Thai govt pledges great effort on road safety

webfact

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Action as the country becomes the No1 for the deadliest drivers and deadliest roads in the world, but you and I know this means sod all, come Jan 8th and the count up will be lower as one would expect with this lot at the helm, but in real life it will be higher.

So I suppose if I do not see you posting in Jan, it was your turn this year, me, I know where I an better off.

You drive with extra care over these next 4 weeks, as I have lost enough friends already.

"No1 for the deadliest drivers and deadliest roads in the world,"

not true Thailand has the 2nd highest death rare per 100k population. It doesn't follow that the drivers are the "deadliest" or even the roads...

Yet again...if you are driving a 4 wheel  private vehicle, you are at about as much risk of death as on the roads of USA.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/7/2017 at 11:47 AM, webfact said:

We will also improve law enforcement,” he said. The penalty for drunk driving might be increased, and the speed limit in urban areas could be set at 50 kilometres an hour.

the penalty for dui  MIGHT be increased.....why state MIGHT.....should read WILL BE INCREASED.....THESE GUYS ARE COMPLETE JOKERS

2 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

the penalty for dui  MIGHT be increased.....why state MIGHT.....should read WILL BE INCREASED.....THESE GUYS ARE COMPLETE JOKERS

Glad to meet another angler. Watch those capital letters!

20 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Air the only problem that has to be fixed is the cops Made them enforce the law and the road deaths might drop Tell u a funny this morning You have to see this to believe it I was travelling home after my bike ride with my bike in the back of the pick-up I was sitting on about 70 klm Speed limit is 80 Klm  Ok  The highway patrol car passed me and crossed back into my lane Left lane i was in Cars came down the right lane and they were moving I would say doing about 120klm  Highway speed I was doing 70klm and i reckon the cop car was sitting on about 80klm He never made one attempt to pull them over  I just shook my head So what is that telling the thai drivers Its cool to speed because the cops wont do anything. Might as well put Mary Poppins behind the steering wheel of the cop car because at least Mary might of hit them over the head with her umbrella for speeding.

"Thank You!"

13 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

This again shows that both the law and police training are nowhere near ready to enforce the law. Which I believe if stated by a "competent police officer" is all that is needed in that situation. V. regarding changing the priority from the left rule and other temporary changes.

The point being that it is all very well asking officers to enforce the law, but on many occasions the law is an assignment, uninforceable and needs to be extensively reformed before it can contribute to road safety.

PS how do you know it was calibrated?

I absolutely don't know if it was or not. It's just the speed measured matched my cruise control setting  (I know, it's a dangerous device on Thai roads, but I often drive long distances and use it when the traffic is sparse). Having used a car club radar gun for a few years, they seem to need very little calibration anyway (except for legality).

One thing they need to do in Pattaya is start enforcing the no parking zones around intersections. I live at the Village on 3rd Road Pattaya across from the Pattaya City Hospital, and everyday/all day cars are parked in no parking zones on both sides of 3rd Road. You can not see traffic because of the illegally parked vehicles. You have to pull out into traffic taking up one of the two lanes of traffic just to see the cross traffic. There have been several bad accidents in this area due to illegally parked cars. Pattaya police just drive by and never enforce the no parking zones that are clearly marked in red and white. Pattaya has a big problem with this and double parking, police just drive by. I have never seen a car towed for parking illegally. The Police would make so much revenue if they enforced this law 

21 hours ago, tootall said:

One thing they need to do in Pattaya is start enforcing the no parking zones around intersections. I live at the Village on 3rd Road Pattaya across from the Pattaya City Hospital, and everyday/all day cars are parked in no parking zones on both sides of 3rd Road. You can not see traffic because of the illegally parked vehicles. You have to pull out into traffic taking up one of the two lanes of traffic just to see the cross traffic. There have been several bad accidents in this area due to illegally parked cars. Pattaya police just drive by and never enforce the no parking zones that are clearly marked in red and white. Pattaya has a big problem with this and double parking, police just drive by. I have never seen a car towed for parking illegally. The Police would make so much revenue if they enforced this law 

I know the area you're talking about.  What your saying is spot on.  In the past I have raced cars and bikes track and some street (I know, stupid)  i have driven a little here.  In BKK, Issan and Pattaya.  No more.  No way.  <deleted> that!!! I stay out of the roads as much as possible.

I was "dying" to get a nice road bike for the longest time.  No way.  Anyway anything will be an improvement.  It can't get much worse.

I've seen more wrecks with fatalities living in Thailand for three years than I've seen in my life.

Too many close calls really cured me.  last year the typical father driving, with the "baby airbag" and wife on the back pulled out of Friendship market on Pattaya Tai.  They wound up under a Bhat bus.  Just a moan and stream of blood flowing out.  Couldn't see much with all the "photographers" pretty grim.

Archived