Pattaya announces new public enemy number one - smokers and their deadly cigarettes!

webfact

18 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

I think you seems to have little grasp of how society tackles problems 

Basically the government is trying to break the habit of smoking by restricting the places it is acceptable.

Secondly smoking in shared public places leads to litter and of course the unpleasant smell of cigarette smoke.

I also think that 50,000 deaths per year is a serious problem 

You view this post from the world at large. I view it specifically for Pattaya. Back to my question, which is the more serious problem leading to death, smokes at the beach or road accidents?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Pattaya mayor has announced all out war on smokers

The Pattaya mayor has announced all out war on:

. jet ski scam opeators

. corrupt police, officials and other assorted extortionists

. drivers who fail to stop at red lights and pedestrian crossings

. wreckless drivers

. drivers over the allowed alcohol limit (not necessarily "drunk" drivers)

. raw sewage effluents into the bay

. woman-boys (I refuse to use the word "lady") street thefts

. songthaews who park and stop wherever they like

. rampant corruption and blatant mismanagement

. bars failing to close at designated hours

. pickpockets and thieves

Now THERE'S a headline!!

Just now, transam said:

I didn't smoke in the UK for about 20 years but was on a lung puffer...Moved to LOS and in no time l threw away the puffer....I started to smoke again....NO PUFFER needed..

Even in the bars of Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Siem Reap I haven't felt the desire for a cigarette... 

Your saying smoking is good for your lungs?   You're joking....  

Smoking for more than 40 years was giving me bronchitis at least twice a year and it would last for weeks...Bronchitis can lead to Emphysema and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease..(COPD) ( Emphysema and COPD killed my grandfather... he smoked cigarettes without filters,,, smoked pipes,,, smoked cigars. It cost him his life. )    I couldn't run for a block and I would be out of breath when I did run... 

All that is gone.... quiting has healed me... I've got my breath back...  smoker's cough gone... I haven't had Bronchitis in years... The desire for a smoke finally vanished... I can run for many blocks now... and I have money for other things.. 

Are you truly saying smoking has helped your health ? ?  

I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1. 

14 minutes ago, trogers said:

You view this post from the world at large. I view it specifically for Pattaya. Back to my question, which is the more serious problem leading to death, smokes at the beach or road accidents?

Are you suggesting we get rid of cars and trucks and songthaews and tuk tuks and go to bicycles and horse and buggy? 

This is designed to hand the police an easy opportunity to extort bribes from smokers. What a joke. There are dozens of more toxic environmental issues that need take precedence over this but they will require spending money and proper policing and so will never see the light of day. 

i don’t have a problem with policing smoking zones but this is not about a concern over the environment. It’s about soft targeting, extortion and the lining of pockets. 

8 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Even in the bars of Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Siem Reap I haven't felt the desire for a cigarette... 

Your saying smoking is good for your lungs?   You're joking....  

Smoking for more than 40 years was giving me bronchitis at least twice a year and it would last for weeks...Bronchitis can lead to Emphysema and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease..(COPD) ( Emphysema and COPD killed my grandfather... he smoked cigarettes without filters,,, smoked pipes,,, smoked cigars. It cost him his life. )    I couldn't run for a block and I would be out of breath when I did run... 

All that is gone.... quiting has healed me... I've got my breath back...  smoker's cough gone... I haven't had Bronchitis in years... The desire for a smoke finally vanished... I can run for many blocks now... and I have money for other things.. 

Are you truly saying smoking has helped your health ? ?  

I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1. 

eyes.gif.ffe5a5d846d747b3337d8985a02c1551.gif.....Where did I say smoking is good for me.....?

I am near 70 and go to the gym and lift weights.....NO PUFFER for me in LOS..

Why is that.....?

11 minutes ago, transam said:

eyes.gif.ffe5a5d846d747b3337d8985a02c1551.gif.....Where did I say smoking is good for me.....?

I am near 70 and go to the gym and lift weights.....NO PUFFER for me in LOS..

Why is that.....?

