Carnage in South Pattaya as "epileptic" man plows into people/bikes

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:
  • Epileptics can drive as long as their epilepsy is controlled.
  • 0% of drunks should drive
  • 0% of drugged up people should drive.

Hope this helps.

I tried to search for statistics, some websites say epileptics cause 30 times less accidents than people over the alcohol limit...

WHICH IS VERY BAD because there are much more than 30 times more drivers under the influence of alcohol than there are epileptics.

Begs the question why that level of risk is accepted.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similar to an incident 4 years ago, when an epileptic man driving a black pick up took the lives of four 9 years old students at the entrance to a school in Nongbualamphu. He knew the risks, had already had accidents, but carried on driving regardless. Compensation was paid to the families, but the killer never went to prison. So similar, and students involved this time too, same man? Unlikely I know, but how many people would be so callous to drive knowing that they could have a fit at any time?

36 minutes ago, Havrum said:

I was there in the aftermath, horrible scene.

My wife has informed me that the Thai news is saying that he has tested negative for alcohol but a blood test at the hospital has revealed illegal drugs in his system. I think the epileptic theory has been blown and he only claimed he had a fit to cover his drugged up condition.

I am happy I am not awake at 7 AM or it could have been me ,  I bicycle in that area almost daily .  RIP to the victims. 

This is my worst nightmare in the traffic , you can try to be observant and look out for cars  , but you only have 1 second to react .   

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I saw the carnage on Facebook earlier and he was very lucky that the cops protected him from a very serious beating. I hope he can provide good evidence of his medical condition, because that should be a murder charge.

The only evidence that will save him is that he just started having seizures and wasn't aware of his condition. If he knows he has seizures, then drives, then he is fully liable. Going by what he said, he's well aware he's prone to seizures, so that still should be a murder charge.

As I noted,  everything that has been said comes down to the system in affect which is slim and none sadly here in Thailand.

As far as I'm concern there will never be a device that can total control a individual that has negligent tendency.

Someone said you can't get a license sure you can but after a medical process to determine the individual is fit and responsible. Once it is reported and determine the condition the hospital and Doctor must report the condition and usually the license is suspended. It could take as long as two years to get the suspension removed, I had a brother years ago pass out due to high blood pressure his condition was reported thereafter license suspended. Personal experience when I was still in the transportation industry I passed out one day on the bus going home after a unusual hot day I just happen to be with my supervisor. I was prevented from going to work and drive for a week until I got a medical checkup and evaluation clearance to go back to work. 

That being said, there got to be a system in place here in Thailand, I think I can safely say there is none!

The way this case is going something smells the incident is starting to look like after the accident, brake fail etc.. the difference the guy couldn't run from the scene of the accident.:post-4641-1156694606:

21 hours ago, malcoml said:

There is a lot of damage to that pick up.

If he had a fit you would expect he would take his foot off the accelerator.

How fast was he going....

You don't have a fit, you have a seizure which is either grand mal or petit mal. The former causes violent uncontrolled spasms and could easily have pounded the gas pedal hard to the floor. 

ny more years, thereafter

22 hours ago, wvavin said:

Manslaughter charge at least but in Thailand, he will definitely walk out of the court a free man if he has money to distribute.

It should actually be classed as 'NEGLIGENCE to the point of manslaughter', of which I recall a precedent in England, although the particular incident I'm thinking of didn't involve any road vehicles. It was actually the famous 'Cockney' funny guy, Mike Reid's, son, then a young man, who accidentally shot dead his lifelong best friend while holding (Cleaning? Larking about with?) a loaded rifle.. and because it was made clear that Mr Reid jnr understood fully the potential implications of not taking due care whilst handling such weapon - and the totally careless, indeed wreckless, way he HAD handled the loaded rifle on that fateful day - the presiding judge announced that although he understood that Reids friend's death was in essence a tragic accident, nevertheless such crass stupidity (my words there!) 'Amounted to negligence to the point of manslaughter'. In other words he obviously hadn't cared in any way enough about his own actions, or the lethal threat such wrecklessness could so easily present to others, to avoid such a tragedy, and so must.. MUST.. be held accountable for it beyond mere consideration of his best friends death as an unfortunate accident!!! This guy, too, most likely didn't THINK he was going to hurt, nevermind kill, anyone, that day, but he ABSOLUTELY understood, and ABSOLUTELY didn't give much care or aforethought to, any potential consequences of his stupid-beyond-stupid self-centred-beyond-self-centred actions of choosing to drive!!! Not sure thats how such a thing will, or even has the capacity to, play out in the Thai courts, of course! Nonetheless, that the police should actually have let the crowd do what they wished with him, string him up, say, from the nearest tree, is my honest and truthfully considered thoughts on such a man as, after all, you demonstrate no compassion nor consideration for your fellow human beings, by such actions, then for me you deserve absolutely no such compassion nor any consideration whatsoever in return!!! (RIP the victims, hope the surviving casualties recover!..)...:wai:

We don't know the background.  It is a fact that he registered zero on alcohol, which knocks the hearsay that he was drinking earlier with some girls.  He may well be epileptic and he may not have had a seizure for years before.  In most other countries that would qualify him to drive.

