Is tomorrow, 5 Dec, a big/holy holiday in CM?

chingmai331

47 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

The last King. Does it change with the new King's birthday?

My Thai wife does not know....Unknown.....

Mother's day might also be affected...

Possibly a change after the Royal Coronation ceremony?

Nobody seems to know right now....

Just now, Boycie said:

Wasn't July 28th this year, also an official holiday for King Rama X birthday?

Yes. I believe schools decided at the very last minute to close that day to observe the birthday. Nobody knew what was going on as the decision wasn't made until around 15:30 the day before. It was reported on the news as parents were confused.

Been told by Thai friend who owns a bar, that this will not be a holiday etc since the King has now passed away. Also, as of yet, there is no birthday holiday for the new king yet as he is still not officially the King. 

9 minutes ago, shackleton said:

According to the wife  the 5th December  is a holiday now

called Fathers Day

Mistranslated by your wife, It's officially the (old) Kings Birthday (aka dad), and an official holiday.

8 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

My calendar indicates some kind of event Tuesday; the notice all in Thai and colored pink.  Do i need to get to TOPS at KSK to buy me beer tonight?

Everyone is discussing the semantics of what the holiday is or is not called.  Does anyone know the answer to the question posed by the OP?

Is it a dry or wet day regarding alcohol sales?

My own unofficial research indicates that by choice many bars are closing out of respect but there  is no Police Ban, i.e. 7/11's etc will still be selling.

Been told by Thai friend who owns a bar, that this will not be a holiday etc since the King has now passed away. Also, as of yet, there is no birthday holiday for the new king yet as he is still not officially the King. 

Your Thai friend is not very well informed. 5th December will remain a holiday as it will be the late King's Memorial Day and Father's Day. The King's birthday on 28 July will also be a holiday, as will the day of the late King's death (13 October).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived