What to see and nice place for the evening and then sleep on the road between Pattaya and Sisaket?

alexlm

Hello,

I'll be going, in February, to drive from Chonburi to Sisaket.

I wanted to do it in 2 days.

So I could spend one day on the road and sleep one night anywhere in the middle between my departure and destination...

The break would be around this huge park and mountains (some right part of it is called Ta Phraya National Park for example).at the south of Nakhon Ratchasima.

What is there to do in this "south of Nakhon Ratchasima province"? Is this big park and mountains interesting? Somewhere with an amazing view? Or should I go up to Nakhon Ratchasima?

Where should I stop to have a cool evening? And nice sleep?

Somewhere beautiful? With some things to do?

What would you do?

I've done that route but with a few stops. Best route is through Chachoengsao (thr 359 is a greatroad) Si Kaeo,  Route 3395 / 3486, then via Buriram (Best Western and Amari both good to stay) or via Surin to SiSaket. Phanom Rung is on the way and is a must visit as is the smaller Muang Tam a few kilometres away. Buriram football stadium and race track are worth a visit. 

You mind find this of interest: 

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Phanom Rung is on the way and is a must visit as is the smaller Muang Tam a few kilometres away.

I second BB's recommendation to spend time at these two lovely temples.  Depending on your timing, the former can be either busy or pretty empty, and the latter is always likely to be very quiet.  Easy to spend an hour+ at each place. 

I have done this road a hundred times, since I am living in Sisaket and used to travel a lot to Pattaya and back.

Phanum Rung is very nice indeed...but...the problem is that is much more than halfway on the road, and that there is not really a place to sleep like the one you are seeking.

I have slept many times at Cabbage and Condoms in Nang Rong, the closest city to Phanum Rung, on road 24...nice but very basic.

Way much better, and that would be my recommendation would be to stop on road 304, while crossing the Thap Lan (Tublan) national park, in Prachinburi province.

There you will find a wonderful hotel and restaurant in the jungle, yet easily accessible from the road.

I stop there everytime I drive on this road: good restaurant, beautiful rooms facing the trees, local products such as jungle honey or home grown coffee...all at a very decent price.

The place is called Thon Naam Resort...

If you are interested, let me know and I will try to provide more information...

We used to sleep in a resort right at the entrance of Lahan Sai coming from Pattaya.  And if you get up early morning the next day, there is plenty of time for visiting Phanom Rung - actally it's very nice on early mornings when the air is still fresh - before continuing to Sisaket

The route is Pattaya - 331 -  then a short stretch of the 304 until the junction to the 359 (Aranyaprathet) - 33 (near Sakheo) - 3395 - 3486 to Taphraya Pass - 348 -  then 2120 to Lahan Sai 

From Lahan Sai the 224 to the junction to Phanom Rung

The resort is Lamom Resort    tel: 098 172 8435

236/1 ม .1 ถนน, ละหานทราย-ตาพระยา Tambon Lahan Sai, Amphoe Lahan Sai, Chang Wat Buri Ram 31170  

alternatively, if you are out for a little bit more action, you can just stop over halfway route in Aranyaphratet and check into one of the numerous resorts or hotels.  Then visit the Second Hand Clothes Market (Thalaad Rong Kluea) which is regarded as the largest in SEA. It is quite spectacular.

just a quick note:

if you decide to follow member brunolem's advice, then you will have to take the route via Prachinburi/ Kabinburi. This means, 331 to 304 all the way until you hit the 24, then towards Nang Rong

the alternative route I suggested  takes you from the 331 a short stretch of 304, then turn right into 359 to Aranyphrathet

either way, you will have to climb the mountain passes up to the Issan plateau. One is the Tap Lan Forest sanctuary, the other is the Thaphraya Pass 

An excellent coffee/food stop on the 359 is Coffee Please กบินทร์บุรี (it's on google maps) just before the 359 meets the 33 to Sakaew, about 3hrs from Pattaya.

I assume as you are going to Sisaket you know of the million bottle temple and khao phra wihan which really are worth visiting, especially the latter.

38 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I assume as you are going to Sisaket you know of the million bottle temple and khao phra wihan which really are worth visiting, especially the latter.

