Carnage in South Pattaya as "epileptic" man plows into people/bikes

Jonathan Fairfield

Maybe he has narcolepsy, not epilepsy.  That's where you drop off to sleep without any warning.  

I was under the impression that epileptics usually got some warning of an impending attack - enough time to stop your vehicle - but this may not always be the case.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, petertucker48 said:

The guy with epilepsy may have been taking medication for 10/20 Years with no problems.

Before making stupid remarks please look the condition and understand there are variations to the illness.

If he was actually medicating properly for many years and it suddenly didn't work, that would be grounds for banning all epileptics from driving, as who would know if similar wouldn't happen again.

If he stopped taking his medication and wilfully drove, it's manslaughter, period.

However, if he just blacked out without a seizure, it may be down to some other reason than epilepsy.

Whatever, his life is not looking good from now on.

3 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Maybe he has narcolepsy, not epilepsy.  That's where you drop off to sleep without any warning.  

I was under the impression that epileptics usually got some warning of an impending attack - enough time to stop your vehicle - but this may not always be the case.

I doubt if someone just has an isolated case of narcolepsy.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I saw the carnage on Facebook earlier and he was very lucky that the cops protected him from a very serious beating. I hope he can provide good evidence of his medical condition, because that should be a murder charge.

And if he does suffer from epilepsy or seizures, who was the doctor who OK-yed him to obtain a drivers licence? The entire system of obtaining licences in Thailand needs overhauling.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:
  • Epileptics can drive as long as their epilepsy is controlled.
  • 0% of drunks should drive
  • 0% of drugged up people should drive.

Hope this helps.

No epileptics should drive also, especially in a foreign country !

Wish him the worst for his stupidity.

46 minutes ago, anfh said:

In Uk   If Epileptic, you can drive provided you have been “fit free “ for a year.

not sure about here. 

But considering the carnage here and the location, just how fast was he going at the time etc, and although alcohol free, was he tested for any drugs etc ? 

You can reapply for your licence if fit free for a year, it is not guaranteed that you will be approved. But that only applies to Group 1 licences. A group 2 licence requires you to be fit free for 10 years without medication. I seriously doubt there is any control or checking here in Thailand for epilepsy or other debilitating conditions.

this is all very quick! Let's get confirmation about epilepsy and why he was driving before the whole thing gets twisted out of proportion.

If he WAS epileptic, I'm sure he shouldn't have been in the vehicle ..... the police seem to think this is some kind of mitigation....I beg to differ.

Is he a very rich epileptic?

1 hour ago, glasswort said:

"Outraged posters on Facebook were questioning how a person suffering from epilepsy could be driving". 

Are there in fact any laws in Thailand banning those suffering from epilepsy .from driving? I somehow doubt it.

As there appears to be an abundance of brainless/brain-dead people driving in LOS I seriously doubt there is any legal restriction for epileptics. Even if there were, laws in LOS are always open to negotiation depending on social status. 

I suspect (but obviously have no proof) that he is lying to try to excuse dangerous driving.

I’m an epileptic and it takes a long time to come out of a seizure. If it had been a partial seizure he’d have had a memory of what happened but would have very little understanding of the situation - and virtually no ability to communicate coherently - so soon afterwards

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Admittedly I don't know the laws in Thailand regarding Epilepsy & driving but back in the UK my SiL has this condition and has been driving for many many years.

Friend of mine in UK had his licence cancelled immediately when diagnosed..

Obviously depends on severity I suppose.

53 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Some epileptics get advance warning (I am fortunate enough to get a few moments warning) but others simply go into a seizure without any signs. It varies 

Horrible tragedy but definitely an ACCIDENT that happened without ill intention. I don't even understand how a manslaughter charge would apply in a case like this. Except for one thing. If the driver knew his condition wasn't under control and he drove anyway. 

People with epilepsy can drive cars if 1) they are on proper medication and 2) has not had an attack for a certain period of time: 12 months in the UK,  3-12 months in different US states. 

Studies show that the driver fatality crash rate for the general population was 2.6 times higher than epilepsy-related driver fatalities. 

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:
  • Epileptics can drive as long as their epilepsy is controlled.
  • 0% of drunks should drive
  • 0% of drugged up people should drive.

Hope this helps.

I would venture a guess that any farang, after drinking a few pints of beer and therefore well over the "limit", would still be a much better driver than 99% of the Thai drivers on the road :)

6 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In the US, such an event would be treated like any other event, that is as a terrorist attack, the driver would already be dealing with some enhanced interrogation, while the White House would be calling for the death penalty and retaliation against Iran!

Then, and only then, the police would start investigating...

You're exaggerating.

Yes, it would be considered at first but like in this case, they would have known right away about the medical issue.

Thailand has suffered terrorist attacks as well, so car attacks could happen here as well. 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I saw the carnage on Facebook earlier and he was very lucky that the cops protected him from a very serious beating. I hope he can provide good evidence of his medical condition, because that should be a murder charge.

Should it not be murder to drive while you know you have this condition.. endangering people. 

Just now, robblok said:

Should it not be murder to drive while you know you have this condition.. endangering people. 

Not if it's under control. I had a grand mal seizure when I was a kid and went on medication for years. Then the doctors said stop the medication. Never a seizure since. So according to you I shouldn't drive for life. Luckily, the authorities of most governments aren't that stupid. 

3 hours ago, z42 said:

There is a video of the pickup driver back at the nick. He blew 0 on the breathalyser machine.

Dreadful crash which if the driver's account is to be believed makes it a horrendously unfortunate incident as epilepsy isn't necessarily a condition which bars people outright from driving, however i stand to be corrected there.

Thoughts are with the families of the deceased and injured

Epilepcict can't drive 

Unless they have had no sizures in the last 5 years 

How ever in most countries they are not allowed to drive because of there condition 

Unfortunately epilepsy may be the reason for the crash but should not be the excuse.

It is up to the driver to make sure he is fit to drive.

RIP to the deceased, condolences to their families and wish those injured a quick a full recovery.

I would venture a guess that any farang, after drinking a few pints of beer and therefore well over the "limit", would still be a much better driver than 99% of the Thai drivers on the road :)

They might think they are, but I very much doubt it!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Not if it's under control. I had a grand mal seizure when I was a kid and went on medication for years. Then the doctors said stop the medication. Never a seizure since. So according to you I shouldn't drive for life. Luckily, the authorities of most governments aren't that stupid. 

I have no idea JT, if it means that you can still get seizures and endanger people then i truly think you should not drive for life (sudden attacks can have big consequences on the road killing many people) . If people have this disease and don't take their meds... then i would say it should lead to charges.

It kinda depends on the chances of it happening and if people are taking the meds for it. Stuff like that. It certainly should not be an excuse if you kill people while you know you have this disease. 

They need to give this man an extensive examination, and determine if what he is saying is true. And if he is not taking his medication, he should be charged with multiple counts of murder, or at the least manslaughter. Even if he was on his meds, he had no business driving. His license should be revoked for life. He has caused a massive tragedy. Many families will never be the same, due to this fool's actions. 

2 hours ago, petertucker48 said:

The guy with epilepsy may have been taking medication for 10/20 Years with no problems.

Before making stupid remarks please look the condition and understand there are variations to the illness.

I would assume that  annual authorization from his neurologist would be the minimum requirement to allow him to be licensed (allowed) to drive. My guess is he wasn't licensed...... or his neurologist wasn't:-(.   There's a crime here either way. imo

Archived