Thai govt pledges great effort on road safety

webfact

All the above statements, we are all well aware of. Will it change? I very much doubt it. However, I will add my three pennies worth. In the last month, five motorbikes ridden in quite a reasonable way, have come a cropper just outside my house. Very fortunately it only amounted to cuts and scrapes, with no other vehicle involved. The reason for these mishaps? The disgusting state of the road. There are sections of about a meter or two, where the level of the road has sunk by 4 or 5 centimeters alongside its adjoining section. The drain covers have sunk and are very unstable thus making it a danger to all wheeled vehicles. Because M/bs will not go over them, they vere out and could very easily run into a passing car. There are countless other roads which are in equaly bad states of repair throughout the country, which contribute to the daily accidents and deaths. Most of the problems are avoidable if the money was spent on proper road laying, instead of crap materials being used and the remainder trousered by the local municipal entity. All these problems can be fixed, but it must start at the top. Unfortunately those at the top have no idea of where to start. As has been said, words are cheap.  

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cookieqw said:

It has banned speeding, driving while drunk or drowsy and use of mobile phones while driving and encouraged the use of crash helmets and safety belts.

better to replace the words “ banned “ & “ encouraged “ with Enforced maybe ? 

Enforced, enforced- next joke for the week please.  

5 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I'll believe it when I see it, The Gov. aren't interested in how many plebs die...

Indeed. More than 80 percent of all road deaths are motorcycles riders: mostly poor people. My son has a few rich spoiled friends who drive expensive cars from age 15 because their parents judge that driving motorcycles is too dangerous. They, of course, are a danger to this motorcycles.

Pledge pledge pledge, money money money... blah blah blah.... never changed a thing yet

They have all the road laws they need in place now.. they just need to ENFORCE them!!

Stop giving roadside fines... that has to stop immediately!

Record the drivers/riders ID/vehicle details and give them a written ticket to go to the local station within 12 hours with their licence, insurance & vehicle roadworthy ticket.
Pay the appropriate fine at the station, where it is recorded on a national data-base.

Introduce a nation-wide licence point system whereby minor infringements incur 3 points on your licence

5 points for more severe infringements...

points stay on your licence for 3 years from date of issue... accumulate 12 points automatic one year ban!!!

Drink driving automatic one year ban/jail time and a heavy fine.

Drive while banned equals heavy fine/jail time.

Eventually people will realise they cannot do as they wish on the roads & just get a minimal fine... it has serious consequences!!!

Lastly get the police out on the road 24 hours a day... checking all traffic especially at pub/bar/club closing times

do spot checks on every street corner if necessary !!!

Time to get tough and stop the carnage!!!

All they want to do is make it easier for police to collect money from people.  They don't want stuff corrected or fixed.  Otherwise they couldn't get more money from them later on.

(anti-lock brake system, not anti brake system)

4 hours ago, thhMan said:

Blah Blah... Pledge Pledge...

When they stop putting the issue on the Public and start pointing the finger at the Police, nothing will change

The only thing that needs overhauling is the Police

Sorry, but you are wrong, it is not the police that needs overhauling it is the "b****y" government for not getting off their ass and supplying the police with decent equipment (cars and bikes) and making the police get out on the roads and do their jobs properly and without coffee money

1 hour ago, wavemanwww said:

hope your life has happier days my friend.

yep i feel sorry for you mate  It is sad when idiots like that get off Scott free But you are alive Shows you wot sort of cops we got here Idiot should of went to jail How can you have laws when you you cant even enforce them? Did he say sorry to you Or did you get the wai?

5 minutes ago, genericptr said:

It's already 50k/hour where I live and cars still speed past going 90 right in front of the police box. All day, every day and I've never seen a single policer officer bother to do anything even once.