Khao Phra Vihearn and the Million Bottle Temple in Khun Han  - that's worth a visit AFTER he has reached his destination Sisaket as these places are as far away from Pattaya as Sisaket is.

However that was not his question. He asked for some sightseeing-worthy places ABOUT HALFWAY on the trip from Pattaya to Sisaket, so he could split up the trip into two parts

You also recommended to him going Chachoengsao and on to Buriram first, before visiting Phanom Rung. Well this is a great great detour away from the shortest route between Pattaya and Sisaket. Why would anyone want to do a 200 km detour just to sleep in Buriram, when there are excellent resorts en route about halfway and the opportunity to visit Phanom Rung on the passing by? There are only two routes which are advisable:  joining the 24 via 304 via Kabinburi, or joining the 24 at Prakon Chai  via  348 Sakeo/Thaphraya Pass.  

Going Buriram and visiting the temples afterwards is a ziggzagged route back and forth, costing him a measley 200 km more

I suggest you try Google Maps and the route planner, just to check on my accountability. Which by the way I do not need anymore, as I have driven all possible routes between aformentionend destinations a zillion of times, yet

Lets hear it for Phrakhon Chai. Hotel D'Amour, good enough for a Thai Princess to spend the nigh a couple of weeks ago. Air crew in Ban Faa Sai btw. Easy reach to Panom Rung and Muang Tam. 3 farang bar/restaurants and a Lotus Tesco with a KFC (ok I've never used it but the Thais like it). And a chicken fighting stadium with electronic betting odds, Saturdays only. 

10 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

An excellent coffee/food stop on the 359 is Coffee Please กบินทร์บุรี (it's on google maps) just before the 359 meets the 33 to Sakaew, about 3hrs from Pattaya.

Prasat Khao Phra Wiharn temple ruins are not available from the Thai side. You Can visit Khao Phra Wiharn National Park with Pha Moo E Daeng cliff, and watch the temple from a distance, but not cross the border!

5 hours ago, tso310 said:

Lets hear it for Phrakhon Chai. Hotel D'Amour, good enough for a Thai Princess to spend the nigh a couple of weeks ago. Air crew in Ban Faa Sai btw. Easy reach to Panom Rung and Muang Tam. 3 farang bar/restaurants and a Lotus Tesco with a KFC (ok I've never used it but the Thais like it). And a chicken fighting stadium with electronic betting odds, Saturdays only. 

yeah but Prakhon Chai is already 4/5th of the whole route

going BACK the route for Phanom Rung is a complete waste of time and fuel

he wants something to split the route by the half and enjoy something that might be around . . like I said this is Aranyaphratet the Rong Kluea Market, or Lahan Sai for a nap and then an early morning climb to the Phanom Rung mountaintop temple

you give me Phrakon Chai for a holiday tour, one or two nights out . . . I am yur man let's get stoned no matter how many klicks

12 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

Khao Phra Vihearn and the Million Bottle Temple in Khun Han  - that's worth a visit AFTER he has reached his destination Sisaket as these places are as far away from Pattaya as Sisaket is.

However that was not his question. He asked for some sightseeing-worthy places ABOUT HALFWAY on the trip from Pattaya to Sisaket, so he could split up the trip into two parts

You also recommended to him going Chachoengsao and on to Buriram first, before visiting Phanom Rung. Well this is a great great detour away from the shortest route between Pattaya and Sisaket. Why would anyone want to do a 200 km detour just to sleep in Buriram, when there are excellent resorts en route about halfway and the opportunity to visit Phanom Rung on the passing by? There are only two routes which are advisable:  joining the 24 via 304 via Kabinburi, or joining the 24 at Prakon Chai  via  348 Sakeo/Thaphraya Pass.  

Going Buriram and visiting the temples afterwards is a ziggzagged route back and forth, costing him a measley 200 km more

I suggest you try Google Maps and the route planner, just to check on my accountability. Which by the way I do not need anymore, as I have driven all possible routes between aformentionend destinations a zillion of times, yet

Also driven the routes you suggest / i suggested many times, and maybe the OP might be interested in what i suggested in my posts, if he doesn't no harm in my suggesting so what's with the attitude.

EDIT: Think you'll find if you plug in pattaya to sisaket in google maps that the route i suggested is the quickest at 7hrs 55hrs and phanom rung isn't that far of that route (having done it recently).  I also suggested Buriram as i've found it to be the better of the towns/cities for accommodation plus i guess i like it.

if you go to Buriram first, and visit Phanom rung next day, the route is:

Pattaya - Buriram  513 km 6h 31min  via Chachoengsao/Kabin Buri

Pattaya-Buriram 417 km 5h 54min  via Sakeo/ Thapraya Pass

(one hundred kilometers less!!)

Buriram to Phanom Rung is  63,1 km  59min

alternative route, sleep in Aranyprathet or Lahan Sai:

Pattaya to Lahan Sai 342 km 5h 5 min via Sakeo

Lahan Sai to Phanom Rung still via shortest route to Sisaket = 24 km !

Lahan Sai to Sisaket  208 km  3h 6min

Phanom Rung to Sisaket 184 km

so if you choose to visit Buriram on this trip, you will have to drive 513 + 63 + 184 = 760km

whilst the route via Sakeo /Thapraya Pass will be 342 + 24 + 208 = 574km

the stayover in Lahan Sai saves you 184 kilometers

On 12/6/2017 at 8:15 AM, crazygreg44 said:

just a quick note:

if you decide to follow member brunolem's advice, then you will have to take the route via Prachinburi/ Kabinburi. This means, 331 to 304 all the way until you hit the 24, then towards Nang Rong

the alternative route I suggested  takes you from the 331 a short stretch of 304, then turn right into 359 to Aranyphrathet

either way, you will have to climb the mountain passes up to the Issan plateau. One is the Tap Lan Forest sanctuary, the other is the Thaphraya Pass 

Agreed. Using that long fast Sakaeow bypass is the fastest way from Chonburi province to the eastern provinces of Lower Isaan if you prefer to drive fast roads fast! Using the more obvious route and carrying on up 304 over the Kabinburi Hills to 24 you end up driving a long section of 24, which until you reach Nang Rong is guaranteed (ok - 50% risk) to give the uninitiated +100km/hr driver a 200 to 400 baht speeding fine. There's a lot of central reservation vegetation to prevent oncoming drivers alerting you to the speed traps! 

No reason not to head up to Buriram if you want to see the sports facilities, but it will add a lot in time using the northern roads through Buriram, Surin and Sisaket provinces. I don't think it's as much as a 200km diversion as one poster states, but it is probably an extra 1-2 hours to drive. Stick to 24 until at least the turn towards Surin. Personally I would stick to 24 until you turn left through Khu Khan.

The quick route from Lahan Sai to Prakonchai is to head north from Lahan Sai on a secondary, but fast road close by Phanom Rung, joining 24 between Nang Rong and Prakhon Chai. To avoid too much boring 24 go through Ban Kruat.  

Aranyaphratet itself is a more interesting stop (about halfway in time) if you have a family like mine that likes cheap markets. The border market is huge (and from my personal viewpoint boring) and the town has some good value stopover opportunities - and the top of the range (for Aranya..) "Indochine" has a decent pool, good breakfast and comfortable rooms at less than 1,000 baht. Also "Thip Kitchen" (a cheap quirky and outstanding Thai food hole in the wall place in the centre of Aranyaprathet) is worth the stopover in its own right. 

The two temples everyone mentions are lovely and should not be missed. The drive through either of the two hill passes is very nice. Highway 24 is boring, but fast. The highly scenic route would be to drive through the main part of Khao Yai National Park itself (you do skirt through Khao Yai's edges going over the Kabinburi hills on 304) for the scenery. That would be a long detour and would make it a two full day journey, but one I have always meant to try.

My route - Jomtien to Meuang Sisaket is attached (but assuming an Aranyaphratet diversion/stopover). Pattaya to Sisaket as recommended by Google is 17 mins quicker (using national speed limits and going via highway 9 up to Chachoengsao, rather than 331). 

[Southern Sisaket dweller and regular Highway 24 / 331 / 304 jockey!]

Sisaket Railway Station to Thanon Jomtiensaineung, Muang Pattaya, Amphoe Bang Lamung, Chang Wat Chon Buri 20150 - Google Maps.pdf

4 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Korat is not halfway, I would say.  It's rather a slight detour if one wants to drive from Pattaya to Sisaket

Archived