"Foreigners against smoking ban" video hits the internet as authorities scurry to explain

webfact

13 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

So this is your country is it ? And no I am a non smoker

Maybe you need a remedial course of reading comprehension.

I did not say this is my country, or is your submission a just a troll post?

I said they, the foreign smokers should smoke on a beach

in their own country. It may be illegal there already for good reason. I suggested also they go elsewhere.  Cambodia and Vietnam await smokers foul body odour and breath, and wafting toxic smoke. Thailand is slowly going to become like everywhere else.  I guarantee in 15 - 20 years a Foreigner will not be able to take a prostitute here, and then we will see the back end of  the traveling farang sexpests and  mongers.  I don't want sex tourists coming here anymore either. It's called progress.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I said they, the ffarang sexpests and  mongers.  I don't want sex tourists coming here anymore either. 

Then LOS must install a social security system including unemployment benefits or create jobs.

I cant figure thailands end game all this bs...are they trying to be relivant on the world stage? are they trying to drive they few falangs left away? is this just another LOUD AND PROUD Thailand gimmick...OR DO THEY REALLY CARE ABOUT OUT HEALTH

4MyEgo

I agree with you 200% as a reformed smoker I shudder at the discomfort O must have caused others with my smoke invading their space

I live in Thailand by choice 

. Like any country it is not perfect but it is a lot better than where I come from. I think it is incumbent on me to live by the house rules whether they be National or Domestic  I am sick of an embarrassed by the "chronically discontented! SIMPLY PUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE HOUSE RULES GO HOME!

I go to the beach to enjoy the fresh air not the solution of smokers 

8 hours ago, swissie said:

Question: Has this 1 year in prison/100'000 Bht fine deal alredy hit the tabloid-press in Europe (especially in the UK?)
If this should come to pass, I could imagine that the punishement would drop to 1 day in prison and only 1000 Bht fine.
Blaming all this to a simple "printing-error", caused by a silly apprentice at the departement.

But I shall say this: If this should be enforced come Feb 1st (without meaningful opposition), this would open the floodgates when if comes to fleecing Farangs. Entereing a new realm: Farang Motorbike riders without wearing a helmet will pay 1000. Justification: Farangs with no helmets are mainly responsible for the "road-carnage" on Thai-roads, etc, etc, etc,etc...........
Without meaningful opposition, what would stop them? Some bickering by Farangs on a Farang forum certainly won't impress them much.

Does it have to come to a point, where people booking a flight to Thailand will have to be supplied with a "Travel Advisory/Warning", issued by "foreighn-offices", reading like:
- "Upon entering the Kingdom of Thailand, the visitor may be subjected to arbitrary applications of the law. In case of ensuing legal disputes, our Embassy will not be in the position to interfere on behalf of the visitor. The visitor, entering the Kingdom of Thailand, is doing so at his own risk".
Will it have to come to this?
Cheers.

"Does it have to come to a point, where people booking a flight to Thailand will have to be supplied with a "Travel Advisory/Warning", issued by "foreighn-offices", reading like:
- "Upon entering the Kingdom of Thailand, the visitor may be subjected to arbitrary applications of the law. In case of ensuing legal disputes, our Embassy will not be in the position to interfere on behalf of the visitor. The visitor, entering the Kingdom of Thailand, is doing so at his own risk"."

Already happened:  https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

" Thai authorities have announced that in November they will introduce a smoking ban on beaches in certain tourist areas, including in Koh Samui, Pattaya and in Phuket, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chon Buri and Songkhla provinces. Those caught smoking in non-designated areas could face a 100,000 baht fine or up to a year in prison. You should follow local guidance."

8 hours ago, Jimdandy said:

Once again arrogant farang go somewhere and want to make their rules someone else's rules . Smoking is a nasty habit. In some place they have designated smoking area, like those rooms in most international airports. Build one just so smokers who want to continue working on their emphysema and other related health issues can smoke so they can suffer in peace.

What about the family with the children 5 meters away? Should they have their day ruined by second hand smoke? 

A beach is indeed an easily defined area of recreation and play and most people will agree with you....but there are the usual barbed comments about smokers being dirty, filthy, arrogant, etc.  Get a grip will you....you non smokers are beginning to sound hysterical.

"What about the family with the children 5 meters away? Should they have their day ruined by second hand smoke?"

Are they?, Is it?  That's what I mean!  There are other ways to be toxic, you know.  Stop spreading anxiety and hysteria... there's enough of it about already.

And clean air is what they get...well sort of:smile:... there's the little matter of millions of cubic metres of exhaust fumes and ground ozone, but I get your drift.

So smokers could quite simply turn round and tell you to quit moaning, becasuse you are already well protected.:passifier:

(Imo, the dangers of passive smoking have been greatly over-egged, though it is a direct irritant, and will badly effect those who already have allergies.. but the problem really is the allergies, a lot of which are caused by general air pollution, and chemicals.)

1 hour ago, Polytechnic said:

4MyEgo

I agree with you 200% as a reformed smoker I shudder at the discomfort O must have caused others with my smoke invading their space

I live in Thailand by choice 

. Like any country it is not perfect but it is a lot better than where I come from. I think it is incumbent on me to live by the house rules whether they be National or Domestic  I am sick of an embarrassed by the "chronically discontented! SIMPLY PUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE HOUSE RULES GO HOME!

I go to the beach to enjoy the fresh air not the solution of smokers 

What happens if they don't like the house rules at home?  The point is that it is increasingly difficult for Joe Average to live a simple, relatively unhindered life. Get off your high horse!

17 hours ago, Piccadilly Circus said:

This is the answer for all you smokers.

Now Bloody Nice Job Piccadilly Circus, !!! ... Just let it run on to the next clip about the Dope and substance abuse personal Bubble, and you will be laughing the rest of the afternoon !!!

8 hours ago, nisakiman said:

If you took the time to research the subject, rather than regurgitate what you read in the papers, you will find that the vast majority of research on the subject has found that there is no significant health risk from 'passive smoking' (and they researched people living with smokers, not occasional passers-by). And don't quote to me any 'The Surgeon General says...' crap. The Surgeon General lies by both omission and commission on the subject, because he's a committed anti-smoker. It's easy to cherry pick statistics and then massage them a bit to suit your agenda.

No, the only place you'll find the facts is in the actual research itself, before the manipulators have got hold of the data and tortured it into confessing their version of events. You could start with 'Boffetta et al (one of the biggest studies done, commissioned by the WHO), and then have a look for 'Ernesto and Kabat', who conducted an equally thorough research programme (over decades) in the USA, commissioned and funded by the American Cancer Society. Both those studies concluded that there was no statistically significant risk from other people's cigarette smoke.

So, no. Sitting next to a smoker is not hazardous to your health. It's all in your mind.

That was my experience, having grown up around smokers.

It can worsen allergies, but as I already mentioned the problem is really the allergies, not a bit of smoke that appears to worsen them.

And the biggest problem is really lack of fitness and obesity.  A smoker with a reasonable exercise programme and an ok diet can mitigate a lot of the harmful effects.

Not that smoking isn't bad for you, but so is hard work!

Thailand bans vaping! That was an ideal solution all round!  That's as dumb as dumb can be!

There is a simple solution to this problem.  If there is a ban on smoking on the beach and a fine for doing so, if people who do not like this proposal got together and sat, lay, stood, etc on the beach and had unlit cigarettes in their mouths, between their fingers and other such behaviours, then the custodians would have a frantic time because people would not be smoking.  Ergo, no fines could be handed out and the authorities would be frustrated because they could not issue fines and collect the anticipated amounts that they could not be able to share out amongst themselves.

