Midweek rant: Thai Road Safety campaign 7 – 7 – 7…..more like 555

webfact

Midweek rant: Thai Road Safety campaign 7 – 7 – 7…..more like 555

0be9d912925a857992a51f4920f850f9.jpg

File photo

Campaigns to do something about the appalling carnage on Thai roads are no laughing matter.

But when I saw the latest idea to stop the terrible death toll it is hard not to.

The idiocy of some of those tasked with saving lives is nothing short of scandalous.

Because they are taking the public for mugs.

This week we saw the inane smiling faces of the “Three Stooges” from the Communications Ministry headed by their boss Arkhom.

They were all grinning for the cameras as they explained how their “7-7-7” campaign would help.

Apparently, we were asked to believe, by splitting up the “deadly” New Year period into seven day lots this was going to somehow help save lives.

No one said how.

In fact they were more interested in explaining how PTT gas stations would give over space so that those ridiculous tents “serving the public convenience” could be set up to do their vital work.

More unexplained ways to save lives by sitting about doing squat all, I expect.

Every New Year or Songkran it is the same.

Another absurd sound bite in the name of doing something.

This time they said they would stop road repairs for a few days.

Other times they have arranged trips to the morgues.

Crackdowns are mounted – and like travelling in pick-ups they just get media attention for a week or two before they are ignored and another nonsensical scheme is mooted.

There is never any coordination between relevant authorities.

They just try to outdo each other in coming up with the most eye-catching and pointless suggestions.

But as 60 people a day succumb on the roads – maybe more – seeing Arkhom and his cronies having a laugh and a joke with the media in front of their “7-7-7” banner backdrop was anything but amusing.

It was downright offensive.

To the millions who have died, lost loved ones or have a handicapped family member to look after.

The government that came in – well burst in - on a wave of returning happiness to the people has done nothing about one of the biggest killers and something that is a massive national disgrace.

A disgrace that is increasingly being shared worldwide in the days of social media.

They let their ministry minions come up with scatterbrain ideas without sanction.

No one cares.

Do we have to wait until someone says it is affecting tourism before action is taken?

Probably.

It is a situation that will never get better unless there is a determined and prolonged political will to instigate positive change. In the meantime it will just continue to get worse until the next million are dead.

Corruption needs to be stamped on. Driver training needs to improve. Getting a license needs to be an achievement, not a payment. The people need to be held responsible. The police need to uphold the laws that themselves need to be amended.…the list goes on and on.

But none of this has a prayer of success if the powers that be just show lip service to the problem.

7-7-7 is just 555.

But I’m not laughing.

Rooster

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-07

Something will only be done when someone of national importance politician, actor, singer, anything, is killed in a car crash involving a drink or drugged crazed loony whist not having a licence or insurance etc etc.

That is the only time anyone in authority will sit up and take notice, until then the plebs on bikes with no lights and those others driving around oblivious to the fact that they are sharing the road with others and showing the necessary courtesies to them the carnage will continue unabated unfortunately.  

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

But none of this has a prayer of success if the powers that be just show lip service to the problem.

Well said!

The lesson that I draw from these campaigns is that officials who are tasked to protect Thai citizens don't give a rat's ass about the Thai people.

Their contempt is criminal and should be treated as such; how about one week in jail for the "Three Stooges" for every death on the road during the New Year period?

Perhaps then they wouldn't be smiling inanely.

A direct quote from Thanakorn Kuptajit, president of The Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association (TABBA) from another Thai Visa article:

"In other Asian countries, like Japan, . . . its law enforcement is carried out efficiently"

This was aimed at the ridiculous laws of not selling alcohol between 2 and 5 p.m. but is just as relevant here.  Enforce road laws with stiff but fair penalties and deaths will go down.  That is, of course, unless Thailand is proud to finally be #1 at SOMETHING.

Article referenced:  

^^^^^^^ quandow, that 2 - 5 law is just ridiculous, my Mrs goes to a place owned by a nice Thai family all they sell is alcohol, every beer, wine & spirit you can think of, they are busy all day every day, to their left is a Mini Big C and to their right is a 7/11 There is a school not 300 meters away and a temple right opposite. 

Some of the laws in this country make I larf :cheesy:

Lets face it. The cops here are incapable of enforcing the law, because the way they drive, suggests they don't have the first clue about road laws themselves. And enforcement does have to come from them in the first instance. There is neither the will nor the understanding to resolve this situation, so bullshit strategies like the one announced will continue as regularly as the carnage. Don't expect the roads to get safer anytime soon though.

35 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

1). Education

2.) Enforcement and proper and effective punishments

3.) Neither will happen in our lifetimes

The "command" to change has to come from a different source.One that has more cultural suasion then past or present gov'ts.

A sort of Thai version of the Emperor Meiji.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Do we have to wait until someone says it is affecting tourism before action is taken?

Try a few politicians / top military kids killed by drunk drivers and speeders. Maybe something would happen....maybe. 

What can i say ? Idiots in charge of a situation they have no idea on how to fix  777 is just a talk fest Nothing will happen and more will die  I bet the Pm does not even drive on Thai roads In fact i have been here 3 years an d i tell you its getting worse the behavior of Thai drivers  I am driving the car less and less just to bloody scared to go out on the roads because you dont know what idiot you might encounter on the road I will make a statement here on Thai Visa "All members and readers of Thai Visa i reckon 95 % of them are terrified to drive in Thai traffic these  days" I know i am Surely we cant all be wrong because we are all saying the same thing

Until 33% of the population no longer believes that crashes and death are due to fate; until people take responsibility for their own actions; until you cannot escape justice for the price of a bottle of Scotch (having just consummed one); until the police do not need to be informed "do you know who I am"; until 9,10,11 year old children stop riding motorcycles to school; until there is some form of drivers education; until; until...............

5 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Until 33% of the population no longer believes that crashes and death are due to fate; until people take responsibility for their own actions; until you cannot escape justice for the price of a bottle of Scotch (having just consummed one); until the police do not need to be informed "do you know who I am"; until 9,10,11 year old children stop riding motorcycles to school; until there is some form of drivers education; until; until...............

Yep spot on Lucky i dont have a lot of Thai friends I prob be sick of going to funerals by now

When the police see their job as taking bad drivers and vehicles off the roads to prevent accidents rather than a pocket lining exercise we may have a start. Letting a complete and utter drunk drive on home simply because he was ably to pony up the fine in cash doesn't cut it. We need to take the cash aspect of it away from the police... but then they would do nothing.

I heard of the whistle blower idea relating to those who ride motorcycles on Bangkok pedestrian pavements, how about a campaign of reporting police who take cash payments? Although easier to say all of them from the top down!

When Thailands officials in power stop treating their country like a third world

country,  nothing will ever change.  First of all is for the people to elect a

real democratic government,  not some rich guy who bought his votes.

after that and when this government operates and proves that it exists for

the people and not just for its own purpose, maybe some things will change.

I expect to be dead before it happens.

Geezer

Archived