Karaoke bar owner in Chiang Mai arrested for allegedly pimping underage girls

webfact

Karaoke bar owner in Chiang Mai arrested for allegedly pimping underage girls

By The Nation

A karaoke bar owner and her assistant were arrested early Friday after allegedly offering paid sex with girls under 18 to undercover officials.

Suphannee Thisayana, 36, owner of Ban Hao Karaoke in Tambon Patum in Chiang Mai’s Prao district, and Sirinan Maneewan 35, were arrested shortly after midnight in a sting operation.

Police officers, Department of Special Investigation personnel and Prao district officials jointly planned the arrest after a girl, who used to work at the bar, complained to a non-governmental organisation that young girls were being forced to work as prostitutes at the bar.

The three agencies sent undercover officials to the bar late Thursday night and pretended to seek to buy services from three girls for Bt3,000 each.

When the two women brought out the girls, aged 14, 15 and 17, and took their money, the officials arrested them.

Both were charged with human trafficking.

Prao police station deputy chief Pol Lt-Colonel Walop Samathi said police would investigate whether there were other people involved in luring of young girls into the sex trade.

The three girls were placed in the care of officials and were to be sent to their families.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333487

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-08

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Odd, but sounds like the out girl was under grievance and acting under revenge. 

Does not really matter what her motivation was.
It is criminal and immoral in Thailand. In my opinion immoral anywhere, but here it is against the law.

7 hours ago, OmarZaid said:

Last time I checked (2006)  there were more prostitutes servicing locals than tourists: about 1 million more according to a Thai University Social Studies' assessment.

That has always been the case.  But look at the population of Thais against sex tourist foreigners.  Rural Thailand has thousands of local brothels that are strictly for Thais only.  The police get their cut and some own the places.  Others just enjoy the services supplied.

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

And your evidence for this is,?? 

Really, mate. Don't be naive. It is well documented, not just anecdotal evidence (of which there is mountains), and comments like yours can, unfortunately, have the effect of diluting the seriousness of the problem. 

12 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Not the point! 

There was no point. It was a meaningless observation within the context of the article.
Who cares why she reported a criminal enterprise?
Are you disappointed that now fewer underaged girls are available?

1 minute ago, Bill Miller said:

There was no point. It was a meaningless observation within the context of the article.
Who cares why she reported a criminal enterprise?
Are you disappointed that now fewer underaged girls are available?

Are you insinuating that I get young underage girls and am disappointed as now have less? Sorry pal. My Thai/American daughter is almost 15 years old and I am seriously rather protective. She is not allowed to even walk to the store. As for this sort of girl, way back in the old days when prevalent everywhere, I have been in remote places and in places like this before. I just ignore it as was there to drink and sing, not to engage in your subdued fantasy. My statement was purely just that: The girl probably had grievances and took revenge. Period!

If you can speak Thai and have ever been around other than your safe zones, then you would be able to speak.

18 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My Thai/American daughter is almost 15 years old and I am seriously rather protective. She is not allowed to even walk to the store.

At what age will you let her off the leash and what do you expect her to do then?

She has her freedom and I take her to visit friends and to school, but to walk by herself in most out areas like in Chiang Mai, I want her to go with someone. So I will rephrase, she needs to go with someone and is not allowed to go alone unless it is like after school and she is meeting me somewhere and there are herds of people around. Rapes and abductions are a common thing in Thailand and my daughter has a very nice look from being 1/2 and 1/2, and yes on a daily basis I do see the Thai men and kids staring at her as she sits on the back of my motorcycle. So I do take a hint.

If this was in the US, same thing. Not allowed. She is protected but not sheltered.

30 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

She has her freedom and I take her to visit friends and to school, but to walk by herself in most out areas like in Chiang Mai, I want her to go with someone. So I will rephrase, she needs to go with someone and is not allowed to go alone unless it is like after school and she is meeting me somewhere and there are herds of people around. Rapes and abductions are a common thing in Thailand and my daughter has a very nice look from being 1/2 and 1/2, and yes on a daily basis I do see the Thai men and kids staring at her as she sits on the back of my motorcycle. So I do take a hint.

If this was in the US, same thing. Not allowed. She is protected but not sheltered.

Same with my 19 year old daughter. Allowed no contact with any men outside her university grounds, would not get on a songtaw if she were the only passenger. Keep them safe!

9 hours ago, tryasimight said:

And your evidence for this is,?? 

Was in a local village and overheard 'mum' discussing selling her 11 year old daughter to a local brothel when she reached 12. 

Yes, I can understand Thai and yes, I stopped it happening.

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Was in a local village and overheard 'mum' discussing selling her 11 year old daughter to a local brothel when she reached 12. 

Yes, I can understand Thai and yes, I stopped it happening.

Shocking and well done for intervening when many would have chosen not to interfere with something which doesn't concern them. 

Out of curiosity: How did you 'stop it happening' and how did the other party respond to your 'interruption' ?

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Shocking and well done for intervening when many would have chosen not to interfere with something which doesn't concern them. 

Out of curiosity: How did you 'stop it happening' and how did the other party respond to your 'interruption' ?

I bought her, wasn't an enormous amount, has lived with my wife and I ever since as our daughter.

Top of her class all the way through CM high school, top of her class now at CM University.

Probably the nicest girl I have ever met in my life, and I am proud she calls me dad.

19 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I bought her, wasn't an enormous amount, has lived with my wife and I ever since as our daughter.

Top of her class all the way through CM high school, top of her class now at CM University.

Probably the nicest girl I have ever met in my life, and I am proud she calls me dad.

This is a humbling story...  You have truly made a real and positive difference to someones life....

.... I take my hat off to you MaeJoMTB.... 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is a humbling story...  You have truly made a real and positive difference to someones life....

.... I take my hat off to you MaeJoMTB.... 

Yeah, is a unique story that has a happy ending. So to speak literally not figuratively. 

On 12/10/2017 at 7:08 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

You, my friend, are awesome. I dips me lid to you.

On 12/10/2017 at 11:46 AM, holy cow cm said:

Are you insinuating that I get young underage girls and am disappointed as now have less? Sorry pal. My Thai/American daughter is almost 15 years old and I am seriously rather protective. She is not allowed to even walk to the store. As for this sort of girl, way back in the old days when prevalent everywhere, I have been in remote places and in places like this before. I just ignore it as was there to drink and sing, not to engage in your subdued fantasy. My statement was purely just that: The girl probably had grievances and took revenge. Period!

If you can speak Thai and have ever been around other than your safe zones, then you would be able to speak.

I was not the one speaking meaningless drivel, fool.

Archived