20 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

I wonder if this is going to be announced or clearly displayed on the visa application as tourists get a tourist visa, if they need one. I doubt the amazing Thailand picture will give the whole truth. I am in favour of penalties, but 100,000 B --like others have stated-- is grotesque. Alternatively, considering smoking is highly addictive, Thai beaches should have a booth, fit with metal sheet and no insulation and no a/c, to help with going cold turkey. Kidding.

No.  Just for smoking in.  Just kidding.  As others have said.  We may hate smoking but this law is grotesque.

12 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

There is a simple solution to this problem.  If there is a ban on smoking on the beach and a fine for doing so, if people who do not like this proposal got together and sat, lay, stood, etc on the beach and had unlit cigarettes in their mouths, between their fingers and other such behaviours, then the custodians would have a frantic time because people would not be smoking.  Ergo, no fines could be handed out and the authorities would be frustrated because they could not issue fines and collect the anticipated amounts that they could not be able to share out amongst themselves.

LOL.  Can you give us the time and place you intend to carry this out, so we can all be waiting with video phones on standby. 

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Maybe you need a remedial course of reading comprehension.

I did not say this is my country, or is your submission a just a troll post?

I said they, the foreign smokers should smoke on a beach

in their own country. It may be illegal there already for good reason. I suggested also they go elsewhere.  Cambodia and Vietnam await smokers foul body odour and breath, and wafting toxic smoke. Thailand is slowly going to become like everywhere else.  I guarantee in 15 - 20 years a Foreigner will not be able to take a prostitute here, and then we will see the back end of  the traveling farang sexpests and  mongers.  I don't want sex tourists coming here anymore either. It's called progress.

Sex tourism is just like smoking, those who partake think it is a private pleasure. And it is, unless they are doing it right in front of your face and you don't wish to or can't share their pleasure.  Wait for them to prescribe a year in jail for a quick bit of the other dirty pleasure.  555

23 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Smoke all you like, but not on beaches, restaurants, public transport or hotel swimming pools and especially near children. Go back to where you came from if you don't like it and try it in your country. Thailand is their country, you are guests, behave like one, and it's about time they stuck to their guns on something at least, and yes I cannot stand cigarette smoke !

Image result for picture of a smoker dying

I saw something very strange a couple of days ago that I will share wth you. I was in a Smoking Room at an airport     (which are usually smoke filled) and I saw a couple come in there with a child of maybe 4 or 5 years old. Odd in that the mother did not smoke but the father had 2 cigarettes while the child sat through all of this.

I sat and wondering if there was a Law agaist that, and although I don't know for sure, I don't think there is. Which is odd as you have to be 16 years old (in some countries) and 18 years old (in other countries) to even buy cigarettes, But yet you can legally take a 5 year old into a smoke filled room for 30 minutes or longer, and nothing can be done about it. 

I agree that some control is needed and even on public beaches. I think a very important factor in developing laws is to protect the ones who cannot speak for or defend themselves, like children. But there has to be some sensibility put into these laws also. Giving someone a 100,000 Baht Fine and / or Jail Time for smoking on a beach, is way overboard in my view. That is along the lines of giving a father a 6 month jail sentence for assault for swatting his kid's bum for behaving badly. 

I did not feel comfortable in that smoking room with a small child in there. I don't think any of the other smokers in that room did also. I would like to see this prevented and stopped. But at the same time it would be totally unreasonable to shut down all smoking rooms in all airports, just because the one in a million brings his child in there with him. Much better to make the entry an age restriction. 

There is smokers and non-smokers, and it will probably stay this way for the rest of my life anyway and maybe yours to. We need to get along. You need to realize that this world is big enough for the both of us. We need to come up with fair laws that is agreeable to most. I don't think many of the Smokers would agree to bring a small child into a Smoking Room and just like the Non-smokers wouldn't.  

