before entering. Dogs are a better deterrent. I would still move though - there are far safer areas to live in Bangkok with an old style neighborhood community control. Which is the best deterrent.

Hi

On 3 occasions, I had uninvited guests in my yard trying to break into my house. The third time they came with what looked like machetes. One of my neighbors who had a gun helped out by shooting at the men from her balcony (true) as I barricaded myself indoors yelling at the men. She missed unfortunately. I live in a fully detached house in Bangkok. Any door or window alarms I can buy somewhere in Bangkok. Something a bit decent quality 1000 Baht or 2000 Baht?

Thanks

On 3 occasions you've had Thais coming to your house armed with machetes - and you're looking at spending max 2,000 baht on a burglar alarm? Am I the only one to think that sounds odd? At that level what can you possible have that have their interest? Are you sure you told the whole story?

A proper burglar alarm to cover a "normal" house with contacts on all doors and windows and a couple of PIR sensors, can be had from around 25,000 all incl. and installed.

Alternatively you can buy a dinky toy in Homepro for a couple of hundred bath that will set of a tone when triggered, only problem is, as soon as you close the window again it goes silent again. You'd be slightly better off with some floodlights and movement sensors, they'd not be much more expensive and probably a lot more effective, yet of course nothing like a proper burglar alarm.

The police folks who were running our gun safety course at the Hua Mark shooting range said planting a knife would be more than sufficient. The intruder has to be on your property though. Actually in your house would likely be open/shut case.

:o

That depends very much. I have come across a case where a houseowner has beaten up a burgler he surprised inside his house and was charged by the police as well with using excessive force.

Most of the time, as things are here, everything depends on your status and connections. What counts for you rarely counts for an unconnected foreigner, who also does not know his way around the police. Next problem is of course the relatives of the dead or injured burglar. Being just a foreigner without protective umbrella of a large clan or peer group as a deterrent it is never a good idea to do it the way Thais can play it.

Buy some plywood and have nails punched through it every 2 inches. Place the plywood near you fence or wall and as the burglars jump over the wall, they will be in for a surprise and pain.

That should keep them away :o

Buy some plywood and have nails punched through it every 2 inches. Place the plywood near you fence or wall and as the burglars jump over the wall, they will be in for a surprise and pain.

That should keep them away :o

...or a tiger trap.

DSC00004.JPG

Not sure you would get away with either of them.

so, let me get this straight. The OP asks for advice regarding the purchase of an alarm system and people come back with guns and permits?

well done folks . well done.

btw the way i am interested in purchacing a home pregnancy test kit. any of you folks with the NRA happen to know of a good abortionist?

And your contribution to this thread is...?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1082678

I don't know where you can buy a good alarm, but one suggestion that came up here - the red box - is not very useful. Burglars obviously will check out the rotation of the police patrol before entering. Dogs are a better deterrent. I would still move though - there are far safer areas to live in Bangkok with an old style neighborhood community control. Which is the best deterrent.

Beg to differ on the red box. The real point of the red box is that your house is under that cop's beat, and he will lose a lot of face if your house gets burgled under his watch. Cops here know the neighborhood, know the troublemakers, etc., and if somebody fcuks with them they will be in deep trouble. hel_l, some cops are undoubtedly behind burglary rings. Where we live it only costs 1000 Baht a month. We have a good relationship with the guy, and can go to him when/if problems crop up. So far money well spent...knock on wood.

Most well-to-do areas are gated with a guard box and security guard. Living on Sukhumvit, there's a good chance you have one. I am well aware they are very limited in their role. However, here are some questions.

Is the security contactable on the phone 24 hours a day?

Do you know the number?

Have you tried it and does it work?

Do the guards know who you are and how to get to your house?

How long does it take them to arrive?

In an emergency, they may be the fastest people to arrive.

Beg to differ on the red box. The real point of the red box is that your house is under that cop's beat, and he will lose a lot of face if your house gets burgled under his watch. Cops here know the neighborhood, know the troublemakers, etc., and if somebody fcuks with them they will be in deep trouble. hel_l, some cops are undoubtedly behind burglary rings. Where we live it only costs 1000 Baht a month. We have a good relationship with the guy, and can go to him when/if problems crop up. So far money well spent...knock on wood.

