Blackberry and blueberry PLANTS

I'm looking to buy some blackberry and blueberry PLANTS (not seeds, I have those already but am having no luck getting them to germinate). 

Does anybody have any links to people in Thailand who sell these plants, or eventually abroad who export to Thailand? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi djayz, what seeds you got? I don't think you will get blueberry to germinate unless you lower your soil ph to around 4.5 to 5.5.
Just happens I got some soil conditioner for blueberries just landed today, it's for me and a mate but I can spare a little if you want to try your seeds again.
I believe there is a blueberry variety called blueberry burst that is from Australia and is available in Thailand but I'm yet to find it.
Adding vinegar to your water before watering is also supposed to help in lowering soil ph and mulching with pine needles also helps.
Starting mine next week so I'll let you know how it goes.
It can take a while for blueberries to germinate.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 12/5/2017 at 6:18 PM, Hutch68 said:

Hi djayz, what seeds you got? I don't think you will get blueberry to germinate unless you lower your soil ph to around 4.5 to 5.5.
Just happens I got some soil conditioner for blueberries just landed today, it's for me and a mate but I can spare a little if you want to try your seeds again.
I believe there is a blueberry variety called blueberry burst that is from Australia and is available in Thailand but I'm yet to find it.
Adding vinegar to your water before watering is also supposed to help in lowering soil ph and mulching with pine needles also helps.

Hi Hutch! Thanks for the kind offer. I've sent you a PM re address. Am more than happy to chip in for it. 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:18 PM, Hutch68 said:

I very much doubt that it would be worthwhile to try raising blueberries from seeds, ,modern varieties are the result of extensive selection. Give it a try anyway!

I'm afraid the 'mulching with pine needles' thing is a complete myth. We did a field trip in a pine forest one time, soil samples taken 10cm deep were alkaline (pH > 7.0).

The only worthwhile way to cultivate blueberries that I found was to cultivate in 100% peat. 'A lot of peat' doesn't work. Alternatively you can add iron and magnesium micro-fertiliser in a form that makes them available to the plant in alkaline soils (iron chelate) at the same time ensuring that other fertilisers are not going to increase the pH value of the soil.

Vinegar in the water? Sounds like a good idea but vinegar also can be used as a weed killer so I'd be cautious about that.

I was under the impression that blueberries prefer a cooler, wetter climate but if you can make it work here all the better.

Blackberry plants will not survive in the climate here.  They need the cold winter temperatures to, germinate, growth, and flowering / fruiting cycle.

They are also an invasive plant.. so if by some chance they did grow they would pose a serious environmental problem after the seeds were spread about by birds.

Easier to go the supermarket and by some frozen ones.

Blackberry plants will not survive in the climate here.  They need the cold winter temperatures to, germinate, growth, and flowering / fruiting cycle.

They are also an invasive plant.. so if by some chance they did grow they would pose a serious environmental problem after the seeds were spread about by birds.

Easier to go the supermarket and by some frozen ones.

Great attitude! Let's not bother to try grow anything, what's the point when we can just buy everything at the supermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Hutch68 said:

Great attitude! Let's not bother to try grow anything, what's the point when we can just buy everything at the supermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The OP can try.  But he will be wasting his money and time.  Other plants will flourish here and would be a better alternative. 

I am only giving practical advise... which the OP asked for.  Not trying to be negative, but its a fact.  I wish I could grow various autumn berries here.. miss them a lot.  And they are more expensive from the supermarket.. and when frozen end up slushy.

Lots of plants and fruits are very easy to grown here.  I did not intent to say not to grown anything and just buy from a supermarket.  In fact, the stuff I do not grow is better bought off a local Thai market.  

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

The OP can try.  But he will be wasting his money and time.  Other plants will flourish here and would be a better alternative. 

I am only giving practical advise... which the OP asked for.  Not trying to be negative, but its a fact.  I wish I could grow various autumn berries here.. miss them a lot.  And they are more expensive from the supermarket.. and when frozen end up slushy.

Lots of plants and fruits are very easy to grown here.  I did not intent to say not to grown anything and just buy from a supermarket.  In fact, the stuff I do not grow is better bought off a local Thai market.  

I understand Jak. Thank you and I appreciate all the advice I receive. 

Honestly, I know it'll be extremely difficult (impossible) to grow them here, but it's the ONE thing my wife wants for Xmas this year - blackberry and blueberry plants so I figured I should at least try to get them for her. LOL

She's growing raspberries and strawberries along with tropical fruit and wants to add these to her "collection". 

Thanks to all the other members who gave up their time to respond. Much appreciate it. 

Good luck and happy growing! 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived