Chiang Mai makes preparations for 2018's haze hazards

webfact

Chiang Mai makes preparations for 2018's haze hazards

CHIANG MAI, 7 December 2017 (NNT) – Chiang Mai province is making preparations to prevent and mitigate possible haze hazards during next year's dry season. 

Provincial Governor of Chiang Mai Pawin Chamniprasart attended a meeting on the natural disaster prevention and mitigation with officials of related government agencies, the military, and 22 other provinces. 

According to the Ministry of Interior, 69 provinces have been declared as forest fire hazardous areas for which the authorities are yet to prepare necessary measures to prevent and mitigate such possible disasters by carrying out necessary drills and preparations, and studying previous operations in order to improve the performances. 

Provincial authorities were instructed to adhere to the integrated protocols in different areas such as forest reserves, farmland, residential and urban areas, and roadside areas. Each province and district was instructed to set up a commanding center to manage to respond and inform the public about ways and means to reduce haze hazards. 

They were instructed to promote the reduction in burning activities during dry season, work with villages on fire prevention measures and set up funding to support operations.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-12-07

Why can't they simply make it illegal to burn forests and farmland?  Then when people do start the burning, the police can go and arrest / fine them.  

They have already started burning the rice fields around my home... right under large signs saying it was not allowed to burn.. and a number to call if people saw any burning.....  

They make the same noises and promises every year,BUT nothing changes,

people are been fined heavily for smoking on the beaches,but it seems  

farmers etc,are just allowed to affect everyone in the area with impunity.

regards worgeordie

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Why can't they simply make it illegal to burn forests and farmland?  Then when people do start the burning, the police can go and arrest / fine them.  

They have already started burning the rice fields around my home... right under large signs saying it was not allowed to burn.. and a number to call if people saw any burning.....  

Did you call the police ?

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes you are absolutely right. 

I have heard this word many times when someone tries to justify a wrong doing: "but this is Thailand". 

There is a sign written+graphic that indicates "no dogs allowed" at my mooban little park (part of it is children Ground ). I see dogs+walkers in that park everyday. 

As a reminder for that word. 

Folk in Asia where burning their fields before Buddha, the only cheap way to fertilize their lands, easy for people from rich nations to critique. 

Memory says CM uni did a study, published on Thai Visa, on just why the pollution had become a serious mater in CM in last 20 odd years.

Some years bad others relatively mild.

john

Only its not an effective method of fertilizing. Especially with so many crops per year. One can be a legume and away you go. Meanwhile the rice straw, corn stover or sugar cane bagasse can be made into paper.

But yeah, slash and burn is as old as the hills.

15 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I have more sense than that. 

Why didnt you call the number ?

The number is there for you to call , if you call that number , they will (in theory) come and put the fire out and take action against who ever started it .

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The number is there for you to call , if you call that number , they will (in theory) come and put the fire out and take action against who ever started it .

Quite funny, these "in theory" folks.

5 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Quite funny, these "in theory" folks.

It does actually work .

The fire brigade do attend and put fires out and the authorities find out who owns the field and take action .

If the field is deep in the mountains with no road access , they probably will not be able to attend

23 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes.  And the farmer / landowner, and every one in my village will know it was me who called the number to report him.... can you imagine that would make my life easy to live here?

48 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes.  And the farmer / landowner, and every one in my village will know it was me who called the number to report him.... can you imagine that would make my life easy to live here?

How would they know that it was you ?

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

How would they know that it was you ?

Because living in a village it is impossible to keep anything secret here. 

Someone calling up the number and speaking in English, or in Thai with an English accent, from the area where they are reporting the burning...  and I am one of only a handful of farangs living in that area. Won't take them long to put 2 and 2 together.  

My point is that from the hundreds of Thai people driving past the burning every day..  not one will call the number... as they are not bothered by it.. they would not care if they were breathing in deadly toxic fumes... too lazy and / or ignorant to do anything about it.  So if the Thai population does not care.. even when they are coughing and sneezing.. or ending up in hospital with breathing problems.... I can't see how drawing up more and more plans to prevent the burning will have any effect.

The powers that be either need to get serious and strict with the burning, imposing heavy fines and criminal charges, or they might as well forget about it.  What they are doing at the moment is just making noise... to be seen to be doing something... when in fact they are doing nothing.  Easy way out as usual.  

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

My point is that from the hundreds of Thai people driving past the burning every day..  not one will call the number... as they are not bothered by it..

How do you know that no one called the number and that no one is bothered by it ?

There have been numerous complaints by Thais against the burning and they dislike the pollution just as much as the felangs .

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

The powers that be either need to get serious and strict with the burning, imposing heavy fines and criminal charges, or they might as well forget about it.  What they are doing at the moment is just making noise... to be seen to be doing something... when in fact they are doing nothing.  Easy way out as usual.  

There have been the fire brigade out putting fires out , in the north around CM anyway .

If you are too scared to telephone the number that they have asked you to phone when people make fires , its little wonder that they cannot do anything

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

How do you know that no one called the number and that no one is bothered by it ?

There have been numerous complaints by Thais against the burning and they dislike the pollution just as much as the felangs .

But I see and cough up all the smoke every morning.
Where are they to complain? Am I the only one who feels REALLY DISTURBED?

Archived