BANGKOK 24 April 2019 23:18

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

"Foreigners against smoking ban" video hits the internet as authorities scurry to explain

17 minutes ago, mark01 said:

Far more effective would have been to just install ashtrays.

Far more beneficial would be to stop litter and build an effective drainage system instead of skimming off all the money.

There used to be square concrete ash collectors (much bigger than trays) on Jomtien beach before the great "improvement". Guess they got rid of those because someone would have to empty the butts from time to time. Sorry I don't have a photo

A grammar/spelling police post has been removed

21 minutes ago, mark01 said:

Far more effective would have been to just install ashtrays.

Far more beneficial would be to stop litter and build an effective drainage system instead of skimming off all the money.

Good heavens, no! That's far too sensible!

No, rather than address the problem of butts on the beach in a way that will suit everyone, better to alienate and persecute smokers, as usual. It's the currently fashionable, PC thing these days. It used to be blacks, Jews and homosexuals that it was acceptable to hate, but they've been rehabilitated now, and so another minority group had to be found to persecute relentlessly. And smokers are an easy target.

It's funny how things change. Back in the 1950s UK, it was common to see signs in the windows of B&B places with "No blacks, no Irish". People today look in horror at the bigotry displayed by those signs, and yet find it quite acceptable for there to be equally bigoted signs saying "No smokers". It's all about being 'on message' in these narrow-minded, Politically Correct times.

It's an unfortunate aspect of human nature that the herd always like to have someone to bully, and currently the victims are smokers, since they have become a minority group and they've been effectively excluded from the liberal PC narrative. They are also easy to identify and target, making them a perfect victim for the self-righteous bullies who so love to tell people what they can and cannot do.

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

I gave up smoking more that 18 years ago Thank god I did or I am sure I would be in the grave by now

If you are so warred  about smoking then just quite The benefits are Huge

1. Never get fined on the beach

2. Lungs will improve  dramatically

3. Food and smell him be heightened

4. More girls will find you more attractive

5. your cloths will smell better

6. Increased possible income from not buying  cigarettes

7. Longer life

I can go on and on You can add more to this list but I think you get the idea

If it is that bad for you, surely governments would print a warning on the pack.

I wonder if this is going to be announced or clearly displayed on the visa application as tourists get a tourist visa, if they need one. I doubt the amazing Thailand picture will give the whole truth. I am in favour of penalties, but 100,000 B --like others have stated-- is grotesque. Alternatively, considering smoking is highly addictive, Thai beaches should have a booth, fit with metal sheet and no insulation and no a/c, to help with going cold turkey. Kidding.

This country is only good at the unnecessities but has no clue on the necessities. 

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They are right, there aren't many foreigners in Pattaya and it is exactly this sort of stupidity that keeps them away. That and the cops extorting money, along with the thefts, assaults, crazy drivers and other aggravation. Cambodia is rammed with visitors I hear. I wonder why? :smile:

Many, many countries have much stricter laws regarding the disgusting habit of smoking in public places. Many also have strict rules about drinking alcohol in public places. And many of these foreign tourists come from such countries.

Little sympathy for those who expect to come to another country and do as they please even though it would be against the law in their home country.

Once again the Thai authorities show ther true colours. Yet another nail in the coffin for Thai tourism. Concentrate on the bl@@dy carnage that is happening every day on your roads instead because that is a far worse situation than a person having a relaxing smoke on the beach. Yes smoking kills but so do pi$$ed and drugged up drivers who continue to deprive families of their loved ones. Get you priorities right or lose the fight. 

"smoke after February 1st and risk jail.", except the farmers and villagers

up here in Chiang Mai, every year they cause a massive problem with the

burning farm waste,which affects 1000's  of people,some with breathing

problems that end up in hospital, but smoke one cigarette on the beach 

and you could end up in jail ! , the authorities need to get their priorities 

in focus. 

regards worgeordie

I like smoking bans. 

If it takes a reasonable fine to put teeth to them, that seems OK too.

500 baht. 1000 baht. Even 2000 baht.

But a year in jail / 100,000 baht?

I don't understand how this rule even passed in the first place.

It's just absurdly severe and bound to get negative international press.

Yes even non-smokers (like myself) hate such over the top DRACONIAN punishments that are way out of proportion to the violation.

I'd much rather have NO BANS than punishments like that. 

While you're at it, don't be showing any "crack" on the beach either. Then you could be talking many years in the slammer. 

Just to put the 100,000 baht fine for smoking into perspective: that fine is equal to the combined fines of 200 Thai people who decide to stab you. The fine for a Thai stabbing a foreign tourist is 500 baht (see repeat offender watch seller who stabbed a foreigner on Beach Road). So, smoke on the beach and your crime is the same as 200 Thais all getting in a knife wound on you.

A whole lot of propaganda posts...are you trolls being paid? Do you have work permits for that? All this huppla is obsessive compulsive... there are far bigger and worse problems for the government. This is all silly. And yes smoking on the beach will continue as will ecigs. The world moves on 

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

Tourist to Pattaya Beach Authority Officer: "So, you are going to fine me 100,000 baht for smoking? Might as well add on the 500 baht for my fist in your face."

"a year in jail and a 100,000 baht fine for those breaking the law"  Perhaps they will leave the 500B fine til you get out of jail in a year????   (But I like the cut of your jib, young man!)  P.S.  However old you are, you are probably still younger than me.....

4 hours ago, RayHaas said:

So people that smoke would just stay at the hotel pools.

No just smoke in designated areas which is now common in civilised countries

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In another story on Sophon's page the chief insisted that his visit to the beach was to help people understand the reasons for the ban.

What exactly are the reasons? Clean up the beaches. Ridiculous. I agree that people butting out in the sand and not disposing of the butt properly is not good. But (no pun intended) you could light up next to a bin with every intention of putting the butt in the bin and go to jail. This is insanity on a grand scale.