BANGKOK 24 May 2019 00:27

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

"Foreigners against smoking ban" video hits the internet as authorities scurry to explain

I am a non smoker and this has become stupid and ridiculous

To all those non smokers that are whinging on here do you ever walk down the street where there are also smokers walking or do you search for a street where there are no smokers?

What do you do if 4 smokers stand outside you gate smoking and the wind blows the smoke into your yard?

Being out in the open air there would be very little smoke that would reach you because the wind would blow the majority of it away very quickly. It is not like sitting inside any enclosed area where the smoke is trapped and therefore it increases in density.

I agree no smoking in hotels, restaurants, in cars where there are infants, on buses, in taxis, on planes, cinemas or any enclosed buildings.

It would be interesting to know what the level of air pollution that is caused by the smoker is in the air at a 3 metre distance from a smoker in the open air and that reading must be taken from all points of the compass. Even the WHO could not answer that

3 hours ago, nisakiman said:

Ah, so you think the Surgeon General's interpretation of the results (keeping in mind that the SG's department is virulently anti-smoking and working to an agenda) trumps the actual results found by the original research team, do you?

No wonder this world is going to hell in a handbasket. Never let facts get in the way of a belief system, eh?

This topic never fails to draw out the cranks and crackpots with their so called facts, by other crackpots. In order to support their state of denial about cigarette smoke hazards.Unbelivable there are still people around that "think" like this.

I find it strange that folk accuse smokers of giving them and theirs cancer yet they drive them and theirs around in a diesel ride affecting them and theirs and other folk...eyes.gif.88a5f5ca27957a85f7d8e3bbb06ae8e6.gif

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would presume he was of Chinese decent, irregardless, totally disgraceful, and I am sure there would be fines in place for such behaviour, i.e. exposing a child to cigarette smoke in an Airport smoking booth.

One would also have to agree it isn't fair for kids to breath in 2nd hand smoke on a "public beach" because of ones addiction, simply put is people want to be free to smoke, then they shouldn't be doing it where it exposes others to health risks, simple really, and selfish.

I dont think the 2 situations are the same as we are only talking about a bit of smoke on the beach, and I'm sure the majority of smokers would think twice anyway.  The ban is sound though- it's the way it is being done.

On 12/8/2017 at 10:44 AM, RayHaas said:

So people that smoke would just stay at the hotel pools.

Thankfully smoking not allowed at my condo pool  and not allowed in hotel rooms.

3 hours ago, transam said:

I find it strange that folk accuse smokers of giving them and theirs cancer yet they drive them and theirs around in a diesel ride affecting them and theirs and other folk...eyes.gif.88a5f5ca27957a85f7d8e3bbb06ae8e6.gif

Car are useful and we don't smoke from the exhaust

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

To all those non smokers that are whinging on here do you ever walk down the street where there are also smokers walking or do you search for a street where there are no smokers?

What do you do if 4 smokers stand outside you gate smoking and the wind blows the smoke into your yard?

Being out in the open air there would be very little smoke that would reach you because the wind would blow the majority of it away very quickly. It is not like sitting inside any enclosed area where the smoke is trapped and therefore it increases in density.

I agree no smoking in hotels, restaurants, in cars where there are infants, on buses, in taxis, on planes, cinemas or any enclosed buildings.

It would be interesting to know what the level of air pollution that is caused by the smoker is in the air at a 3 metre distance from a smoker in the open air and that reading must be taken from all points of the compass. Even the WHO could not answer that

It is not just the measurable air pollution it is the smell, the bad example to kids, the triggering of recently given up smokers and the public normalisation of a filthy, unhealthy dirty habit that belongs in the 50s.

90% of people do not smoke because it is ugly, dirty, ignorant, unhealthy and selfish. It has no place in public places whether indoors or outdoors.

7 hours ago, nisakiman said:
12 hours ago, torrzent said:

Think I'll go with the Surgeon General on this one.  Maybe you can present your scientific credentials for TVF peer review!

Ah, so you think the Surgeon General's interpretation of the results (keeping in mind that the SG's department is virulently anti-smoking and working to an agenda) trumps the actual results found by the original research team, do you?

No wonder this world is going to hell in a handbasket. Never let facts get in the way of a belief system, eh?