I'm near 70 also....  and got a lot of my health and stamina back after quitting.. Haven't smoked now in more than 10 years.    I can go to the bars in Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and the bars when I am in Siem Reap.... and I don't need a cigarette anymore.  I will NEVER smoke again.  ( I SHOULD get back into the gym...been lazy about that, I do admit) 

You said...quote:   "...on a lung puffer...Moved to LOS and in no time l threw away the puffer....I started to smoke again....NO PUFFER needed.."

You are smoking again and able to throw away your puffer.... seems like you are implying that the smoking is good for your health in some way.       "...I started to smoke again....NO PUFFER needed.."

2 minutes ago, Catoni said:

You said...quote:   "...on a lung puffer...Moved to LOS and in no time l threw away the puffer....I started to smoke again....NO PUFFER needed.."

You are smoking again and able to throw away your puffer.... seems like you are implying that the smoking is good for your health in some way.       "...I started to smoke again....NO PUFFER needed.."

Oh well, seems you cannot see that lung probs can come from other stuff you breath in every day that you cannot see or smell...Never mind, you keep driving your ride, flying on planes and blame folk who smoke...sad-face.gif.f1c910a961ab32ca4d0b907df3f7b186.gif

It seems a ludicrous over-reaction to what most normal people regard as a minor social problem.  I'd guess it is something visible that can be achieved, and that can be turned in to a profit too.  It will also receive vigorous vocal support from the anti-smoking lobby, which packs a big punch despite its relative unimportance.

Will it win support from tourists?... I doubt it.  I'd guess 20-30% are smokers anyway.  And I reckon the rest aren't bothered, since it is hardly a major problem for them, and many come over precisely to get away from the PC rules they chafe under back in Blighty, etc.  So, I'd say a net loss for the tourist industry. 

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

P.S. I am not a smoker.  I hate smoking.  But I also hate stupid priorities.  When do they expect to prioritise the installation of a sewage treatment plant commensurate with the population of a major tourist destination?

Once they have raised enough revenue from fining smokers ..... factoring in fine redistribution processes, this could be anytime in the distant future.

PS.... Don’t hold your breath

4 hours ago, monspencer said:

Yes it's still illegal, but there is no enforcement, they do sweet rock all about it.

I was in a gogo bar recently and not only were people smoking but somebody was even puffing on an e-cig which is also illegal

Why e cigs are illegal is beyond me. One would have thought that they would be welcomed for reducing the risk of lung cancer.

1 minute ago, cookieqw said:

The complete disregard for the country practiced by smokers who think it’s quite acceptable to drop cigarette butts on the ground is a level of their intelligence. They are scum, pure scum !!!   ( for country read all countries )

"They are scum, pure scum !!!"

This is the example of the complete over-reaction that smoking seems to cause a small, but highly militant bunch of anti-smokers.

4 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

The complete disregard for the country practiced by smokers who think it’s quite acceptable to drop cigarette butts on the ground is a level of their intelligence. They are scum, pure scum !!!   ( for country read all countries )

Is other rubbish dropped by locals all over the place acceptable or just a ciggy butt dropped by a farang your ploblem...?

After all the intelligent analysis is done, I'm left with the distinct impression that most stress in this world is created by a curious bunch of puritans who simply can't let others live their lives cheaply and simply.  This is particularly obvious with nicotine issues.  There is no sound, logical basis for comparing the danger of smoking outside with pollution, or even alcohol related problems.  And if anything the problem could easily be alleviated by allowing vaping which is utterly harmless.  But Oh no... can't do that... it allows people to enjoy themselves.

24 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Are you suggesting we get rid of cars and trucks and songthaews and tuk tuks and go to bicycles and horse and buggy? 

Sarcastic comment but why not in certain areas (apart from the horses and their shit) ?   Tuk-tuks are already 90% gone if you hadn't noticed. Point is a hell of a lot more could be done about vehicle pollution along the beach, or any, road.  Electric Songtaews would be easy to produce and run for a start, they don't go any faster than your average golf cart anyway doing the second road - beach road round and round all day.  Ban motorbikes, extend Walking Street up to Central Road, tons of good suggestions are regularly put forward and totally ignored.  Agree with fines for littering (a far more viable campaign) but banning smoking is about as effective as removing a single empty water bottle from the ocean a day.

