"Epileptic driver" had amphetamines in his system - no bail, will be jailed today

webfact

"Epileptic driver" had amphetamines in his system - no bail, will be jailed today

pp.jpg

Picture: Daily New

The pick-up driver who mowed down more than a dozen people killing two in South Pattaya on Monday morning has been confirmed as having amphetamines in his system.

He originally claimed that he had had an epileptic seizure. His health history and pharmaceutical drugs that were found are part of an ongoing investigation.

Meanwhile social media was abuzz with comments about who Akkradech Udomrat, 44, really is. Daily News confirmed that he is the owner of a beer bar in Walking Street catering to foreigners.

The accident at 7am Monday caused carnage with two people dead and 15 injured. Eight of those are still in hospital but improving.

Many bikes were damaged and a dog was also killed as Akkradech veered to the right in his Isuzu pick-up plowing into oncoming traffic, many of whom were school children on motorcycles.

Pattaya station chief Apichai Krobpetch confirmed yesterday afternoon that a urine test done at Banglamung Hospital came back purple. There were amphetamines in Akkaradech's system but to ascertain if there was anything else the urine sample has now been sent to the lab at national police HQ for further testing.

Apichai said that the driver claimed he was being treated for epilepsy at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital but he had no confirmation of this for the press yesterday.

Contrary to reports on social media no narcotics were found in the pick-up, said the chief, though some unknown pharmaceutical drugs were found and these were sent for examination.

He confirmed that Akkradech has been denied bail and will appear in court today when he is expected to be ordered jailed awaiting trial.

Daily News said that social media hubbub was rife with positive and negative pictures of the suspect being widely shared.

He is said to be the owner of a beer bar on Walking Street in South Pattaya that is not known as a place of drug taking. It is just a regular beer bar like so many others, said the Thai media, that caters to a foreign clientele. It opens and closes according to legal hours.

The remaining injured victims in hospital have been visited and given money by representatives from both public and private sectors, said Daily News.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-06

He is said to be the owner of a beer bar on Walking Street in South Pattaya that is not known as a place of drug taking. It is just a regular beer bar like so many others, said the Thai media, that caters to a foreign clientele. It opens and closes according to legal hours.

Hmmm really?

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Epileptic seizure? Try another one, druggie! Good work by the police.

It is stated on social media that the police tried to cover it up as Akkaradech has connections. And the police initially supported his epileptic fit excuse.

Only when Thai members of the public who were aware of his drug taking and previous history and also an earlier accident kicked up a fuss at Pattaya police station and went on to social media did the Pattaya police change their tune.

So I think it was not good work by the police, rather just expedience. It was no longer worth taking a payoff to cover up Akkaradech's wrongdoing. The heat was too much. The police might lose their lucrative Pattaya positions.

23 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

It is stated on social media that the police tried to cover it up as Akkaradech has connections. And the police initially supported his epileptic fit excuse.

Only when Thai members of the public who were aware of his drug taking and previous history and also an earlier accident kicked up a fuss at Pattaya police station and went on to social media did the Pattaya police change their tune.

So I think it was not good work by the police, rather just expedience. It was no longer worth taking a payoff to cover up Akkaradech's wrongdoing. The heat was too much. The police might lose their lucrative Pattaya positions.

Thanks! Missed that. I stand corrected.

44 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

For us not knowing, can you say more about the connections (I heard his parents are rich), which bar he runs, and if he was in the news before?

(only the facts, no opinion to avoid defamation)

5 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

For us not knowing, can you say more about the connections (I heard his parents are rich), which bar he runs, and if he was in the news before?

(only the facts, no opinion to avoid defamation)

Some of the media have named the bar and you can also hear him say the name of the bar to police in the video.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Good work by the police.

Pattaya police do not do good work unless they are paid extra.  What's good about being called to the scene of a horrific accident and taking a blood sample off a drugged up driver?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Many bikes were damaged and a dog was also killed as Akkradech veered to the right in his Isuzu pick-up plowing into oncoming traffic, many of whom were school children on motorcycles.