No, torrzent asked wether you have any credentials to make such inane statements. That's actually a valid question as you are trying to contradict the vast majority of studies. So unless you are the pope (or better) we're all better off believing what's state of science. After all, it's you that ignores the findings or tries to misinterpret them to rationalize your adiction.

Oh, and a word about the "agenda" of people speaking *against* smoking. It is common knowledge that tobacco companies get the best scientists money can buy to lobby on their behalf. They have billions to spend, and hundreds of billions to loose. Now - your turn. Who pays those speaking against smoking?

So a fine for smoking/polluting the beach with cigarette butts...100,000b plus a year in jail.....

Is it possible to fine each city administrator 100,000b and give them each a year in jail for continually polluting the sea/beaches around Patt/Jom...while they simply "do nothing" about this ongoing/pending ecological disaster courtesy of their never ending pumping of <deleted> into the sea.

And they have the cheek to ask for 1.6 billion baht to install yet another pipeline to remove "stormwater" and dump that into the sea as well..!!

For the record "Thai stormwater" = anything that can go in a pipeline...sewerage, fat and crap from street vendors, small bits and pieces of plain ordinary rubbish, and if the street vendor is clever enough and removes the street stormwater drain cover......plastic bags full of trash..!!

Thailand is amongst the top 6 worst polluters of the oceans in the world.

4 hours ago, transam said:

I find it strange that folk accuse smokers of giving them and theirs cancer yet they drive them and theirs around in a diesel ride affecting them and theirs and other folk..

Heh.. and I find it strange that people worry about terrorists, gangs, food poisoning and swine-flu, but then light one cigarett after the other.

It would take only very little research to show that all the above together are much less likely to kill you than smoking.

When I walk behind someone smoking I do run past him, because I hate to walk in his stench. And I usually go to restaurants that ban smoking, if I have the choice. Burning tobacco leftovers just don't mix with nice food and a good wine.

But I do understand that smokers are addicts, and as such tend to be irrational, rude and whiney, i.e. find it over-sensitive when people try to avoid their stench, but feel supressed as soon as laws against smoking are actually enforced.

So.. to all the smokers that are whining here... grow a f***ing backbone and quit.

We all know what a cigarette replaces anyway... :passifier:

48 minutes ago, badischer Barde said:

Heh.. and I find it strange that people worry about terrorists, gangs, food poisoning and swine-flu, but then light one cigarett after the other.

Me, too, when they could light up a fine cigar instead.

59 minutes ago, badischer Barde said:

When I walk behind someone smoking I do run past him, because I hate to walk in his stench. And I usually go to restaurants that ban smoking, if I have the choice. Burning tobacco leftovers just don't mix with nice food and a good wine.

But I do understand that smokers are addicts, and as such tend to be irrational, rude and whiney, i.e. find it over-sensitive when people try to avoid their stench, but feel supressed as soon as laws against smoking are actually enforced.

So.. to all the smokers that are whining here... grow a f***ing backbone and quit.

We all know what a cigarette replaces anyway... :passifier:

There seems to be quite a few people who find a whiff of cigarette smoke extremely offensive judging by the language they choose, and this poster provides one example: 'stench'.  Yet to me it is rather a neutral odour, sometimes quite pleasant.  I must admit I'd rather not be hit full on when suffering allergies or a cold.  I walk quite a lot and again am puzzled because I'm not really aware of walking past a smoker.  Pattaya may be different.

Thailand is rather a smelly place.  My friend, it simply is a place you shouldn't be with your unfortunate sensitivity.  You also really need to get a grip in all honesty.

1 hour ago, badischer Barde said:

It would take only very little research to show that all the above together are much less likely to kill you than smoking.

Poor analogy really, isn't it?  Just say what you want to say.

Each of us has pet hates. If I wanted to work myself up to a state then I suppose I might rail about obesity.  I mean, it really made finding a life partner difficult for me because to a skinny like me so many seem to be carrying a spare tyre under their blouse, and I just don't like it at all. Of course, there is a massive health cost too.  But  looking at it square on I can understand why some people might be grossly offended by that, or might want to point out my own neuroses.  The world doesn't share my shallow needs.  And they'd have a point, wouldn't they?

So I wonder if any of the non smokers who are really having a problem with this issue, might want to look beyond the immediate issue; after all, it is clear to me and many others that something is not quite right in their behaviour- it's almost bizarre what some people write (not the poster to which this posting is attached).