Russian tourist in Pattaya dies after falling from condo balcony onto metal spikes

rooster59

Russian tourist in Pattaya dies after falling from condo balcony onto metal spikes

D88FF207-EB0C-4DBD-8188-604094A957BE(1).jpeg

A Russian man has died after falling from the balcony of his condo and landing on metal spikes.

The unnamed man reportedly returned to his room at 4am on Friday morning at a condo on Soi Thap Phraya in Nong Prue only to realise he had lost his key.

He then woke guests staying in a neighbouring room and asked them if he could climb across from their balcony to his room, TNews reported.

As he began to make the climb he slipped and fell on to some metal railings which had been put in place to try and stop people gaining access to rooms.

One of the man’s legs was impaled on the spikes and witnesses reported hearing him scream out in pain.

Rescue workers from Sawang Boromtham Foundation eventually managed to cut the man free and he was taken to Pattaya City Memorial Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.

Doctors said the man had lost a huge amount of blood and could not be saved.

Police are treating the death as an accident.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-02

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the rescue operation it looks that they did their best , but I could not see any doctor at the scene to stop the bleeding , they could also given the man painkillers  .

I suspect he could have lived longer if they tried to stop the bleeding.  RIP. 

2 hours ago, balo said:

After watching the rescue operation it looks that they did their best , but I could not see any doctor at the scene to stop the bleeding , they could also given the man painkillers  .

I suspect he could have lived longer if they tried to stop the bleeding.  RIP. 

Looking at the amount of Blood looks like a Femoral Artery was punctured, only had about 20Mins if that was the case!

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

too bad they could not get a tourniquet around his leg.

If he lost as much blood as the implied he probably damaged his femoral artery which gave him a very short window to survive.  Also, I don't know the details of the rescue but in the event you or someone you know is impaled or stabbed, leave the foreign object in place until he/she is at the hospital where doctors will remove it.  If it means cutting a chunk of the spiked fence away then do that and deliver the victim with the fence still embedded.  The violates most peoples instincts but could save a life.

14 minutes ago, csabo said:

If he lost as much blood as the implied he probably damaged his femoral artery which gave him a very short window to survive.  Also, I don't know the details of the rescue but in the event you or someone you know is impaled or stabbed, leave the foreign object in place until he/she is at the hospital where doctors will remove it.  If it means cutting a chunk of the spiked fence away then do that and deliver the victim with the fence still embedded.  The violates most peoples instincts but could save a life.

Yep, if you cut the femoral artery you are pretty much done for. I saw a video of a thief in Brazil that red kicking in a storefront window to gain access. His foot went right through it, but he shredded his artery and was dead within a few minutes. 

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

too bad they could not get a tourniquet around his leg.

RIP Russian man.

yeah.  This would frustrate me so much if I was in that situation.  To be stuck and just having to watch inefficiency, no first aid treatment, no crane or bucket being called.  Just stuck there watching the time tick away helplessly.   I still don't get why he didn't just go back down and get his key.  Sounds like he wasn't really the registered guest?  Or just drunk and too lazy to go back down. It was only 4 floors.  No elevator?

20 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Yep, if you cut the femoral artery you are pretty much done for. I saw a video of a thief in Brazil that red kicking in a storefront window to gain access. His foot went right through it, but he shredded his artery and was dead within a few minutes. 

Yes.  I recall that one too.  He bled out pretty quickly

38 minutes ago, csabo said:

Yep. Just got to move quick.  A tourniquett, or clamp if possible.  Then a simple hand held power tool with a cutting disk or a saws all and remove the spike.  Or even a hand held hacksaw can work with some effort.  The spikes may just be iron and not tough steel and can be hand sawed fairly quickly.  Any emergency responder should have that basic equipment.  But I know that is unlikely to be readily available in Thailand.  That bucket they used was probably a utility truck, and not an EMT type of fire rescue.  But again, some better emergency preparedness could have saved this guy. 

RIP

Makes me think more about finger print door locks. Seems a quick search shows they are readily available and something decent for around $300.

The condo I lived in Singapore had a 24 hour locksmith available. But security was also very good and only two apartments per floor so easy to hide a spare key.

Maybe this tragic incident will make us all think a bit should we find ourselves in the same situation. 

Remember the Soi Cowboy bar owner and well known local who had a similar death maybe a few years ago. Condolences to the family.

Someone mentioned "Don't they have a master key?" Answer, at least in my condo, is no. Each resident has whatever door lock and handle they want. I would not want someone to have a master key. They could call a locksmith, even at that hour. 4 am, probably not thinking too clearly

Yes one guy was saved a few years ago , he was stuck on a fence, they kept the object in him and rushed him to the hospital. But this was on the ground so it would have been an easier rescue operation. Maybe it was too late anyway for this Russian guy but you never know.

3 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

No mention of the word. What's your point?

I'm guessing at 4 am he came in drunk, woke all the neighbors up and fell. Only a complete idiot or a drunk would attempt this. Most people are probably tucked up in bed at this time - you certainly dont go banging on your neighours door at 4 am unless inebriated. 

Of course I could be wrong, but i'm sure toxicology will show alcohol involved - or some substance. 

Archived