I am in no way condoning the driver for his actions........but this sentence is written as if they had every right to be there. Yes, I understand the Thai system, third world country etc., and often families have no other choice, but this problem needs to addressed as a matter of urgency. I was not at the scene, so I am only surmising,  but how many older and experienced riders could have seen what was happening and taken evasive action. 

RIP to the deceased, and speedy recovery to the injured...:sad:

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

"And the police initially supported his epileptic fit excuse."   (my italics)

All too often the Police make public announcements without proper investigations. Perhaps sometimes to 'protect' the guilty and or their families? :whistling:

Good on the public for speaking up in this case. This needs to happen more often to reduce the chances of 'protection'. Name and shame!

Sounds like more information coming out of "social media" these days than news channels.  Also, not that it will happen but further blood and urine tests should be done at a hospital and not the police station!  Who is handling and assuring it is "HIS" urine and blood? Pattaya Police?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

There were amphetamines in Akkaradech's system but to ascertain if there was anything else the urine sample has now been sent to the lab at national police HQ for further testing.

Daddy's money at work.

They will find some legal medication in the sample as well, and it will be ruled that the amphetamines were not the cause.

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

I am in no way condoning the driver for his actions........but this sentence is written as if they had every right to be there. Yes, I understand the Thai system, third world country etc., and often families have no other choice, but this problem needs to addressed as a matter of urgency. I was not at the scene, so I am only surmising,  but how many older and experienced riders could have seen what was happening and taken evasive action. 

Having watched the video several times I am sure that Lewis Hamilton would have taken a successful evasive action. Sadly none of the schoolkids affected shared the same name and surname. The madman was going like a missile!

21 minutes ago, hobobo said:

The madman was going like a missile!

You have put it "in a nutshell".

Age/experience/"defensive" driving is no protection in a country of rogue drivers who are, in effect, aiming for you.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Could be true. But then we can't believe everything on social media either, even when it's the music we love to hear. The original article here just said the man told police the epileptic excuse. Note they immediately tested him for alcohol. They also searched his truck. The perp would try the connections angle, but what Thai doesn't. Cops are used to that. Yes, it does work sometimes. I haven't looked at social media but it seems routine that they'd test him for drugs at the station. I wonder what the evidence for an attempted cover up really is? 'Course here we need no evidence to engage in conspiracy theories, 'cause we know.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

That caught my eyes too Ah , but were the children on motorcycles sitting behind mum or riding them.   The 2 girls next door to me get taken to school by mum then she comes back as she needs the bike for her work.   BUT , go to any school at going home time and most pupils that don't go home on the bus ride their bikes and 9/10 riders don't wear a crash hat.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I believe you assume  schoolchildren drive themselves to school here on motorcycles.  I do not see that happening anywhere here, but if it does, it is a rarity. I have seen school children on motorcycles after school hours, but never going to or from school.

It is already strictly forbidden here by the school’s policies (at least in my daughters school).

My 18 year old daughter has her own motorcycle, is trained by both a Thai motorcycle school and with my ongoing training with her where we practice additional defensive evasive motorcycle survival techniques including drivers coming at you head on.  It took about 6 months before I felt she was ready to ride here on her own. She has worked and practiced hard to earn her appropriate motorcycle license and insurance, more than most her age.  Even with all that, the school does not allow her to drive herself to school, requiring her to take alternate transportation daily.

If your point is to oppose schoolchildren riding as passengers on motorcycles without helmets, I strongly agree.

Seeing the never ending carnage here always sickens me. The poor safety attitude on the roads, and police ignoring these issues while focusing on fleecing the Falang, is the biggest problem to positive change. Everything from the annoying loud pipes, crazy driving, fleeing the scene, and size has right of way incidents will ensure we will see this tragedy repeat itself for years to come. 

(Big sigh...)

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Pattaya police do not do good work unless they are paid extra.  What's good about being called to the scene of a horrific accident and taking a blood sample off a drugged up driver?

What´s good is that they do what they should do, and therefore shouldn´t be mocked by you.

Archived