They never will To busy sitting in the air con watching tV

I saw somewhere where the police were asking for an increase in their budget to be able to buy E-Ticket machines. I think that these machines are for doing electronic bookings which would be a good thing once the police are given decent vehicles (both cars and bikes) to patrol the roads 24 hours a day, but I would say that the fines not be paid at the local police station but be paid into a central bank account that can be paid at any bank, thus no policeman touches the money. One of the other things that I would be jumping on and that is there is no address on the license, even though there is record at the Land Transport Office, but I have been living in this house for 1 year now and the landlord has owned this house for over 5 years but I am still receiving mail addressed to here for the previous owner and some of the mail is from traffic offenses. So how do you know who lives where if they will not change their addresses. This is another big problem that needs to be looked at

Dare I suggest the lasting solution? Learn from the film "The Mouse that Roared".

There is no hope for this country unless a benign power conquers and colonises it! 

Before the "if you don't like it the way it is, go home" brigade give me a hard time - yes, I accept that in the long run it will spoil everything we expats like about it, but hopefully most of us will be dead by then! Hopefully not by traffic accident.

so I see a bit about enforcement and a bit about education....nothing about th other aspects, so it would seem as ever they don't know what they are doing and even if they practice what they preach, they will only get a minimal improvement at best.....all very exasperating, really

2 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

so I see a bit about enforcement and a bit about education....nothing about th other aspects, so it would seem as ever they don't know what they are doing and even if they practice what they preach, they will only get a minimal improvement at best.....all very exasperating, really

Yes the new education and enforcement is the new comic books that will be supplied to all the junior police and the enforcement is some of the senior police ensuring the junior police read the comics while playing with the traffic light controls

Without a doubt the greatest lie ever told by a Thai minister. I do not believe the Government is capable of making any significant reduction in the numbers of people killed in traffic accidents.

Maybe a good start would be to limit the number of people in  public transport vehicles, but we all know that is not going to happen because it is almost impossible to enforce.

Face saving continues as does the road carnage in Thailand. Same Same every day.

“We will revise the budget laws to ensure that local administrative bodies can make the utmost use of their financial resources in accident prevention,” Deputy Interior Minister Sutee Makboon announced at Bangkok a seminar on Wednesday.

I find this statement quite interesting because I was under the belief that the road laws were enforced by the RTP which is a national controlled department. So why increase the budget for the local administrative bodies, shouldn't that money go to the RTP for traffic law enforcement?

9 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

I see people trying to mask their ignorance in cynicism.

the truth is that the road death rate is a national embarrassment and one way to get Thailand to act is to embarrass them

I don't think it is a case of ignorance in cynicism, I think it is a case of Oh yeah here we go again, I've heard all that before, now it is seeing is believing.

The road death rate is not a national embarrassment it is national disgrace and you are right that the one and only way to get them to act is to somehow embarrass them

Oh goodie! More roadblocks.  Of course, all the wind emanating from Bangkok is cooling the whole country.  Happy road safety for the people. 

or

Same, same but not different. Look:
" It has banned speeding, driving while drunk or drowsy and use of mobile phones while driving and encouraged the use of crash helmets and safety belts. "
Speeding while not drunk or drowsy must be OK.  And the roadblocks are a source of revenue by busting helmetless MC drivers and car drives without seatbelts.  They already do that - it does nothing. 

“We will also require that children be taught about road safety beginning in kindergarten,” he said.

That is a wrong priority.... the correct one should be below

“We will also require that heavy vehicle drivers should be taught about braking safety in the training centre” he said.

4 hours ago, Dorian232 said:

Get children off motorbikes, jail parents who allow their children to ride bikes. Jail police who do not wear helmets.   Stop drives who hog the right hand lane.  make the police do their job properly not just try and fine farangs and pickup drivers.

Like it!!

But dear me! Where to start!?

Get children off motorbikes - how would they get about; walk!!

Jail parents who allow their children to ride bikes; most kid's parents 'round here are in BKK, Pattaya or in drug rehabilitation. Grandparents watch out. We are coming for you

Jail Police who do not wear helmets - enforced by whom; their mates!

Stop drivers who hog the right hand lane - the roads around here are so bad at the edges you have to drive in the outside lane; or risk falling into the ditch.

Make the Police do their job properly - now you're talking; I know a man who could.

Archived