Carnage in South Pattaya as "epileptic" man plows into people/bikes

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since human beings are generally the ones to drive vehicles and  humans are subject to heart attacks and strokes as well as epileptic attacks,  should we just move  forward and  ban all drivers who could be susceptible to such events.

Let's make the roads safe again..   :smile:!

Edit:   corrected as  I said  opposite of what I meant to say.

:sorry:

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're exaggerating.

Yes, it would be considered at first but like in this case, they would have known right away about the medical issue.

Thailand has suffered terrorist attacks as well, so car attacks could happen here as well. 

I was exaggerating indeed...on purpose...tongue in cheek...

Having said that, the medical condition, even if known, could well be ignored (classified) if that was serving a greater purpose.

Authorities over there are known to ignore inconvenient clues, while not hesitating to create convenient ones if necessary...

3 hours ago, malcoml said:

There is a lot of damage to that pick up.

If he had a fit you would expect he would take his foot off the accelerator.

How fast was he going....

Nope normally a fit or seizure would cause his legs and body to straighten up and in that situation if his foot was on the power he would simply excellerate to flat out and he would not know about it, which looks as though this has happened here.

During a fit the person can hear everything but cannot control anything, the noises around them and the happenings do not bring them out of the fit it is only the ending of the seizure that does that.

4 hours ago, z42 said:

There is a video of the pickup driver back at the nick. He blew 0 on the breathalyser machine.

Dreadful crash which if the driver's account is to be believed makes it a horrendously unfortunate incident as epilepsy isn't necessarily a condition which bars people outright from driving, however i stand to be corrected there.

Thoughts are with the families of the deceased and injured

Please they should not be anywhere near a vehicle and in Australia banned

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Indeed very unfortunate event, however, the onus is on the driver

who should have known and be mindful of his ailments and affliction

and take due care to medicate himself properly as people with epilipsy

can function normally providing they take their medications as prescribed.... 

He needs jail and worse 

Presumably the driver's Doctor would have to certify how serious his condition and presumably (again) the transport office manager would decide about issuing a license to drive. Certainly I am no expert on the condition but I understand that while tumors, brain damage etc can trigger epilepsy in many cases the cause in otherwise healthy people is unknown. Not all respond to medication and with the condition ranging from very mild to violent spasms makes it a difficult disorder to grade or classify. If this driver was under medication it would need to be established whether or not he was taking his medication as prescribed. Truly tragic. My condolences to the families.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Indeed very unfortunate event, however, the onus is on the driver

who should have known and be mindful of his ailments and affliction

and take due care to medicate himself properly as people with epilipsy

can function normally providing they take their medications as prescribed.... 

that is correct but even if taking medications correctly something called a breakthrough seizure can occur. actually not uncommon and commonly admitted to hospitals for reevaluation of current medicines

5 hours ago, thailand49 said:

R.I.P. 

Sadly, the system is really the blame, we will never know the condition of this driver especially through the news. For those of us that have gone through getting a license pay the money and you get a slip of paper at a local Thai client. There is no tracking system for history of drivers all done locally hand written in a log book?

Just came back from Tukcom,  Sukhumvit and Pattaya Tai and heavy presents of police making a show which is after the fact. 

Do you mean you were going to bribe the Police with Xmas presents?

Charge the driver accordingly.  

Second issue, these street justice beatings need to stop immediately.  This vigilante justice should be dealt with harshly to prevent incidents like this.  Especially assaulting someone who is either unconscious or defenseless. Gang assault should carry very stiff penalties.  There are incidents where even police have lost control handling motorists who have suffered heart attacks or diabetes related sugar crashes also.  Not everything is always what it seems to be.

42 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Word on the street (or rather on my wife's Facebook) is that he had been drinking. Two girls are posting that they had been drinking with him shortly before it happened.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

epileptics are told drinking can cause a seizure even if they take medication. very poor judgement to drive with that in mind.

the moment is all that matters without regard or contemplation of consequences

46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Word on the street (or rather on my wife's Facebook) is that he had been drinking. Two girls are posting that they had been drinking with him shortly before it happened.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Pull those girls in for a good interrogation then.

I use this junction three to four time per week and regularly see impatient drivers pull out into the opposite lane to race to the lights and turn right. They also do the same at the opposite end where Pattaya Tai joins Second Road. It is a miracle that this has not happened before.

There should be plenty of witnesses to confirm if this was the case and hopefully some CCTV/dashcams to show what really happened.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:
  • Epileptics can drive as long as their epilepsy is controlled.
  • 0% of drunks should drive
  • 0% of drugged up people should drive.

Hope this helps.

Condolences to those who are no longer with us and my hope for all who were injured, a speedy recovery.

I can't speak to driving regs & licensure here (probably none) but in EU and US an epileptic can get a license. They need to prove to be seizure-free for a time (not sure how long or how documented) and they get a physician's evaluation stating medication allows patient to control it.   

I have a family member who's epileptic so I've seen the effects first hand for 36 years.  I've seen a seizure happen after years without one.  SO many things that can alter efficacy of meds. 

In this case one has to wonder if he's maintaining a regimen to control it or being negligent.  If the latter, he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

I feel for those who still suffer from epilepsy.  I've been around too many seizures in my life and seen how they affect the afflicted..  

17 minutes ago, Oink said:

I use this junction three to four time per week and regularly see impatient drivers pull out into the opposite lane to race to the lights and turn right. They also do the same at the opposite end where Pattaya Tai joins Second Road. It is a miracle that this has not happened before.

There should be plenty of witnesses to confirm if this was the case and hopefully some CCTV/dashcams to show what really happened.

i've seen a CCTV video of the event shot from by tony's gym with the camera looking into south pattaya rd. the pick up approaches from the friendship/tukom direction at speed on completely the wrong side of the road with the drivers side wheels running up against the kerb. it takes out a number of motorcy ...........like skittles...........which are heading into town and comes to rest pushing a couple of motorcy in front of it on the far side of the third rd junction. still on totally the wrong side of the road. the motorcys had no chance

They will never learn.

The other day when enetrin the highway 7 I encounter a tour bus with 50 tourists inside on reverse on the entrance ramp. He had another 300 meters to go, and was in the middle of the road.

On Highway 36 there is a U-turn where EVERY DAY I estimate at least 500 cars.buses/trucks go for about 200 meters against traffic flow

I see advertising now here in Thailand for the cars with sensors that will automatically break the car when you are about to run something over.

I assume it will not sell to the male Thai  population here.

They will not break for anything, ever never.

Such a system is just unacceptable and utterly confusing for them.

A system that will automatically flash your headlight moments before you run something over will become a success tough.

Archived