Police join soldiers in Pattaya karaoke sting operation - female extortionist nabbed

webfact

Police join soldiers in Pattaya karaoke sting operation - female extortionist nabbed

1pm.jpg

Picture Pattaya News

A woman was arrested yesterday after she tried to extort 25,000 baht from a karaoke lounge.

Named as "Angelina Rice", 43, she had earlier gone to the owner of the Te Hak Karaoke and Pub in Bang Lamung demanding 25,500 baht in protection money that she said would be paid to the military.

The karaoke owner Anan sae-Fang, 27, knew the woman from before and suspected that it was a con. She recorded the meeting on audio.

And she went to Pattaya police instead who set up a sting with the military.

The notes to be handed over were photographed before for evidence purposes and a meeting was arranged near the karaoke lounge.

The fraudster turned up with her 21 year old boyfriend and a ladyboy and were soon in custody after the money was handed over.

"Angelina" denied it all saying that the money was owed to her by the owner of the lounge.

Police dismissed that as nonsense and she was taken in to Pattaya police station. Her companions had their photos taken and details recorded and were released.

Police said that if other establishments had fallen victim to the con they should come forward.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-07

Sadly, it is only because the BIB are so blatantly corrupt and do take lots of "protection" money, that a scam like this has any credibility. I will be most surprised if the lady ever sees her 25,000 back, that has most likely been seized as "evidence." Thailand, hub of cons.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sadly, it is only because the BIB are so blatantly corrupt and do take lots of "protection" money,

Totally agree.  As a regular Quiz team member + pool player, I visit a lot of bars.  I ask owners about protection money.  ALL said they pay.  The worst case was a French guy (known personally to me) on Kao Talo - he was paying 24K per MONTH.  He closed when he did not make enough to pay.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Totally agree.  As a regular Quiz team member + pool player, I visit a lot of bars.  I ask owners about protection money.  ALL said they pay.  The worst case was a French guy (known personally to me) on Kao Talo - he was paying 24K per MONTH.  He closed when he did not make enough to pay.

Yep. I knew a Dutch guy that owned the pool/restaurant on Khao Talo next to Eakmongkol 4.

The cops extorted him out of business & it was just a place for kids to play!

Archived