"Foreigners against smoking ban" video hits the internet as authorities scurry to explain

webfact

44 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Can anyone name a single benefit for anyone to start smoking or allow or impose secondary smoking on anyone. 

Those who have this horrible addiction should be given compulsorily medical treatment and all cigarettes and all the vapour etc imitations banned from public sale and only sold under medical/mental health prescription. 

Bring in cigarette prohibition worldwide with fags etc only provided under medical care.  The world health organisations would save Trillions of $$$$s and many parents and kids would live longer. It would not be the same as booze prohibition as who would want to hang out in a smoke filled fag centre.  Just try looking and smelling at the people who have just used the airport ones!  Ugh.

About this time an impromptu of his moved the town to laughter. At some dinner party it appeared the ladies sat a little too long; Oscar wanted to smoke. Suddenly the hostess drew his attention to a lamp the shade of which was smouldering.

“Please put it out, Mr. Wilde,” she said, “it’s smoking.”

Oscar turned to do as he was told with the remark:

“Happy lamp!”

The delightful impertinence had an extraordinary success.

—Oscar Wilde, His Life and Confessions, by Frank Harris

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Smoke all you like, but not on beaches, restaurants, public transport or hotel swimming pools and especially near children. Go back to where you came from if you don't like it and try it in your country. Thailand is their country, you are guests, behave like one, and it's about time they stuck to their guns on something at least, and yes I cannot stand cigarette smoke !

Image result for picture of a smoker dying

Clearly you do not own a business that relies on tourists in or near a beach here in Pattaya. God bless you for not just thinking of your own feelings and commercial interests . Your a Thai saint!,,,,,oops forgot to ask did you assist in this new law.?... to assist a better financial  return for you as far as fines are concerned in your future success being a saint?

44 minutes ago, stravers said:

1) Thais will never be charged.  

2) Foreigners are encouraged to pay a lesser bribe when caught. Both sides leave happy. See jet ski scam.

Which part of having to pay a bribe leaves one side happy exactly?  

2 minutes ago, balo said:

You can still smoke on the sidewalks, how hard is it to stand up from your beach chair and walk 20 meter ? Not very hard is it ?

How hard is it for Falangs to say where will I go for my holidays? Thailand mmmm fine you 100,000 Bah or 10 years gaol for sitting on a beach that smells like a toilet or go elsewhere?  mmm ...I'm not Einstein but I know the answer to that one! "Not very hard is it"?

3 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Tourist to Pattaya Beach Authority Officer: "So, you are going to fine me 100,000 baht for smoking? Might as well add on the 500 baht for my fist in your face."

That is the point. A drunk driver killing a person in a car accident can get away with a fine of 2000 Baht (I know such a case in the Lampang province), while smoking a fag equals killing 50 people by a drunkard on a wheel.   

4 hours ago, noahvail said:

Good for you, lots of people don’t like cigarette smoke. And lots of people don’t like spending a year in jail and losing ฿100,000 for making a mistake due to force of habit. I am a guest in this country, it’s true  - an invited guest. And although I don’t like the smell of cigarette smoke, if I invite someone into my house, I permit them, as an invited guest, to do as they would in their own home. As soon as the homeowners of the beach, the Thais, start spending a year in jail and paying ฿100,000 for lighting up, I will no longer complain about this new regulation.

You seem like a very gracious and lenient host.  So anyone invited can just open the fridge, eat and drink as much as they want, put their feet up on the coffee table, hog the remote while watching tv and take a piss without raising the seat.  The only person that ever smoke in my home was my ex-MIL.  When she would visit, the first words out of her mouth were directed towards her grandkids "go get grandma an ashtray". Before her fat ass was firmly planted in the chair she'd have a Pall Mall Gold lit up. 

I am not a smoker and I do not like second hand smoke but this law as an environmental law is absolutely ridiculous because as balo states all you have to do is get up and walk off the beach onto the sidewalk and light up, there you are not breaking the law but then when you finish just drop the butt on the ground so that it gets washed into the drain and out into the water to return to the beach on the next tide. Environmentally no difference.

This is a ban on rubbish nothing else no matter what the mayor of Pattaya or someone else is trying to make it to. Now I do not think the problem is as big as they tries to make it. 
I know that smokers use ashtrays, cans, or whatever is available rather than throwing the fimps on the ground. But if they think it's a problem, why not tell the 
sunchair advertiser to divide their area into two parts, one for smokers and one for non-smokers. They can even take a little more pay from the smokers. 
At the same time, the advitisers should be obliged to clean the area for smokers at the beach every day . The problem solved and everyone satisfied except possibly corrupt 
officials who miss a chance of extra income and those none smkers who believe it is theire right to direct others life.

