Thai govt pledges great effort on road safety

webfact

13 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Fingers crossed,

until all Public buses/Passenger vans/Tuk-tuks are set to speed limit 60 KM/hour.

Bikes set to 40KM/hour.

Own Cars/Taxis to 80 KM/hour.

Anything would help but speed controllers or limiters have it's limit.  Set any vehicle at any speed but if a car takes a 30 KM/H at 60, doesn't work. If the vehicle travels 60 on a Soi when the traffic is crawling at 30 doesn't work. Like a gun it isn't he gun that kills it is the person behind the gun, same concept for a vehicle?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, webfact said:

“We will revise the budget laws to ensure that local administrative bodies can make the utmost use of their financial resources in accident prevention,” Deputy Interior Minister Sutee Makboon announced at Bangkok a seminar on Wednesday.

Sutee emphasised that the government had made it a mission to reduce road accidents. It has banned speeding, driving while drunk or drowsy and use of mobile phones while driving and encouraged the use of crash helmets and safety belts.

“We will increase our investments in road safety,” Sutee pledged.

A seminar, attended by a whopping 1,500 people and with the usual sort of banner headline that means totally nothing: We will revise the budget laws to ensure that local administrative bodies can make the utmost use of their financial resources in accident prevention. As we drive along, we can rest easy knowing the budget laws are being revised. Does this mean better policing, I wonder, or maybe even worse policing, given that the longer Thai cops get used to fiddling with their smart-phones, the harder it will be to 'boss' them, up off their asses and into their patrol cars, where they might stand a chance of catching a speedster, sleeper or mobile user? As regards helmets and safety belts, I understood they were compulsory, already. Now, the dynamic Mr Sutee is going to encourage their use . . . I think that his good chum, Sweep, could do a better job than this wet lettuce.

And, as for “We will increase our investments in road safety,” until this is done - and it's already 5 years overdue - Thailand will remain the planet's deadliest road-user and next year will boast the same dreadful total - 20,000 dead or more, unless figures are tweaked, of course.

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Rip the air-con out of these places, making them intolerably hot, so they have to go outside and do something.

Yes, the "go outside and do something" would mean walking to the nearest 7/11 with air-con and ordering a coffee so hot that it takes 2 hours to drink on the premises.

Thailand already has pretty good laws in effect.  What is urgently needed is increased and improved law enforcement and a raising of the penalties for offenders.  I've already seen many accidents where someone speeds through a light that just changed to red and hits another vehicle or person going on the opposite green light.  The fine for this is 400 baht.  But if you smoke on Pattaya beach, it could be a 100,000 baht fine.  Doesn't make any sense.  

3 hours ago, rebo said:

It would not cost one single baht more if the BIBs would carry out their duties instead of sitting in their air conditioned booths playing with their mobiles.

Are you sure that it is their mobiles that they play with??

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Thai govt pledges great effort on road safety.

777.....yeah, that'll work.

hahaha haha ....oh stop it ...haha haha haha haha ...it hurts  ,  oh stop hahaha hahaha hahh hahab please , hahaha cant take any more  haha haha ha 

Slogans from my childhood:

"Speed Kills"

"Death is so Permanent"
"Better arrive Late than be 'the late...'   "

"Belt up, check mirrors, indicate, start motor'

to which should be added   - "phone off!"

24 minutes ago, rickb said:

Thailand already has pretty good laws in effect.  What is urgently needed is increased and improved law enforcement and a raising of the penalties for offenders.  I've already seen many accidents where someone speeds through a light that just changed to red and hits another vehicle or person going on the opposite green light.  The fine for this is 400 baht.  But if you smoke on Pattaya beach, it could be a 100,000 baht fine.  Doesn't make any sense.  

Why would it make sense, this IS Thailand. 

4 hours ago, rebo said:

It would not cost one single baht more if the BIBs would carry out their duties instead of sitting in their air conditioned booths playing with their mobiles.

Totally agree. Not to even mentioned in this long lunch of drinking and eating so called experts at tax payers expense with" blah blah blah".

NO. 1 to solve it. Get the cops off their fat,,,A,,ss and do patrols on Thai streets  rather than watch Thai boxing at the cop shop,  especially in areas where many accidents happen and then book the offender heavily and or gaol them. Not pussy foot stuff such as to have kids sing a Thai anthem for not wearing a helmet, as was mentioned in a previous report, and allow them off! Plus the cop was praised in Thai social media!. What a joke!.

22 minutes ago, rickb said:

I have been on the receiving end of one of "those" drivers who went flying through a red light in his pick up and knocked me into next week and am now living with  crippled hand for the rest of my life, but thankfully, I still have a life to live, sadly many are not as lucky as I was. The guy in question walked away scott free after our "Police meeting" to discuss compensation etc. of course the guy said he was out of work and had no money, go figure! BTW, the red light he went through was red for at least 3 seconds before he came flying through at around 160km/hr, all caught on camera as well.

11 minutes ago, Kiteboy57 said:

I have been on the receiving end of one of "those" drivers who went flying through a red light in his pick up and knocked me into next week and am now living with  crippled hand for the rest of my life, but thankfully, I still have a life to live, sadly many are not as lucky as I was. The guy in question walked away scott free after our "Police meeting" to discuss compensation etc. of course the guy said he was out of work and had no money, go figure! BTW, the red light he went through was red for at least 3 seconds before he came flying through at around 160km/hr, all caught on camera as well.

hope your life has happier days my friend.

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Thailand Road Safety 400.0

Four hundred point zero. Sadly there is no point.

It's all hot air we have all heard before.

It's the government that needs to teach the population to change their thinking. As we all know the government isn't interested in doing it in reality.

As soon as the government get the population to think for themselves, the population will then realise what a rubbish deal they're getting from the government.

That will eventually cause massive unrest, so better to keep the population dumbed down.

That's my two cents worth anyway...

Just now, Stoker58 said:

Here's a suggestion. How about if police pay was linked to road deaths in each area. Every death in a district results in a 5% penalty on pay for the next month. That would motivate them.

Or more likely as they have been doing, under-report the deaths.

3 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Here is an Opportunity for the leadership to change the life of every Thai and generations to come.

Yes, don't stop there. I was OK til' the 'O' word reared its ugly head. What happens from there . . . this being Thailand? Opportunities, in Thailand, is like the western game of snakes and ladders . . . as fast as you put them up, some other twerp will chop 'em down.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the Road Safety Thailand Centre would work with academic institutions and other agencies in studying the cause of accidents and recommending preventive measures.

So what has been happening up until now.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

With road accidents blamed for 20,000 deaths and Bt500 billion in financial losses every year, the government has vowed to invest in safety measures.

This is a no brainer.

3 hours ago, thhMan said:

Blah Blah... Pledge Pledge...

When they stop putting the issue on the Public and start pointing the finger at the Police, nothing will change

The only thing that needs overhauling is the Police

....And driver training and testing.

Pledges and Promises will not save a single life.   The only things that will work are Police enforcing Road Traffic Laws properly, stiff penalties for all offenders and Education, Education, Education.    Don't bet on any of these things happening anytime in our lifetime !

27 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

Here's a suggestion. How about if police pay was linked to road deaths in each area. Every death in a district results in a 5% penalty on pay for the next month. That would motivate them.

They would be broke the first week. 

19 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

So what has been happening up until now.

This is a no brainer.

Yes it is a no brainer,  but don't expect any brains to be applied to curing the number of deaths. 

Archived