“Sneaky” Swiss thieves set to spend Christmas in Thai jail after airport theft

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

While I agree you have to be an idiot to walk off and leave any device behind you, I’m not sure you can gaol someone for being stupid. 

For one thing the gaols would be flooded with the guilty. They are overcrowded as it is...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we lived in a society where we could leave valuables unattended?

They deserve time in jail.

They are from one of the wealthiest country's in the world and steal at a developing nation's airport? If they were third world kids who are starving and stole food for survival I'd give them a pass ... but not these two idiots. Throw them in jail.

5 minutes ago, malcoml said:

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we lived in a society where we could leave valuables unattended?

They deserve time in jail.

Leaving anything unattended in an airport these days is extremely foolish. Worst case scenario is airport closure till said item is neutralised.

I don't advocate jailtime for the notebook owner but a severe censure from the police would be good.

3 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Special thanks to these idiots! Thais do seem to think that we are all a bunch of thieves. 

Just recently, when I sat at the local hospital waiting for my OPD card when a woman in front of me all in a sudden grabbed her bag and put it on her lap, right after she saw me sitting behind her.

It didn't make me feel good and it's only because of some trashy foreigners who give all of us a bad name. 

If anyone thinks I am a thief because some other westerners stole some stuff, then I would think they are ignorant for generalizing. 

Kind of like how some posters on here think all Thais behave the same way :) 

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

If anyone thinks I am a thief because some other westerners stole some stuff, then I would think they are ignorant for generalizing. 

I'm a Farang and some of them had done bag snatching, mostly at airports. Of course, does the ordinary folk believe that we are "same same".

I don't think that the village lady was ignorant. If a bunch of Thais would steal stuff from people in a more civilized country, wouldn't we have a similar reaction? And protecting our goods can't be ignorant, don't you think so?

It is one of the good things about this country, petty theft is rare outside tourist areas..ive left keys in mocy overnight in public places, left backpacks at restaurants ir bars and gone back 60 mins later to find it still there and i ciuld go on an on...

....now how is one called sneaky when every corner of every airport is now under vid serviellence and you steal something on the way in???

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

and they are worried about christmas ?! being arrested for theft in a foreign country currently in the spell of ultra conservatism is not trivial

A valid worry, they want to celebrate the birthday of the saviour, the one mentioned in the book where it say's 'Thou shalt not steal', ooops

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

police arrested them when they tried to board a plane home on November 24th after being recognised by airport security staff.

How come staff, security, etc. seldom, if ever, recognise Thai thieves, con artists, scammers, etc. when tourists are the victims of crime here? Strange that... 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The jails are filled with poor people. Those who can't afford bail and couldn't afford to buy the cops off. Rich guilty as we have all seen, don't go to jail. The population of Nong Plalai outside Pattaya is 60% unconvicted on remand, so technically it isn't flooded with proven guilty.

This is just so damn universally true that it is not funny.

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

While I agree you have to be an idiot to walk off and leave any device behind you, I’m not sure you can gaol someone for being stupid. 

For one thing the gaols would be flooded with the guilty. They are overcrowded as it is...

I think  everyone has done that at least once in their lives.  I know I have... I saw a group of Koreans walk off and then I noticed an expensive  camera  they left behind. .  I picked it up and waited .. 2 minutes later a guy came running back for it.  He was so gratefull.. also a couple waiting for the movies got up and left a cell phone  on the seat.. I walked over and told them..   a little good will goes a long way..   great work by the security.. WELL DONE.. 

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

Plenty THAIS steal  too.. !!! 

She just being carefull so don't go getting your knickers in a twist because of that...

An Indian stole many TV's...here, Swiss nationals steal a laptop and it will carry on.

The lesson of this story could also be a lesson for the future to the few regular sour bashers around....dishonesty is universal and not related to a specific nationality.

Another consequence could arise on the short term -  the Thaïs may tend put all farangs in the same basket, as dishonest.

7 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

The couple will get to avoid all the snow and yodelling of Switzerland for at least another 5 weeks.  While they might not get much of a tan, I'm sure they will lose a little weight while guests of the Thai government.  Nice Catch Swampy security

If he bends over to pick up the soap he might do some involuntary yodeling

In today's world - entrapment. That old story - if by killing someone totally unrelated to you could receive some substantial benefit with no risk ... would you do it? Some old Twilight Zone episode I think. Of course they miscalculated, but the thinking is clear.

8 hours ago, JoePai said:

The Thai owner should also be jailed for being so stupid

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yeah! sorry about that, but the vast majority of "guilty" in Thai prisons either pleaded guilty to get a lesser sentence, or were found guilty as they couldn't afford a lawyer. If you don't have money and a lawyer, you cannot fight a charge with a realistic chance of being found not guilty. It reinforces my first point that the prisons are full of poor people, who are not necessarily actually guilty of the charges. The judicial system here is unnaturally harsh and allows those with money to walk away, while penalizing the poor.

Can you please list the countries where the poor are not penalized in the legal system and the rich do not have an unfair advantage?

Archived