Cops know the trouble makers of the area, but there is very little chance that burglers from another area will ever be caught.

When real problems come up, a low ranked cop on the beat will be not much help, locally you should better know from rank sarawat and up to have a chance for getting proper assistence. And even then knowing some generals will persuade the police station cops to work harder on solving your problem.

Much better and swifter though if you are on friendly terms with the local parallel distributers of justice, and known to be. That way people will be reluctant to bother you in the first place, and will look for easier targets.

I was advised against a red box when i enquired. I was told by cops and other friends that it is a useless waste of money.

The police folks who were running our gun safety course at the Hua Mark shooting range said planting a knife would be more than sufficient. The intruder has to be on your property though. Actually in your house would likely be open/shut case.

Most of the time, as things are here, everything depends on your status and connections. What counts for you rarely counts for an unconnected foreigner, who also does not know his way around the police. Next problem is of course the relatives of the dead or injured burglar. Being just a foreigner without protective umbrella of a large clan or peer group as a deterrent it is never a good idea to do it the way Thais can play it.

True, I shouldn't have made it sound like a black and white "rule." It does depend on who you are / who you shoot / where / when / with what /,etc. I did also leave out the part where certain officers handed out business cards (not for strings or connections or anything like that.... as connections don't come that easy.... but more for general consultation) over the following weeks to about half of the class, and no as far as I know the 2 foreigners in the class didn't get to know these police folks.

Still, hypothetically speaking... if I were a foreigner, IF I had local middle class or above spouse fully able to communicate in Thai, I'd be comfortable using deadly force for self defense in the LOS inside my home.

:D

edit: another option, line of defense is monitored home security. Secom generally gets pretty good reviews all around. Customizable as well. If an alarm is tripped... you can have them call the police, call you, call trusted friends, etc., in addition to sending a patrol to your house to see what's up. If you don't feel like you are able or willing to confront intruders (perhaps smarter not to do so), you can always just barricade yourself and your family in one room of your home panic room style. No need for a huge investment... just make sure your bedroom door is real good hardwood or perhaps even steel core door with a deadbolt.

Edited by Heng

True, I shouldn't have made it sound like a black and white "rule." It does depend on who you are / who you shoot / where / when / with what /,etc. I did also leave out the part where certain officers handed out business cards (not for strings or connections or anything like that.... as connections don't come that easy.... but more for general consultation) over the following weeks to about half of the class, and no as far as I know the 2 foreigners in the class didn't get to know these police folks.

Still, hypothetically speaking... if I were a foreigner, IF I had local middle class or above spouse fully able to communicate in Thai, I'd be comfortable using deadly force for self defense in the LOS inside my home.

Yes, very true - connections don't come that easy - and there is always a price to pay.

Personally, getting back to the thread topic, i would seriously think of moving i had three attempts of burglary. The hypothetical case you talk about is something i would want to avoid if i can. I had a similar situation many years ago here. I was offered guns by the people of the village i lived in, and told that it would not be much of a problem if i shoot the blokes. I thought first getting some of our wifes brother to live with us as protection and deterrent, and then moving was the wiser option. It was just a rented house anyhow, not my personal property.

I was advised against a red box when i enquired. I was told by cops and other friends that it is a useless waste of money.

Five reasons why it is worth a try:

1. Fosters relationship with local 'beat' cop, never a bad thing.

2. Red box in our area costs 1000/mo., one of the cheapest security options suggested here so far.

3. Use of red box does not preclude taking other measures.

4. Does not involve taking any measures that might have severe consequences, like shooting someone or enlisting someone else to do the dirty work for you.

5. It just might work, and if not you are only out 1000 Baht/mo., not a princely sum.

YMMV

Edited by qualtrough

edit: another option, line of defense is monitored home security. Secom generally gets pretty good reviews all around. Customizable as well. If an alarm is tripped... you can have them call the police, call you, call trusted friends, etc., in addition to sending a patrol to your house to see what's up. If you don't feel like you are able or willing to confront intruders (perhaps smarter not to do so), you can always just barricade yourself and your family in one room of your home panic room style. No need for a huge investment... just make sure your bedroom door is real good hardwood or perhaps even steel core door with a deadbolt.

There are plenty of others, international as well who are more economical and offer better servcies than Secom. Secom generally rent you the system at daft high prices!!

There are plenty of others, international as well who are more economical and offer better servcies than Secom. Secom generally rent you the system at daft high prices!!

Of course. Everyone should shop around for the exact kind of service and price they are comfortable with.

Five reasons why it is worth a try:

1. Fosters relationship with local 'beat' cop, never a bad thing.

2. Red box in our area costs 1000/mo., one of the cheapest security options suggested here so far.

3. Use of red box does not preclude taking other measures.

4. Does not involve taking any measures that might have severe consequences, like shooting someone or enlisting someone else to do the dirty work for you.

5. It just might work, and if not you are only out 1000 Baht/mo., not a princely sum.

YMMV

Yeah, well, it's just a 1000 Baht, not so much.

But don't expect too much assistence from a low ranked cop on the beat if you get into trouble. Their influence does not reach exactly far, and is easily outweighted by someone who has fostered relationships with one of the local Sarawats, which isn't exactly high up the chain either.

Listen to Qualtrough above - sound advice that.

Cops won't be of much use unless the thief is seen by them red-handed!

But, seriously, machetes, that's too far. Move house, no property is worth dying for.

Also, just wanted to ask, do you recall making any enemies in Thailand?

best to move, you are in the wrong place

its very difficult for a flang to get a licensed gun, much easier for your wife.

In theory if an intruder comes over your wall and is armed wife a knife or worse then your wife has the right to shoot

If he is in your house, no contest, shoot him dead properly. If he lives you may get stuck for compensation

If involved in such a fracas, the flang must immediately vacate the scene, till the plod have gone. wife can take care of things

As a flang you really cant take the risk of having anyone see you using the gun

BTW, Phnom Phen is rife with such armed burglaries. Your appartment must be fortified like fort knox. If they get in and you are there, you must kill them before they kill you as they are always armed and desperate.

• 9 months later...

Gra"ndpa was wrong. You got a right to protect yourself or family. I think killing the bastards sends out a real good message. "Leave this guy alone!"

Never mind thinking about shoot-outs and running gun battles with locals; maybe moving away from these insects might be a much better and safer idea? You so much as "wing" a local with a firearm, and they will be back in force and make it their miserable life's work to get revenge on you.

A gun is okay for protection, and I enjoy going to the shooting ranges; but I couldn't buy 80k's worth of fireworks and not let them off. :o

My Grandad once told me; "never bring anything into a fight that you wouldn't want stuffed up your a*se" which was always a reminder of mine. :D

• 4 months later...
Hi

On 3 occasions, I had uninvited guests in my yard trying to break into my house. The third time they came with what looked like machetes. One of my neighbors who had a gun helped out by shooting at the men from her balcony (true) as I barricaded myself indoors yelling at the men. She missed unfortunately. I live in a fully detached house in Bangkok. Any door or window alarms I can buy somewhere in Bangkok. Something a bit decent quality 1000 Baht or 2000 Baht?

Thanks

Hi

I can get you the sort of alarm you are looking for, either for the whole house ie windows doors roof yard.and smoke alarm also wireless this version is about 20,000 Baht with Tel Dial system no wires all wireless. Or the simple version Infra red room sensor with inside Siren and Also outdoor siren Keypad and remote entry turn on turn off, for 3500 Baht.

My email //edit - e-mail removed as per forum rules//

Edited by Tywais

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Thanks

Wasp Security are the leading installers of electric security fences in Bangkok or in Thailand for that matter. www.wasp-security.com

They are not 1000 - 2000 baht as you requested but as any motorcyclist will tell you " If you think you have a $10 head; buy a $10 helmet."