7 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I saw something very strange a couple of days ago that I will share wth you. I was in a Smoking Room at an airport     (which are usually smoke filled) and I saw a couple come in there with a child of maybe 4 or 5 years old. Odd in that the mother did not smoke but the father had 2 cigarettes while the child sat through all of this.

I sat and wondering if there was a Law agaist that, and although I don't know for sure, I don't think there is. Which is odd as you have to be 16 years old (in some countries) and 18 years old (in other countries) to even buy cigarettes, But yet you can legally take a 5 year old into a smoke filled room for 30 minutes or longer, and nothing can be done about it. 

I agree that some control is needed and even on public beaches. I think a very important factor in developing laws is to protect the ones who cannot speak for or defend themselves, like children. But there has to be some sensibility put into these laws also. Giving someone a 100,000 Baht Fine and / or Jail Time for smoking on a beach, is way overboard in my view. That is along the lines of giving a father a 6 month jail sentence for assault for swatting his kid's bum for behaving badly. 

I did not feel comfortable in that smoking room with a small child in there. I don't think any of the other smokers in that room did also. I would like to see this prevented and stopped. But at the same time it would be totally unreasonable to shut down all smoking rooms in all airports, just because the one in a million brings his child in there with him. Much better to make the entry an age restriction. 

There is smokers and non-smokers, and it will probably stay this way for the rest of my life anyway and maybe yours to. We need to get along. You need to realize that this world is big enough for the both of us. We need to come up with fair laws that is agreeable to most. I don't think many of the Smokers would agree to bring a small child into a Smoking Room and just like the Non-smokers wouldn't.  

I smoke too but It just goes to shows how many buffaloes have two legs regarding your experience...:sad:

38 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I would presume he was of Chinese decent, irregardless, totally disgraceful, and I am sure there would be fines in place for such behaviour, i.e. exposing a child to cigarette smoke in an Airport smoking booth.

One would also have to agree it isn't fair for kids to breath in 2nd hand smoke on a "public beach" because of ones addiction, simply put is people want to be free to smoke, then they shouldn't be doing it where it exposes others to health risks, simple really, and selfish.

I don't smoke,  tried it as an adolescent found it to be disgusting. But I don't wimper and whine every time someone else wants to smoke. I agree the smoking ban is petty and appears to be directed towards tourists. 

It seems to me a nation so dependant upon a tourism industry is actually hanging themselves. 

My only source of information about Pattaya is Thai Visa. From the reports I read I have no interest in seeing the place. I am curious why don't I ever see any positive articles about Pattaya?

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would presume he was of Chinese decent, irregardless, totally disgraceful, and I am sure there would be fines in place for such behaviour, i.e. exposing a child to cigarette smoke in an Airport smoking booth.

One would also have to agree it isn't fair for kids to breath in 2nd hand smoke on a "public beach" because of ones addiction, simply put is people want to be free to smoke, then they shouldn't be doing it where it exposes others to health risks, simple really, and selfish.

Actually he wasn't Chinese, but there was 2 of them in that room who did look upon this guy in disgust, and like the rest of us. He wasn't European, Austrailian, or Americian, and not from Africa, and his wife wore a head scarf, so you can take a good guess from that. 

Perhaps what got me the most is there was really no need for any of that as his wife did not smoke. No reason why she could not wait outside with her son in a safe area, while he had his 2 cigarettes. So I supposed there son is exposed to this all the time. 

I agree that is is selfish to expose other people to health risks from your smoking and especially children. But I also agree  the world is big enough for both. Thailand owns a lot of beach front property. No real reason why they can't have Smoking and Non-smoking Beaches with an age restriction on Smoking Beaches. If you Fine people for throughing there cigarettes butts on the beach, and not using the ashtray provided, at least you give people a choice.

When people come here and learn they cannot smoke anywhere on the Beach, many Smokers are not going to go back. No doubt the Beachs are going to lose some money from this and why they are protesting. On my travels, if I can't book a hotel with Smoking Rooms, or a least a balcony I can smoke on, I will never book a room with them. I would sooner sleep in my car and follow my own rules, and save money at the same time. I have no choice with airline travel, but I will only try to book a flight with airlines that have Smoking Rooms at Airports when I have connecting flights.   

