“Sneaky” Swiss thieves set to spend Christmas in Thai jail after airport theft

Jonathan Fairfield

Early on this year I was at the airport waiting for my flight on Qantas. I had gone down to the ground floor to the smoke room, walked down the passage way same as the place they pinched the laptop. It was empty and on a seat was a laptop bag with what looked like a new Apple lap top. I picked it up and took it to the airport information desk and gave it in. I got a receipt and hoped it would be announced and claimed by the owner. Nice piece of equipment but I thought how sorry I would have been to loose mine. I felt really good I found it because not many people would have given it in. Hope these <deleted> get a few years free holiday in  the pleasant accomodation.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, shaurene said:

Early on this year I was at the airport waiting for my flight on Qantas. I had gone down to the ground floor to the smoke room, walked down the passage way same as the place they pinched the laptop. It was empty and on a seat was a laptop bag with what looked like a new Apple lap top. I picked it up and took it to the airport information desk and gave it in. I got a receipt and hoped it would be announced and claimed by the owner. Nice piece of equipment but I thought how sorry I would have been to loose mine. I felt really good I found it because not many people would have given it in. Hope these <deleted> get a few years free holiday in  the pleasant accomodation.

Interesting- same location.

Any chance this is a weird scam/sting?

Thought it is weird they were recognized weeks later- it's a busy airport after all!

16 minutes ago, barsie said:

Weirder still do I read it right- they stole the laptop on arrival?

You got it right....."The couple stole the notebook when they arrived in Thailand in October and police arrested them when they tried to board a plane home on November 24th after being recognised by airport security staff."       Hmmmmm  begs the question, maybe several hundred thousand people came thru that airport that month, how did they recognize them  -  I think they turned on the "Find my Mac" feature and the laptop was located in th departure lounge..........I turned it on my old iPhone 5 and found it in Cambodia after I lost it in Thailand.  I erased it over the air and was notified by Apple when it was erased...........good feature.     But maybe this airport Apple left in the arrival lounge was indeed a scam as one poster suggested??

14 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You got it right....."The couple stole the notebook when they arrived in Thailand in October and police arrested them when they tried to board a plane home on November 24th after being recognised by airport security staff."       Hmmmmm  begs the question, maybe several hundred thousand people came thru that airport that month, how did they recognize them  -  I think they turned on the "Find my Mac" feature and the laptop was located in th departure lounge..........I turned it on my old iPhone 5 and found it in Cambodia after I lost it in Thailand.  I erased it over the air and was notified by Apple when it was erased...........good feature.     But maybe this airport Apple left in the arrival lounge was indeed a scam as one poster suggested??

More likely that the suspects photos had been circulated among airport staff , their photos could have been mugshots on display at the immigration booths .

If this was indeed a scam, they would have arrested the thiefs at the time

49 minutes ago, shaurene said:

Are you sure that you are telling the truth ?

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Face Recognition hard and software installed. 

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

An Indian stole many TV's...here, Swiss nationals steal a laptop and it will carry on.

I know its not really relevant but you are wrong about the Indian stealing tv's in Thailand. It was in Bangalore in Southern India lol.

hmmm?  This has scam written all over it after reading "Shaurene's" post.  Drug dealers, counterfitters, etc etc leave all the time and are not recognized.  1 notebook stolen from a passenger a week+ earlier immediately sets off alarms and whistles and they go as far as searching their luggage.  hmmm?  Does the word "entrapment" mean anything in here?  Security is looking suspiciously good here.   I'd like to hear the end of this story come January 11th.

11 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

The couple will get to avoid all the snow and yodelling of Switzerland for at least another 5 weeks.  While they might not get much of a tan, I'm sure they will lose a little weight while guests of the Thai government.  Nice Catch Swampy security

they might also catch a disease like Hepatitis in jail, quite common here with the food !?...well, one stupid mistake could change there whole life !!!

3 minutes ago, off road pat said:

they might also catch a disease like Hepatitis in jail, quite common here with the food !?...well, one stupid mistake could change there whole life !!!

you don't know enough about hepatitis...

46 minutes ago, off road pat said:

what I meant is that Hepatitis A cannot be considered serious enough to paint a gloomy picture of it being a condition that " could change there(sic) whole life "...

About 114 million infections (asymptomatic and symptomatic) occurred all together in 2015. Acute hepatitis A resulted in 11,200 deaths in 2015.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_A#Epidemiology

3 hours ago, pattayadon said:

hmmm?  This has scam written all over it after reading "Shaurene's" post.  Drug dealers, counterfitters, etc etc leave all the time and are not recognized.  1 notebook stolen from a passenger a week+ earlier immediately sets off alarms and whistles and they go as far as searching their luggage.  hmmm?  Does the word "entrapment" mean anything in here?  Security is looking suspiciously good here.   I'd like to hear the end of this story come January 11th.

What has the word  ' entrapment ' got to do with anything?

I realise that in the USA it means something and may be used as some sort of defense for the mentally retarded offender but let's get real..... Don't take stuff that doesn't belong to you! 

If someone stole a garden gnome that was sitting at the front of your house..... Could this be entrapment? 

If the garden gnome wasn't there then the urge to steal would not have occurred? 

Bit like saying it was the farangs fault in an accident.... If farangs had not come to Thailand the accident would not have happened. 

Pretty poor reason for defense  in my book. 

Your view may differ. 

Caught them on video stealing, did a photo recognition with immigration, found out who they were and when they were leaving and were waiting for them at the airport upon departure .

Who cares if it was entrapment.  Police use bait cars to catch car thieves.  let them rot in jail and then get deported back to Switzerland

1 minute ago, isaanbanhou said:

Who cares if it was entrapment.  

Off course it wasn't. the Police are not going to let 40 000 Bahts worth of computer walk out the door , knowing they may never see it again .

If it was entrapment, they would have arrested them there and then at the time of theft

5555. scam?? entrapment?? really?? just a little thief who got busted. i actually reckon they'll be home by christmas but wouldn't want to be them now

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Off course it wasn't. the Police are not going to let 40 000 Bahts worth of computer walk out the door , knowing they may never see it again .

If it was entrapment, they would have arrested them there and then at the time of theft

If I were the police, I would do something like this a hundred times a month.  The computer doesn't have to be a good one, it just has to look like it is a good one.  Put some fine looking but empty piece of crap in a nice new sealed box that looks new. heck, they got shrink wrapping available right there in the airport!  I don't see how leaving something on a seat could ever be called entrapment. 

14 hours ago, spectrumisgreen said:

How stupid can pretty much all the folks involved be? First you're a thief - not good - but stealing something in a very public place with plenty of CCTV cameras watching over the area? Then you go back, try to 'innoccently' pass through said very public place at a later date - okay, you've gotta get home, but shouldn't you have thought about that in the first place, must have brains like a swiss cheese  (whoops, <deleted> em, haha!) - and hope everyone's just forgot, or didn't notice in the first place, yeah? And  THEN there's the owner who left their 40,000 baht laptop unattened, like its a good idea to EVER leave ANYTHING of your valuables unattended!.. not forgetting, of course, that in an airport even a small, apparently innocuous, kit bag could quite rightly removed and destroyed by security as a potential explosive device!!! As you basically say.. lock em ALL up.. maybe these eejits could spend Christmas figuring out how to play games like 'Pass The Parcel' together!!! :saai::sad::shock1:   :wai:

I still wish they would show the video of the person leaving the laptop box

Archived