Thai govt pledges great effort on road safety

webfact

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, cms22 said:

Spot on. Let the labourers, farmers, sex workers, shop workers die on the roads. Keep them uneducated and poor, keep them thick, don't encourage them to be smart and not drink too much........ Then they'll be more for us.

... education begins a home the moment one is born. 

One can either stimuli a baby, or just rock / swing it to sleep constantly throughout the day and night in between its feeding time. ( least not forget many suck on the boob and bottle until the age of 3 or 4 years old. 

Strange race. 

12 minutes ago, mindfulness said:

... education begins a home the moment one is born. 

One can either stimuli a baby, or just rock / swing it to sleep constantly throughout the day and night in between its feeding time. ( least not forget many suck on the boob and bottle until the age of 3 or 4 years old. 

Strange race. 

More than 3 or 4 years old, for sure. I know somebody who did until they were seven, and I'm not referring to a bottle!

still on the main subject but a different problem.

Thai licenses do not have your address on them so when you get pulled over for speeding and you produce your license and you are given a ticket for 10,000 baht because you are a farang, how do the authorities collect that money from you. The only address would be on record at the Land Transport Office, but if you are like the previous owner of where I am living and you have not changed your address then how can they collect the money for the fine? If Thailand collected the money for the fines then I believe that there would be money available to get the police out on the road in decent vehicles and enforce the law and that would bring in revenue that could be used for education and training, but there is no way of track the offenders down until either their car registration or license is due for renewal. Big Problem

3 minutes ago, farcanell said:

What a waste of space.... head buried in their asses? It’s almost a toss up between where to start... and.... why bother

but then.... everybody needs a good laugh now and again.

What do you mean "now and again" it is a continual comedy show

In '97 or so, there was an article in BKK Post about an independent study (foreign, Australian?) on Thai road safety. Comparing police reporting vs. the number of deaths recorded at hospitals in several provinces, the conclusion  was that the (underestimated) 1995 death toll of nearly 18,000 was actually about 50% more (~27,000). And in the early 2000s there was a pledge by the government to reduce road deaths by half. It got off to a slow start until the reporting agency was changed to a more "reliable" one. The death toll then promptly fell from "14,xxx" to "7,xxx" quite rapidly. I highly suspect the actual death toll has remained at 20-30,000 the whole time (since the '90s). T.I.T.

1 minute ago, MrY said:

In '97 or so, there was an article in BKK Post about an independent study (foreign, Australian?) on Thai road safety. Comparing police reporting vs. the number of deaths recorded at hospitals in several provinces, the conclusion  was that the (underestimated) 1995 death toll of nearly 18,000 was actually about 50% more (~27,000). And in the early 2000s there was a pledge by the government to reduce road deaths by half. It got off to a slow start until the reporting agency was changed to a more "reliable" one. The death toll then promptly fell from "14,xxx" to "7,xxx" quite rapidly. I highly suspect the actual death toll has remained at 20-30,000 the whole time (since the '90s). T.I.T.

I'm sure this has been highlighted in recent posts about the system of recording of deaths due to road traffic accidents (RTA) in Thailand.

Even going back a few years, before this became high(er) profile, I remember reading a report that an RTA death used to only be counted if it occurred AT the scene. Fatalities occurring in ambulances, in hospitals later, were excluded from the figures, as "it didn't happen at the original location".

Then there was other haphazard reporting - some government(?) offices responsible for collating the figures excluded weekends and some public holidays, as the staff didn't work those days and the figures therefore weren't added.

Jam tomorrow, jams and unspeakable carnage today. Nothing changes over the years, except the names of the speakers at the latest seminar telling 1,500 people what they should already know. 

Anybody who uses the roads here realises what we DON'T need are more inept road safety campaigns or fancy new laws to add to already huge number routinely flouted or ignored by irresponsible drivers.

The best way to cut the carnage is to ensure existing laws are strenuously enforced - which, for starters, means making top cops responsible for the carnage on their particular patches. When their heads start to roll, fewer of ours will.

43 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure this has been highlighted in recent posts about the system of recording of deaths due to road traffic accidents (RTA) in Thailand.

Even going back a few years, before this became high(er) profile, I remember reading a report that an RTA death used to only be counted if it occurred AT the scene. Fatalities occurring in ambulances, in hospitals later, were excluded from the figures, as "it didn't happen at the original location".

Then there was other haphazard reporting - some government(?) offices responsible for collating the figures excluded weekends and some public holidays, as the staff didn't work those days and the figures therefore weren't added.

Sure it's been highlighted now. I was just pointing out how far back this goes, and that the reporting has been known to be false equally long. Having argued against the official numbers for better part of 20 years, I'm quite enjoying the "new " findings that are coming out...

11 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

and suddenly the blinders were lifted when they realized how much more money could be coming their way...

Two ways to look at this, as half the dead folks are, err, were getting Social Security.

What that has to do with road carnage I do not know, but they felt compelled to mention it in the article.

"Sutee said road accidents were responsible for half the deaths of social-security recipients."

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The “Invest for Sustainable Road Safety” seminar, ending today, drew more than 1,500 participants.

Originally 1507 were slated to attend but 7 were killed en-route to the meeting. Four more didn't make it home alive.

You don't need insurance here other than the useless government insurance to buy a car or bike, what chance have we got when the government can't even correct that, you have to look after number 1 and hope you never get involved with a driver who has no insurance, country is run by idiots with a police force to Match!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Russell17au said:

still on the main subject but a different problem.

Thai licenses do not have your address on them so when you get pulled over for speeding and you produce your license and you are given a ticket for 10,000 baht because you are a farang, how do the authorities collect that money from you. The only address would be on record at the Land Transport Office, but if you are like the previous owner of where I am living and you have not changed your address then how can they collect the money for the fine? If Thailand collected the money for the fines then I believe that there would be money available to get the police out on the road in decent vehicles and enforce the law and that would bring in revenue that could be used for education and training, but there is no way of track the offenders down until either their car registration or license is due for renewal. Big Problem

This comes under the 5 Es as E for enforcement.

This is one of the reasons why, even if the police were  to "do their job" or draconian fines were introduced there is no effective legal it collection system to follow up.

Most countries have laws which prevent fines from going to specific causes as doing this increase the chances of corruption.

Just a few simple steps and it can be achieved,

1 - get all motorcyclists off the footpath,

2- In city hot spots reduce the speed.

3 Loss of license for speeding and have their car crushed for scrap metal as they watch.

It's not rocket science just a government with the balls to do it 

1 minute ago, The Teacher said:

Just a few simple steps and it can be achieved,

[snipped] and have their car crushed for scrap metal as they watch.

It's not rocket science just a government with the balls to do it 

I read that in the UK now they're using the car crushing option, which is good. I don't think it's listed as a spectator sport there, although I like the idea of forcing the guilty having to watch the operation.

Sadly it falls down with your phrase "a government with the the balls to do it."

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

I read that in the UK now they're using the car crushing option, which is good. I don't think it's listed as a spectator sport there, although I like the idea of forcing the guilty having to watch the operation.

Sadly it falls down with your phrase "a government with the the balls to do it."

There is Millions of reposed  cars just waiting to be put back on the never never

There is a "T" intersection about 100 meters from a local school near my home, and each afternoon at the end of the school day a Policeman is on point duty directing the traffic here. It includes several hundred very young school children on motorbikes, many who do not wear helmets, and look underage.

I have always thought the Policeman should call at the school and advise the principal that "tomorrow we will be inside the school gates and will prevent all children without helmets and drivers licences from leaving the school grounds with motorbikes.

Please make an announcement to all children and staff today so they are forewarned."

Archived