4 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

You seem like a very gracious and lenient host.  So anyone invited can just open the fridge, eat and drink as much as they want, put their feet up on the coffee table, hog the remote while watching tv and take a piss without raising the seat.  The only person that ever smoke in my home was my ex-MIL.  When she would visit, the first words out of her mouth were directed towards her grandkids "go get grandma an ashtray". Before her fat ass was firmly planted in the chair she'd have a Pall Mall Gold lit up. 

Your comments sum you up!

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I am not a smoker and I do not like second hand smoke but this law as an environmental law is absolutely ridiculous because as balo states all you have to do is get up and walk off the beach onto the sidewalk and light up, there you are not breaking the law but then when you finish just drop the butt on the ground so that it gets washed into the drain and out into the water to return to the beach on the next tide. Environmentally no difference.

You ever been to the beach near the pier (Sth Pattaya) Ever looked ar the RAW sewerage that flows out of the pipes there near the pier full of bars and restaurants? But a ciggy But is your major concern? Cannot say more otherwise I may  be banned to talking to such people as YOU!

28 minutes ago, balo said:

You can still smoke on the sidewalks, how hard is it to stand up from your beach chair and walk 20 meter ? Not very hard is it ?

What!!! And double their exercise quota for the day. 

Maybe they can design a sun bed that can be towed to the smoking area. 

3 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

You ever been to the beach near the pier (Sth Pattaya) Ever looked ar the RAW sewerage that flows out of the pipes there near the pier full of bars and restaurants? But a ciggy But is your major concern? Cannot say more otherwise I may  be banned to talking to such people as YOU!

Read my post again slowly and you will see that I believe that this law is stupid and I am a non smoker

But talking to such people as me. I find that offensive as you failed to read my post properly

26 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

How hard is it for Falangs to say where will I go for my holidays? Thailand mmmm fine you 100,000 Bah or 10 years gaol for sitting on a beach that smells like a toilet or go elsewhere?  mmm ...I'm not Einstein but I know the answer to that one! "Not very hard is it"?

So they can currently sit on a beach that stinks of sewage but because they can’t smoke they will go elsewhere. 

Ah right o. 

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

What bins???

I agree with you both. You could light up next to a bin but I defy you to tell me where in Pattaya, anywhere in Pattaya, there is a bin! I just came from Tesco L Jomtien and couldn't find a bin for my ice cream wrapper. If private enterprise can't supply bins for their paying customers what chance the country?

I'm not a smoker don't like it a bad and nasty habit it kill my dad and older brother early.  Smokers in general don't realize how those butts are just all over the place but when a person smoke and they are willing to pay the increase prices they just don't care about anyone but themselves. That being said I can see some type of rule being in place but the reality the jail time and fine is laughable but I'm not surprise in the Land of Stupidity.

You have a law no smoking indoors like in a Go Go but majority allow it I wonder if they enforced and apply a penalty like for the beach what would happen?

I think simply posting a few signs, placing more disposal bins for cig butts along walkways and ask vendors to provide ashtrays on tables or bench chairs. Most responsible smokers ask for ashtray in a Go Go from my experience. This country even when they declare Section 44 not to sell liquor to minors etc etc.. what are they trying to prove here plus as noted the shit is still flowing by the Kilos into the sea. Let me see shit or butts?

Most reasonable people- smokers or not- will have mixed feelings about the ban, rightly sensing the argument for, though certainly justified, has got out of hand.  I can well believe that 90% of smokers think first about lighting up in public areas and stub their cigarette out if someone objects. Militant non-smokers really have personality issues imo.

57 minutes ago, smedly said:

you conveniently left out the critical part of my post and therefore completely lost the point so I will make it again so that you fully understand. The law being used to apply punishment is an environmental law which concerns damage to the environment under marine protection which carries a 100,000baht fine and or one year in jail, if a person smoking on the beach is using an ashtray and properly disposing of the said cigarette butt - I am not sure that any court would have grounds to convict

My original post.........................................

I am wondering what will happen if they ever try to take someone to court for smoking on the beach and the court asks what offence was being committed against the environment since the person was using an ashtray and disposing of the waste correctly

Sorry, I did not fully read your post.

As an ex smoker of many decades-  I find the fine and possibly jail time absurd.  Put up signs; ask the  chair operators to remind people of the no smoking ban and if a customer refuses to comply remind them again.  At some point- the beach patrol (local thessabn) can come by and fine the perpetrator a reasonable amount 1000 Baht.  This should be a civil penalty- treating no smoking as a criminal offense and making it part of a person's history is completely unfair and if enforced drive tourists away.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

realistically prohibition will never be introduced by any government for the simple reason that they do not want to lose the massive revenue collected from cigarette sales.

Typical government hypocrisy.

There are so many studies out there by the WHO etc that the tax revenue is less than the health costs incurred by smokers.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

They are asking why they can't smoke

why it's forbidden to take drugs?

why it is forbidden to kill your neighbour?

why it is forbidden to drive on the right side of the road?

why, why why?

Because it is LAW !! Same in your countries.

Did all stupid in the world come to Thailand?

Another WHY

Archived