15 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I don't smoke,  tried it as an adolescent found it to be disgusting. But I don't wimper and whine every time someone else wants to smoke. I agree the smoking ban is petty and appears to be directed towards tourists. 

It seems to me a nation so dependant upon a tourism industry is actually hanging themselves. 

My only source of information about Pattaya is Thai Visa. From the reports I read I have no interest in seeing the place. I am curious why don't I ever see any positive articles about Pattaya?

I lived in Pattaya for quite awhile and the best way to descibe this place is to say it is "Amazing". It is one of the very few places where I can honestly say there is something there for everyone. You may only hear about the old guys hanging around sleezy bars, chasing younger Bar Girls, as I was one of those guys once, but we need a place to hang out to. 

But there is so much more to Pattaya. A nice Water Park, Go Cart rentals, Great Nightly entertainment (Took my younger daughter to a Majic Show, which she loved). The Beach, A World Famous Tiger Zoo. The list goes on and on. You can only be bored in Pattaya, if you want to be. 

23 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Give me a break pleeeeaaassssseee. Crying about second hand smoke on a public beach is about as useful as complaining about a person farting.

Is a beach a confined space? Do you also complain about people burning trash or cattle farting releasing methane gas destroying the earths ozone layer? How about the tons of trash dumped on any vacant lot in any town? 

I would wager if everyone in Bangkok smoked a pack a day the pollution from the smoke would not be close to the amount of co2, carbon monoxide, lead, or sulfur dioxide from city busses alone, not to mention all the other traffic. How often do you whine about that second hand smoke? Oh, I am a non smoker. 

4 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I lived in Pattaya for quite awhile and the best way to descibe this place is to say it is "Amazing". It is one of the very few places where I can honestly say there is something there for everyone. You may only hear about the old guys hanging around sleezy bars, chasing younger Bar Girls, as I was one of those guys once, but we need a place to hang out to. 

But there is so much more to Pattaya. A nice Water Park, Go Cart rentals, Great Nightly entertainment (Took my younger daughter to a Majic Show, which she loved). The Beach, A World Famous Tiger Zoo. The list goes on and on. You can only be bored in Pattaya, if you want to be. 

I have never heard of these positive assets in Pattaya. Thanks for sharing, I am curious why I never see such positive posts in Thai Visa? All I see to read is negativity. 

5 hours ago, torrzent said:

Think I'll go with the Surgeon General on this one.  Maybe you can present your scientific credentials for TVF peer review!

Ah, so you think the Surgeon General's interpretation of the results (keeping in mind that the SG's department is virulently anti-smoking and working to an agenda) trumps the actual results found by the original research team, do you?

No wonder this world is going to hell in a handbasket. Never let facts get in the way of a belief system, eh?

On 12/7/2017 at 9:33 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Smoke all you like, but not on beaches, restaurants, public transport or hotel swimming pools and especially near children. Go back to where you came from if you don't like it and try it in your country. Thailand is their country, you are guests, behave like one, and it's about time they stuck to their guns on something at least, and yes I cannot stand cigarette smoke !

Image result for picture of a smoker dying

I smoke a pipe. CDC says no real harm; no filters on beach. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Actually he wasn't Chinese, but there was 2 of them in that room who did look upon this guy in disgust, and like the rest of us. He wasn't European, Austrailian, or Americian, and not from Africa, and his wife wore a head scarf, so you can take a good guess from that. 

Perhaps what got me the most is there was really no need for any of that as his wife did not smoke. No reason why she could not wait outside with her son in a safe area, while he had his 2 cigarettes. So I supposed there son is exposed to this all the time. 