No income can be gained from solving a problem.  People might comply, then what?

It's a good start.  Well done Pattaya. 90% of people do not smoke and the 10% who do impose ill health and stink on the majority of customers and staff in bars, clubs, restaurants and GoGo bars. Make no mistake this selfish,  stupid minority is giving people cancer, emphysema and other sever illnesses. They have no right to do so. 

1 minute ago, The manic said:

It's a good start.  Well done Pattaya. 90% of people do not smoke and the 10% who do impose ill health and stink on the majority of customers and staff in bars, clubs, restaurants and GoGo bars. Make no mistake this selfish,  stupid minority is giving people cancer, emphysema and other sever illnesses. They have no right to do so. 

I thought smoking was banned in pubs, restaurants, and enclosed areas!  If not, it really is a case of rules not being enforced.

Smoking outside can't possibly harm anyone else.  Pollution appears to be doing all you listed!  Agreed?

12 minutes ago, The manic said:

Great post!

A poster saying what most others think. As the beaches become noticably cleaner there will be other stuff. 

What about a ban on dogs, and cats, doing poo poo (and pee pee) in certain areas?

And what about this habit people have of washing their backsides in the sea?

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

Do you drive a motorised vehicle....?

19 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

"They are scum, pure scum !!!"

This is the example of the complete over-reaction that smoking seems to cause a small, but highly militant bunch of anti-smokers.

90% of people do noz smoke and have suffered at the hand of militant ignoramuses funded by the tobacco business propaganda fund and false research. Nobody is forcing people to stop smoking-just not in public places.  It has worked in the rest of the world and there are designated smoking area inpubs and airports.  The smokers need to question their assumed entitlement to make us sick and smelly. Some GoGo bars in WS are wreathed in thick smoke and the dancing girls and other staff are being damaged. Same for pub and bar staff.  Smokers: Give up moaning or give up smoking and join the modern age! 

1 minute ago, The manic said:

90% of people do noz smoke and have suffered at the hand of militant ignoramuses funded by the tobacco business propaganda fund and false research. Nobody is forcing people to stop smoking-just not in public places.  It has worked in the rest of the world and there are designated smoking area inpubs and airports.  The smokers need to question their assumed entitlement to make us sick and smelly. Some GoGo bars in WS are wreathed in thick smoke and the dancing girls and other staff are being damaged. Same for pub and bar staff.  Smokers: Give up moaning or give up smoking and join the modern age! 

Do you drive a motorised vehicle...?

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I thought smoking was banned in pubs, restaurants, and enclosed areas!  If not, it really is a case of rules not being enforced.

Smoking outside can't possibly harm anyone else.  Pollution appears to be doing all you listed!  Agreed?

I find transport useful. Not so with smoke being blown in my face in the street. Yes of course harmful pollution issues should be addressed but there is nothing worse than smoking for lung, lip, tongue, throat cancer plus emphasmia and bronchitis etc. Workers in the entertainment industry have a right to breath inclean air and kids should be shielded from seeing adults smoking.  There is no freedom in debilitating sickness.  And other forms of pollution are no excuse not to fight the filthiest form of self destruction-tobacco smoking.  Just provide spaces for these people as they do in Airports and pubs in the UK. 

16 minutes ago, The manic said:

Smoking is already banned in public places and other establishments such as bars, pubs, and clubs in Thailand.  I don't think there are many, if any, that are arguing the case for a reversal or who are against a ban on the beach front.  But they are rightly standing their ground on the real issue that the anti-smokers are really peeved about. 

And of course they are absolutely right to point out how disproportionate the argument is when compared to the undeniable and absolute damage caused by vehicles, smog, and drunk drivers.

You are just ranting really. Ok... you don't like smoking.  Do you do nothing that might offend others?  Drinking for instance is a far worse social evil... not that I'm so bothered, unlike you.

Archived