Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 May 2019 10:59

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thai govt pledges great effort on road safety

Recommended Posts

Government pledges great effort on road safety

By The Nation

 

7143bb383f54f28356ac77064cf70118-sld.jpe

 

With road accidents blamed for 20,000 deaths and Bt500 billion in financial losses every year, the government has vowed to invest in safety measures.


“We will revise the budget laws to ensure that local administrative bodies can make the utmost use of their financial resources in accident prevention,” Deputy Interior Minister Sutee Makboon announced at Bangkok a seminar on Wednesday.

 

The Road Safety Policy Foundation and the Road Safety Thailand Centre organised the two-day seminar in collaboration with other agencies.

 

The “Invest for Sustainable Road Safety” seminar, ending today, drew more than 1,500 participants.

 

Sutee emphasised that the government had made it a mission to reduce road accidents. It has banned speeding, driving while drunk or drowsy and use of mobile phones while driving and encouraged the use of crash helmets and safety belts.

 

“We will increase our investments in road safety,” Sutee pledged.

 

He said Road Safety Thailand Centre branches would play a key role, collaborating with local authorities in solving traffic problems.

“We have also assigned the Labour Ministry to increase its safety officials’ roles to boost safety,” he said.

 

Sutee said road accidents were responsible for half the deaths of social-security recipients.

 

“We will also improve law enforcement,” he said. The penalty for drunk driving might be increased, and the speed limit in urban areas could be set at 50 kilometres an hour.

 

As well, enhanced safety functions like anti-brake systems could be made mandatory for all motorcycles.

 

“We will also require that children be taught about road safety beginning in kindergarten,” he said.

 

He said the Road Safety Thailand Centre would work with academic institutions and other agencies in studying the cause of accidents and recommending preventive measures.

 

Road Safety Group Thailand manager Dr Tanapong Chinwong noted that the United Nations had declared 2011-2020 the Decade of Action for Road Safety.

 

“UN members, including Thailand, are encouraged to try to halve road fatalities,” he said.

 

Across the world, road accidents kill 1.3 million people every year and injure more than 50 million others.

 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30333386

 
thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, webfact said:

“We will also require that children be taught about road safety beginning in kindergarten,” he said.

one of the few things here that makes sense, long term; curious saying that as Education is not his ministry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

one of the few things here that makes sense, long term; curious saying that as Education is not his ministry

image.jpeg.b3cb5c2f4d63e3f223d56cc20feb9539.jpeggood idea...... start 'em young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll believe it when I see it, The Gov. aren't interested in how many plebs die...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would not cost one single baht more if the BIBs would carry out their duties instead of sitting in their air conditioned booths playing with their mobiles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rebo said:

It would not cost one single baht more if the BIBs would carry out their duties instead of sitting in their air conditioned booths playing with their mobiles.

Rip the air-con out of these places, making them intolerably hot, so they have to go outside and do something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thai govt pledges great effort on road safety.

 

777.....yeah, that'll work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Sutee emphasised that the government had made it a mission to reduce road accidents. It has banned speeding, driving while drunk or drowsy and use of mobile phones while driving and encouraged the use of crash helmets and safety belts.

 

Then tell the BiB to get out there and do something about it. ENCOURAGED the use of helmets and seat belts......That is also the law but it is not enforced....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an opportunity for the leadership to change the life of every Thai and generations to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rebo said:

It would not cost one single baht more if the BIBs would carry out their duties instead of sitting in their air conditioned booths playing with their mobiles.

I almost disagree with you, it would be revenue positive, so rather than costing money it would put more Baht into government coffers. As a side effect it might save the government money in the health and social security budgets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blah Blah... Pledge Pledge...

When they stop putting the issue on the Public and start pointing the finger at the Police, nothing will change

 

The only thing that needs overhauling is the Police

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

I'll believe it when I see it, The Gov. aren't interested in how many plebs die...

Spot on. Let the labourers, farmers, sex workers, shop workers die on the roads. Keep them uneducated and poor, keep them thick, don't encourage them to be smart and not drink too much........ Then they'll be more for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webfact said:

As well, enhanced safety functions like anti-brake systems could be made mandatory for all motorcycles.

 

“We will also require that children be taught about road safety beginning in kindergarten,” he said.

anti-brake systems? i believe that's already the default as riders here seem to think that brakes are optional in a motorcycle (cars as well). so no systems needed for that. as for starting in kindergarten... better start with the parents. anyway, the whole news seems too early for april 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, webfact said:

With road accidents blamed for 20,000 deaths and Bt500 billion in financial losses every year, the government has vowed to invest in safety measures.

and suddenly the blinders were lifted when they realized how much more money could be coming their way...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...