Why the Mist Nets?

BrownShrike

Does anyone know what's the deal behind the tremendous amounts of mist nets put up? Those that live near open grasslands that is. I was told to keep birds away from destroying different types of crops but I was also told to trap certain birds for consumption. The confusing part is that you see birds that don't even eat rice/vegetables/fruit trapped and dead on the nets. Last time I saw a lady walk to the net and club which I believe was a hawk that got trapped. You will also see dead birds that have been trapped for weeks stuck on the nets. 

Both, I think. When I lived in Surin the rice farmers said they put them up to catch munia but of course all manner of species get caught up and some get collected and eaten and others just left.  Where I Iive now fish farmers put them up and say cormorant are their main target.  But I also find them a lot near migrant labor camps in mangrove areas and those are definitely for food collection. 

7 minutes ago, AjarnNorth said:

Both, I think. When I lived in Surin the rice farmers said they put them up to catch munia but of course all manner of species get caught up and some get collected and eaten and others just left.  Where I Iive now fish farmers put them up and say cormorant are their main target.  But I also find them a lot near migrant labor camps in mangrove areas and those are definitely for food collection. 

I agree completely with the above post. I would go further with the migrant labour camps and say they will put up mist nets anywhere to catch birds for the cooking pot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 6:25 PM, BrownShrike said:

So I am guessing the animal protection laws are not enforced much here. A few months ago I was feeding a few local birds that would visit my garden daily, I'm guessing a few got trapped around the area as I haven't seen them anymore.

Enforced? Ha. No. Not even much in protected areas. As to your yardbids you were feeding, depends much on where you are and what species. Migration period so they may have just Moved on.

The nets are illegal and should be reported. Because the nets do not discriminate, they also kill endangered and protected species. Lack of education and enforcement facilitates this stupidity. Many of those birds are insectivores and are an integral part of controlling plant pests and rodents. Killing the birds and the bats means the locals must use more pesticides and poisons. In the long run it costs the locals more.

Geriatrickid: I definitely agree with you, sadly I don't think the locals care. I do also remember seeing bats stuck as well. Last week we had heavy winds which helped knock some of the mist nets down. A few days ago, I saw locals putting up even more mist nets. They were put at every entrance leading to their lotus field. I don't think authorities care since they drive down the same road at times. 

I must admit I have, under cover of darkness, gone out and cut down mist nets. I found it was better to physically take away the mist net with me otherwise it tended to be tied back up again the next day.

When I told some Thais I trusted what I had done, they warned me to be very careful as my actions could lead me to being badly beaten.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:25 PM, BrownShrike said:

So I am guessing the animal protection laws are not enforced much here. A few months ago I was feeding a few local birds that would visit my garden daily, I'm guessing a few got trapped around the area as I haven't seen them anymore.

The poverty and malnutrition of the Thais was so extreme that is why insect eating was introduced in the 60s. And the Chinese eat anything.

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, geriatrickid said:

The nets are illegal and should be reported. Because the nets do not discriminate, they also kill endangered and protected species. Lack of education and enforcement facilitates this stupidity. Many of those birds are insectivores and are an integral part of controlling plant pests and rodents. Killing the birds and the bats means the locals must use more pesticides and poisons. In the long run it costs the locals more.

Who do we report the nets to?

Will they listen to a farang reporting the nets, or just laugh at us?

As for costing the locals more...... yes, that is the usual way... shortsighted as per usual.  They have not got the brains and are too lazy to care about the future.  Or, the Buddhist ways they hold so dead.. like not causing suffering or killing animals.  

Just the general human condition sadly... but its condensed into near madness here.

Briggsy: I admit it as well, I have done the same. I've managed to rescue a few birds trapped on the mist nets before, most of them had either a wing or leg broken from hanging too long. My wife said the same, if locals see me walking into their property and rescuing the birds, there could be some problems. I've noticed some locals here have even gotten smart about where they place them. They place them in lotus ponds filled with water at about 4 feet high, making it difficult for people to get to them plus the ponds are filled with leeches.

It's quite sad really to see birds that have nothing to do with their property or crops stuck on the nets. They were just trying to fly by. I'm not sure what harm a hawk will do to their crops or a kingfisher will do on a dry rice field.

Archived