Some years ago, in my home town, a lady had a heart attack whilst driving down a main road.  A mother and baby were killed and a toddler seriously injured.  The driver died from the heart attack.  How would you stop that happening.

Unfortunately, s**t happens and can not always be prevented.

2 minutes ago, HHTel said:

We don't know the background.  It is a fact that he registered zero on alcohol, which knocks the hearsay that he was drinking earlier with some girls.  He may well be epileptic and he may not have had a seizure for years before.  In most other countries that would qualify him to drive.

Some years ago, in my home town, a lady had a heart attack whilst driving down a main road.  A mother and baby were killed and a toddler seriously injured.  The driver died from the heart attack.  How would you stop that happening.

Unfortunately, s**t happens and can not always be prevented.

His a liar ran the red wrong side of road..needs a beating and a cell

15 minutes ago, Media1 said:

His a liar ran the red wrong side of road..needs a beating and a cell

I know he was tested for drugs in his bloodstream.  It doesn't state what drugs were found.  If he is taking anti-seizure medication, then I believe there can be a false-positive.  Until we know what drugs were found then it's just speculation or your psychic ability.

4 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I know he was tested for drugs in his bloodstream.  It doesn't state what drugs were found.  If he is taking anti-seizure medication, then I believe there can be a false-positive.  Until we know what drugs were found then it's just speculation or your psychic ability.

True but he was seen going guns blazing in the wrong lane. Vehicle dead straight. The answer is right there. 

Story doesn't stack up. I don't believe and at this point I may advertise for card reading services

8 minutes ago, HHTel said:

It wont state because that may effect the earning capacity of the RTP

29 minutes ago, Media1 said:

True but he was seen going guns blazing in the wrong lane. Vehicle dead straight. The answer is right there. 

Story doesn't stack up. I don't believe and at this point I may advertise for card reading services

Have you seen the video?  If that was dead straight, I'd hate to see you go in a straight line.

It does appear, however, that this may not have been due to epilepsy but drug abuse.  I'm sure the facts will come out.

13 minutes ago, manarak said:

what was he doing on completely the wrong side of the road behind the bus ?

he  is speeding like a maniac

sees the bus to late

has to avoid it at to high speed and starts oscillating , then trying to recover control of the car.

its just the breaking distance from the high speed until it comes at a  stop.

He is just speeding like crazy, that is not unusual.

can be seen om thousands of compilations on youtube.

same same

3 hours ago, HHTel said:

We don't know the background.  It is a fact that he registered zero on alcohol, which knocks the hearsay that he was drinking earlier with some girls. 

His dad has a bar in walking street that starts getting customers around 4am and continues till 9-10am.

He will tell what the Pattaya police write in their report.

His dad has a bar in walking street that starts getting customers around 4am and continues till 9-10am.

Indeed. The fact that the police say he registered zero for alcohol means very little.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Indeed this is what the Thai discussions on this are saying at this point (per my gf and her friends nattering on about it over lunch today). Apparently his dad has a fair degree of influence in Pattaya so questionable if there will be a real penalty for him... wait for the media storm to die down and then he'll be on his way.  Regardless of the fact that he was apparently high as a kite and had been drinking.

Indeed this is what the Thai discussions on this are saying at this point (per my gf and her friends nattering on about it over lunch today). Apparently his dad has a fair degree of influence in Pattaya so questionable if there will be a real penalty for him... wait for the media storm to die down and then he'll be on his way.  Regardless of the fact that he was apparently high as a kite and had been drinking.

And the bar in question is very well known for early morning drinking; there seems little doubt he was high as a kite.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 12/4/2017 at 11:39 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Outraged posters on Facebook were questioning how a person suffering from epilepsy could be driving. 

Exactly the same way as most of the minivan, coach, truck and many other drivers in Thailand suffer from narcolepsy.

RIP to the dead, get well soon to the injured and sympathy to the friends and families.

:angry:

On 12/4/2017 at 11:45 AM, darksidedog said:

I saw the carnage on Facebook earlier and he was very lucky that the cops protected him from a very serious beating. I hope he can provide good evidence of his medical condition, because that should be a murder charge.

F<deleted> him providing 'good evidence' of his medical condition, towards helping him get off with some lighter 'sentence' for such an irresponsible (at absolute best!) act of diabolical stupidity (again, at best!).. THE DRIVER absolutely KNEW just what he was doing and risking, and I believe therefore that he himself SHOULD have died. Yes, died. That he deserved to. And that's not a simple 'knee-jerk' reaction to a tragic event but a considered opinion (although it is also something I do angrily WISH had happened!!).. And I say this from the point of view that if I had been this guy, had known what he knew, and still had taken to the roads, then I simply could not continue on as before with the knowledge of what my total stupidity, ignorance, and clear penchant for absolute self-centred wrecklessness had brought about upon innocent unknowing people!!! If he's not person enough to do the right thing, then I actually really do hope he goes to jail and gets murdered by a psychopathic cell-mate!!! If this is now to be somehow deemed a 'troll' post then <deleted> it, I'm not about to apologise for stating what is actually just what I honestly, truly, feel and would especially so feel if any members of my own family or friends had been victims of such a worthless piece of crap!!!

Archived