I agree that is is selfish to expose other people to health risks from your smoking and especially children. But I also agree  the world is big enough for both. Thailand owns a lot of beach front property. No real reason why they can't have Smoking and Non-smoking Beaches with an age restriction on Smoking Beaches. If you Fine people for throughing there cigarettes butts on the beach, and not using the ashtray provided, at least you give people a choice.

When people come here and learn they cannot smoke anywhere on the Beach, many Smokers are not going to go back. No doubt the Beachs are going to lose some money from this and why they are protesting. On my travels, if I can't book a hotel with Smoking Rooms, or a least a balcony I can smoke on, I will never book a room with them. I would sooner sleep in my car and follow my own rules, and save money at the same time. I have no choice with airline travel, but I will only try to book a flight with airlines that have Smoking Rooms at Airports when I have connecting flights.   

That was going to be my second choice of nationality and agree about the wife and son, could have been outside.

Smoking and non smoking sections of beaches sounds like a solution, as for hotel rooms, when I book, I ALWAYS request a non smoking room, pay a nights deposit, and will not pay the rest until I inspect the room, i.e. if I haven't stayed at that hotel before, and if I smell cigarette smoke, I tell them it is not on and that they can put me in a non smoking room as I requested, and when they say not have, I simply say, ok, then I will stay somewhere else, amazing how they can think real quick then to swing into action and get me a non smoking room, probably off someone else who no doubt will arrive tomorrow and they will try to give that person that room, suffice to say, I don't return to such hotels, stuff it up the 1st time, you lose the customer (me).

I don't know what it is with cigarette smoke, but it triggers me and the Mrs to cough crazily, might have some allergy to it, I remember in Sydney, won;t go to far into it, but I took the Owners Corporation to task for not issuing some tenants who moved into an apartment below us who started to create a nuisance as there cigarette smoke (chain smokers) was entering our unit, the fine was $5,000 a day for every day that they did not comply, suffice to say, they acted quick smart, but at 1st laughed at my suggestion of stopping the tenants from smoking within the unit they rented, I also put the owner on notice that I would sue him if any of our health was affected, with him also swinging into action.

The fact of the matter is it has been proven that cigarette smoke kills, so why should we or anyone else have to breath it in because people want to smoke, but the suggestion of non smoking and smoking sections of beaches I will agree with, as could be restaurants, buses, etc, etc 

2 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Give me a break pleeeeaaassssseee. Crying about second hand smoke on a public beach is about as useful as complaining about a person farting.

Is a beach a confined space? Do you also complain about people burning trash or cattle farting releasing methane gas destroying the earths ozone layer? How about the tons of trash dumped on any vacant lot in any town? 

I would wager if everyone in Bangkok smoked a pack a day the pollution from the smoke would not be close to the amount of co2, carbon monoxide, lead, or sulfur dioxide from city busses alone, not to mention all the other traffic. How often do you whine about that second hand smoke? Oh, I am a non smoker. 

Give you a break, not a chance in the world !

The topic is about cigarette smoke and the fines to be applied, whether or not you are a smoker or not is irrelevant, you are quite ignorant in my opinion, and if you want to breath in 2nd hand smoke, breath your life away, others like myself have choices, and support the banning of it in public areas.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/tobacco-and-cancer/secondhand-smoke.html

As for everything else we have to deal with in life doesn't excuse the fact, so your argument has no substance and judging by the likes on my original response, there are a hell of a lot of people that support what I am saying 555

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

I smoke a pipe. CDC says no real harm; no filters on beach. Thoughts?

Haven't smelt the smoke from a pipe since when my dad was alive, didn't mind it back then, but couldn't tell you today, although I don't believe the smell of tobacco from a pipe would trigger coughing attacks or irritate one ?

22 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

There are so many studies out there by the WHO etc that the tax revenue is less than the health costs incurred by smokers.

You are totally correct I do recall reading something similar a few years ago.

Clearly a case of responding to a post without thinking, for which I stand admonished.

Archived